ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
A pretty simple question. If I have an AMD 1100T, and I use a gtx 590 will I have a bottleneck? If I WILL have a bottleneck, will OC'ing my 1100t remove the bottleneck? Thanks :D

I know that, but 680 is much much more efficient and cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125442

And the performance is not very far

bf3-2560.png

Although if you want to do something computional and rendering, 590 might be a better choice.

sandra-bandwidth.png

JJ1217

Honorable
+1 on 680. If you are going Nvidia's way, go for the 680. The last generation dual GPU cards were really disappointing, especially the 6990. The 590 is sort of redundant now any ways, as its not actually 3GB, its really 1.5 GB of vram per GPU. Its really, as I like to call it, a strong horse with short legs.

ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
The 680 and 590 are very closely priced, so in my mind i get more performance with the 590... Though smoothness has a serious appeal. I may not upgrade at all, but if I do this is good stuff to know. In terms of "efficiency" I don't really care. For me it's all about performance. (I'm not trying to be stubborn, I just really want to know what separates these two cards.) Thanks for the quick replies btw :)

ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Definitely another card to consider. Can someone give me a cut and dried answer as to why not a gtx 590? A straight across reason that actually matters? I'm not worried about voltage or cooling, so any other thoughts?

ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
THAT is a good reason. I'm now convinced.. But here's my question.. Should I upgrade my GPU anyways or just overclock my CPU as well? I'm using a gtx 570 twin frozr @ 1ghz, should I just buy a hyper 212 and make my CPU 4ghz and that will work well? Or should I actually upgrade my gpu? All I'm doing is single monitor 1080p atm

G

that gpu @ those settings will get you around a stock 7870 performance ( i am just saying this off the top of my head) and ought to give you good playable performance in any game. (see me say, "playable"? :lol: )

i think it would be logical to believe you would be best off getting a better heatsink to overclock the cpu regardless of whether or not you upgrade the gpu.

ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

I was afraid of the possible need for both options X(

G

you're willing to spend several hundred dollars for a gpu but tighten the budget about a $30 heatsink?
:eek:

ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Ahahahaha not quite, the thing is right now if I get a new gpu I can't afford the cooler, and if I get the cooler I can't afford a GPU. I'll probably go GPU first, but I'm considering keeping my setup as it is just because I only use one monitor. I'm torn because I want to have more performance but I will feel like I'm wasting money if I buy anything more for my PC.

G

did you add what you could sell the 570 in the upgrade budget?

put it up for sale for ~$175 plus shipping and it will sell faster than you could box it. then you'll have money for a cooler.

ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Yeah it's already factored in, that's the sucky thing. I'm trying to convince myself I don't need a new card and can just OC my cpu so I can be content with what I have.. But it's soo hard :p