Multiple Instances of the Same Device

I have a PCMCIA wireless network card and it has created
multiple devices, numbered in sequential order (i.e. #2,
#3, #4) and I'd like to know if anyone knows how to
delete the unused previous devices (I.e. #1, #2, #3)?
When I try to delete them in Safe Mode, Windows tells me
that it cannot delete, may be needed to start the PC.
Appreciate any help...
6 answers Last reply
More about multiple instances device

    Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Mnager, remove all instances of the
    offending device, reboot and Windows should redetect it.

    "Michael67" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I have a PCMCIA wireless network card and it has created
    > multiple devices, numbered in sequential order (i.e. #2,
    > #3, #4) and I'd like to know if anyone knows how to
    > delete the unused previous devices (I.e. #1, #2, #3)?
    > When I try to delete them in Safe Mode, Windows tells me
    > that it cannot delete, may be needed to start the PC.
    > Appreciate any help...
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    The only that I found to get rid of a network card was to reinstall XP. Device manager will not do it - even in safe mode. The card ID is part of the activation process (the hash # sent and received) so that is why XP will not allow you to delete it.
    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Michael67" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:747901c4764f$b30ec4c0$a401280a@phx.gbl...

    | I have a PCMCIA wireless network card and it has created
    | multiple devices, numbered in sequential order (i.e. #2,
    | #3, #4) and I'd like to know if anyone knows how to
    | delete the unused previous devices (I.e. #1, #2, #3)?
    | When I try to delete them in Safe Mode, Windows tells me
    | that it cannot delete, may be needed to start the PC.
    | Appreciate any help...
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Usually this is symptom of failed install - because you try to install a wrong driver,
    or something else. In some cases, the partially installed instances can be removed only with
    a little registry surgery. Please contact the provider of your device or driver, or look for
    professional help.

    --PA

    "Michael67" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:747901c4764f$b30ec4c0$a401280a@phx.gbl...

    > I have a PCMCIA wireless network card and it has created
    > multiple devices, numbered in sequential order (i.e. #2,
    > #3, #4) and I'd like to know if anyone knows how to
    > delete the unused previous devices (I.e. #1, #2, #3)?
    > When I try to delete them in Safe Mode, Windows tells me
    > that it cannot delete, may be needed to start the PC.
    > Appreciate any help...
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Thks for your reply. I know the driver was correct, so it
    must have been another issue. Netgear said that I have to
    contact MS to clear the registry. But, I cannot find how
    to do it anywhere in the knowledge base. You have any
    ideas? The network card worked great for months, until I
    was in my NJ office and suddenly, for whatever reason, it
    wouldn't work (despite the fact it usually worked well in
    both locations, NJ office and my other office). Now there
    are 4 instances of the same device (Network adapter)in my
    device manager. Appreciate your help...

    #2,
    >> #3, #4) and I'd like to know if anyone knows how to
    >> delete the unused previous devices (I.e. #1, #2, #3)?
    >> When I try to delete them in Safe Mode, Windows tells
    me
    >> that it cannot delete, may be needed to start the PC.
    >> Appreciate any help...
    >

    >.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Unfortunately I can't help with this without running regedit on your machine.
    If you know somebody who knows Windows and has your trust, ask them to help you using remote assistance of XP.

    But most probably these other instances are not the root cause of your real problem - so Netgear has to help you first to fix
    it.
    When you get it up and running, just don't pay attention to these instances until you find somebody who can delete them.

    --PA

    "Michael67" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7b4601c47709$84086450$a301280a@phx.gbl...

    > Thks for your reply. I know the driver was correct, so it
    > must have been another issue. Netgear said that I have to
    > contact MS to clear the registry. But, I cannot find how
    > to do it anywhere in the knowledge base. You have any
    > ideas? The network card worked great for months, until I
    > was in my NJ office and suddenly, for whatever reason, it
    > wouldn't work (despite the fact it usually worked well in
    > both locations, NJ office and my other office). Now there
    > are 4 instances of the same device (Network adapter)in my
    > device manager. Appreciate your help...

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Noted your comments, thks. Since I returned to my FL
    office, it seems to working fine. Strange... But, the 3
    previouse "instances" are still in the device manager.
    Would love to get rid of them. I have 2 hardware profiles
    setup, 1 for my NJ office and 1 for my FL office. I
    wonder if the "bug" lies in the "NJ Profile", since I was
    using my NJ profile when I had these problems.
    Possible??? Would it hurt to delete the NJ hardware
    profile?

    #3)?
    tells
    >> me