Problem with windows installer

kingtimbo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
whenever i try to uninstall open office windows installer givs me the error message:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"

i also get this message wen i try to install program that install via windows installer, but programs that use install shiled wizard uninstall fine.

any idea on what might be causing this? i beleve that i must have used windows installer to (un)install programs before but now it wont work

something else that may be usefull to know is that my HDD is stuck in read only, and i cannt change the ownership or permissions, so cant take it off read only without the system re applying read only imediatly after.

any help would be nice, as i have just bought cities XL of steem but cannt install it.

kingtimbo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
also, it is installed on my boot drive, which is the only drive in the system

somthing that i have just noticed somthing intresting in the system propertys, sysem protection tab, under avalable drives there are three listed, they are

W7U (C: ) (System)
\\?\volume{a852....so on}\
W7U (C: ) (Missing)

W7U is the name of my only hard drive, and i beleve it has two partions.

does the infomaton above mean my system thinks that part of the hard drive is missing?

kingtimbo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
just noticed another problem, i cant download things from the internet, and videos dont load. i get a error message saying the site cant be found. My internet history is clear and dosent log sites, and websites don't keep usernames :(. It seems my system find thing to put into tempory files, anyone ever encounted this before?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Try this:
Right click on my computer, select Manage. The Computer Management window will open. Click Disk Management on the left sidebar. You will see a list of drives available on your system. Find C: in the list, there you will see what is going on.
You should see any partitions on disk and in what state they are. It should say "Healthy" (Boot, Page file, Primary Partition....). There will also be a small "system reserved" partition which you don't touch.
I hate to say though, it sounds like your drive or OS may be in bad shape. The fact that you can boot into windows is a "good sign" that it's only your OS.
If you formatted yourself before you installed W7U, you may have formatted as "Dynamic Partition" which was a bad choice.
If its not too much hassle, kill the OS and re-install. Do the format in the W7U install by deleting all partitions and allowing Windows to do the format itself.

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Also try flushing your DNS - Start > CMD > ipconfig /flushdns

This may help with your internet things.

Also how much disk space do you have left?

I think it may be a virus issue too! Run a virus scan?

kingtimbo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
i ran a virus scan when i discovered the internet problems, and found three trojens on my pc :(, wich i beleve have now been removed. i flushed my DNS, but this has not effected my internet probs.

i have 80GB+ free space

my c: drive is healthy has three partitions, one 5.17gb called a recovery partion, one main one with everithing, system, boot page..., on it and a 18GB unalocated zone

i cloned this hard drive from another about 2 months ago, so i have a fully working system and dont realy need to reinstall windows, iv also lost the windows disk, its just a pain trancefering evrything

kingtimbo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
i just restarted my computer after flushing the dns, an now when i try to boot i get a message saying no bootable device detected. it says this with both the semi working and fully working HDDs, ill try reinstalling the BIOS. dose this somtimes happen when you flush DNS, or have i messed up by mobo? (i should add i have to manualy switch theHDDs)

TRENDING THREADS