HDD reading File repository folder while idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarante

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I have always noticed that my HDD starts reading something when my PC is idle so today I checked it out. It's reading a file repository folder in windows folder. It goes on for quite a while and the file names are bunch of numbers but the majority of them had "amd64" in the name.

What does this folder do exactly and why does my HDD read it when my PC is idle?

I also have an Intel processor so I can't understand why amd64 files are in there.

Solution

You will probably find it is reading in the winsxs folder, which is the Side By Side. This allows multiple versions of dll's and other resources to coexist on your computer, and applications which really on different versions of the same file to run, without the historical DLL hell, when a...
AMD64 files were actually adopted by intel for X64 instructions set. So don't worry - all modern windows 7 x64's have it.

What are your complete system specifications?

Anyways could be a number of things - could be your CPU powering, USB devices down/devices powering down.

To add to my comment - it could be windows update (they can update while idling), or even your antivirus running a scan.

What exact path of the AMD64 folder's are you referring to anyways? is it C:\windows\winSXS ?

Read this here:

http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html

That winSXS (if thats where the reading is occuring) has to do with many OS operations/drivers/programs. So it is very normal to see HDD activity during idle.

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

You will probably find it is reading in the winsxs folder, which is the Side By Side. This allows multiple versions of dll's and other resources to coexist on your computer, and applications which really on different versions of the same file to run, without the historical DLL hell, when a new install upgraded a version of a DLL that another application needs.

Windows manages all the trickiness behind it, and serving of the correct version DLL to the appropriate program.

The naming convention of the folders appears to be a binary format designation, and amd64 indicates a 64bit file, x86 a 32 bit file, msil a .NET file (i.e. not a native compiled binary). The others, come up with your own conclusions.

As to why your machine is reading the files, possibly a virus scan, or some other application configured to start work when the PC is idle (generally this is so it doesn't impact on your UE). You'd be better off checking out to see what application is performing the work, rather than looking at what files are being read. There are plenty of tools for this. Sysinternals provides a few (ProcMon, ProcessExplorer), even Task Manager (or Resource Monitor) is useful for this so see what starts using CPU cycles.

Edit: And some things can hide from Task Manager if you use it to view CPU activity, plus you need to make sure you are viewing for All Users, and Kernel activity shows as Idle activity in certain circumstances.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.