Burner Problems

ArchZ

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
OK: So this has now officially become an obsession.
I've installed win2k on my system after completely reformatting the hard drive. Since I've done this, I continually get buffer under run errors when burning at 8x.
I didn't have this problem in win98 so I'm wondering what I've done wrong. Here's what I've done thus far:
updated promise drivers to win2k (ata100 hd)
bought a friggin 52x creative cd rom
switched from adaptec to nero
driven my household crazy.
enabled and unenabled ultra dma (one question here... when it is selected what value should I use, 1-5?)
It does the same thing each time... Has a underrun 5% through the burn process.
It doesn't do this if I save to the HD first, but I've never
had to do this before and I don't want to start now.
I don't think that it's the rest of the hardware, but I'm open to suggestions... tbird 900...133fsb
any ideas?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You've changed the DMA mode in the bios (go with the highest mode your HD and reader will allow; probably 5 and 2).

Now you have to enable DMA in Win2k. Heh.
Go to the device manager, and open up the Ata/Atapti controllers, and check the settings on the primary and secondary. Enable DMA for both. You hard disk defaults to DMA on, but your cdroms all default to PIO.

I can't remember. It's been so long since I've microwaved my Ezcd disk. I think you have some manual chucking-of-files to do in order to get nero to fully work after Ezcd. Ezcd is like radiation; you have to use hot water and scrub a lot.

And doing a direct copy of a protected cd will *always* crank a buffer underrun unless you drop down to 1x or 2x. I can't remember the last time I did a direct copy. Even when I backup my music cd's, I always cut-n-paste so I can fill up 80min instead of the 64min most cd's give you.

ArchZ

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
OK... That worked. Once I enabled dma under
the ata/atapti devices I was able to burn at 8x
on the fly. Thanks for the input.