Need help choosing a heatsink for new gaming pc

mrbowler

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hello. I am putting together a new gaming rig, and I need some advice on which heatsink to get. I have decided on an ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 with an Intel Core i5-3570K. The RAM will be CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB), and my case will probably be a Corsair Vengeance Series C70. Here are the three heatsinks I am deciding between (in no particular order):
1) COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2
2) Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
3) Noctua NH-D14

The main things I am concerned for are quietness, cooling, and will it fit my mobo/case with the RAM.

I would appreciate any input/advice or recommendations for other heatsinks/cooling methods. Thanks!

Solution
Just get the 212 EVO.
Great performance for the price.

Actually, you don't even need an aftermarket CPU cooler unless you're going to OC.
212 EVO would be good for up to 4.2GHz, NH-D14 should be good for up to 4.6GHz.

Make sure to get the low profile version of the Corsair Vengeance for significantly easier installation of the cooler.
I question why you need 16gb for a gaming rig though, when 8gb won't even be maxed out.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Just get the 212 EVO.
Great performance for the price.

Actually, you don't even need an aftermarket CPU cooler unless you're going to OC.
212 EVO would be good for up to 4.2GHz, NH-D14 should be good for up to 4.6GHz.

Make sure to get the low profile version of the Corsair Vengeance for significantly easier installation of the cooler.
I question why you need 16gb for a gaming rig though, when 8gb won't even be maxed out.

Solution

mrbowler

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

My reason for getting the aftermarket cooler is that I'm paranoid about overheating. I had a pc once, that I did not put together, that had terrible heat management and overheated all the time. I could only use the computer with the side panel off!

My reason for 16gb of RAM is that I thought it would improve the system speed overall.

heizenbrg

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
thanks to excella here, I made a pretty sick build ( it came out great!), have the same cpu as you and same motherboard. I got 8 GB of RAM though I got the G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB, which fit perfectly with the noctua nh-d14. Just finished it, seems like I'm getting great temps too. The noctua's thermal paste is great, kinda of thick though.
There is no firewire on the motherboard, I couldn't use it with the case that came with it. If it's also your first time, the manual has everything you need, except when it mentions asmedia serial ata 6gb.