Sign in with
Your question

Best brand for 660 ti?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2012 5:02:22 AM

So I'm making the switch from AMD to Nvidia tomorrow by purchasing the 660 ti, but I was wondering who the best maker is? I was considering the MSI power edition one since everyone seems to love it. Just want to get peoples opinions.

More about : brand 660

October 7, 2012 5:15:43 AM

Unless you've already done it, don't buy a 660 Ti. They're a waste of money. You should either save your money and get a non-Ti 660 or get a Radeon 7950 instead. The 660 has similar performance for much less money and lower power consumption and the 7950 has generally better performance at about the same price and power consumption.

Either way, I like Gigabyte WindForce coolers, but I've heard issues with coil whine from some people with them. An Asus DC2 would probably be great and any EVGA card would probably be a little inferior, but would have a better warranty both on paper and in practice, guaranteed. For AMD cards, I generally prefer Sapphire or Asus.
October 7, 2012 5:16:25 AM

IMO-which ever one has the best warrenty- Most likely EVGA
Related resources
October 7, 2012 5:17:16 AM

If you prefer Nvidia go with it over ati, A few fps in performance is not a big deal to people who dont give two shits about bragging rights.
October 7, 2012 5:18:42 AM

MSI Power Edition was loved because it had unlocked voltage control IIRC. That is now being locked because Nvidia doesn't want to allow any voltage control and people will probably stop loving them.
October 7, 2012 5:21:43 AM

luciferano said:
Unless you've already done it, don't buy a 660 Ti. They're a waste of money. You should either save your money and get a non-Ti 660 or get a Radeon 7950 instead. The 660 has similar performance for much less money and lower power consumption and the 7950 has generally better performance at about the same price and power consumption.

Either way, I like Gigabyte WindForce coolers, but I've heard issues with coil whine from some people with them. An Asus DC2 would probably be great and any EVGA card would probably be a little inferior, but would have a better warranty both on paper and in practice, guaranteed. For AMD cards, I generally prefer Sapphire or Asus.

I was considering the 660 as well. I don't really play games with super high requirements all the time. I'm just worried about how long the card would hold up with games release in the next 2 years or so.
October 7, 2012 5:25:29 AM

Harwin21 said:
I was considering the 660 as well. I don't really play games with super high requirements all the time. I'm just worried about how long the card would hold up with games release in the next 2 years or so.

It'll hold up no worse than the 660 Ti. If you're this worried, then I recommend getting a Radeon 7950 and overclocking the heck out of it. Some good 7950 models can generally beat even the best 670s when it comes to overclocking potential (although not greatly so) and they have a better chance of being more future-proofed than any Nvidia card.

Just keep in mind that we can only try to future-proof, but we can't always predict how the industry will change and our efforts might be in vane no matter what we do. There will always be a better deal if you wait a few months no matter how many times you wait a few months and games can change.

Do you have a specific reason or reasons for wanting a Nvidia card?
October 7, 2012 5:26:33 AM

Harwin21 said:

I built my dad a computer awhile back hes still running a gtx 465 overclocked a bit, It runs boarderlands 2 at high settings with no lag. A 660ti is not going to have a issue playing games at med to high settings for awhile, Take into consideration that unless you can afford a card like 7950,7970,670,680,580,590,6990, and so on you will not have a good time maxing games out with aa and so on. Bragging right are a waste of money.
October 7, 2012 5:28:23 AM

cia24 said:
I built my dad a computer awhile back hes still running a gtx 465 overclocked a bit, It runs boarderlands 2 at high settings with no lag. A 660ti is not going to have a issue playing games at med to high settings for awhile, Take into consideration that unless you can afford a card like 7950,7970,670,680,580,590,6990, and so on you will not have a good time maxing games out with aa and so on. Bragging right are a waste of money.

The 7870 and the 660 are in the same performance tier as the 580. The 7950 is in the same price tier as the 660 Ti and 7950s generally overclock by 50-70% in total performance improvement, more than the more expensive 670 can do. I understand and partially agree with your argument, but it could use some polishing.
October 7, 2012 5:30:41 AM

luciferano said:
It'll hold up no worse than the 660 Ti. If you're this worried, then I recommend getting a Radeon 7950 and overclocking the heck out of it. Some good 7950 models can generally beat even the best 670s when it comes to overclocking potential (although not greatly so) and they have a better chance of being more future-proofed than any Nvidia card.

Just keep in mind that we can only try to future-proof, but we can't always predict how the industry will change and our efforts might be in vane no matter what we do. There will always be a better deal if you wait a few months no matter how many times you wait a few months and games can change.

I don't know why, but I always have trouble AMD cards and the drivers. When I first built my computer I got a 7870 and everything was fine for about a week then I would get random horizontal lines that flashed on my screen for a second, problems with flickering textures and bsods. I'm just tired of it.
October 7, 2012 5:32:42 AM

luciferano said:
The 7870 and the 660 are in the same performance tier as the 580. The 7950 is in the same price tier as the 660 Ti and 7950s generally overclock by 50-70% in total performance improvement, more than the more expensive 670 can do. I understand and partially agree with your argument, but it could use some polishing.

When are the people here at TOMS going to learn, Most of the people who post here seem to not want to overclock nor will they. Saying a video card is a % faster once overclocked over another card is pointless. Lets talk stock clocks.
October 7, 2012 5:34:11 AM

Harwin21 said:
I don't know why, but I always have trouble AMD cards and the drivers. When I first built my computer I got a 7870 and everything was fine for about a week then I would get random horizontal lines that flashed on my screen for a second, problems with flickering textures and bsods. I'm just tired of it.

AMD has made some huge improvements in drivers and now has no more problems than Nvidia for single GPU setups (multi-GPU has a little more room for improvement, but is very close). I too had an AMD card from the early days of the Radeon 7xxx generation, but by my friend's recommendation, I stuck with it and since the driver updates with Catalyst 12.7, I couldn't be happier with it. I recommend AMD for you unless you still want a Nvidia card in which case I can make recommendations for a 660 or 670, whichever you choose. I am completely against a 660 Ti, but if you really want it anyway, I can still make recommendations.
October 7, 2012 5:34:58 AM

cia24 said:
When are the people here at TOMS going to learn, Most of the people who post here seem to not want to overclock nor will they. Saying a video card is a % faster once overclocked over another card is pointless. Lets talk stock clocks.

I completely understand that. At stock clocks, the 660 is still about as good as the 660 Ti. For 7950 and 670, it depends on the model. Some 7950s are right up there, some are not. For example, the Sapphire Vapor-X, the Gigabyte WindForce, and a few other 7950 models are right with the 670s in stock performance, although they might still be a little behind something such as the Zotac AMP! 670.
October 7, 2012 5:38:50 AM

luciferano said:
I completely understand that. At stock clocks, the 660 is still about as good as the 660 Ti. For 7950 and 670, it depends on the model. Some 7950s are right up there, some are not.

I will say in this one case IMO amd has a better offering right now then Nvidia. When it come to mobile gpus I will always buy ATI, but for desktops I will stick with Nvidia.

Op, This is up to you, If you want to stay with nvidia I honestly would reccomend to go with a 670, the 660-660ti IMO are a flop. Alot of people assumed because of the sucess of the 560ti the 660ti would be better sadly its not.
October 7, 2012 5:42:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I might try my hand at the 7950 since people are saying AMD drivers have gotten better.
October 7, 2012 5:43:09 AM

Harwin21 said:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I might try my hand at the 7950 since people are saying AMD drivers have gotten better.

Both ATI and Nvidias drivers have gotten much better, as some have said dual gpu drivers will always suck.
October 7, 2012 5:46:45 AM

Harwin21 said:

I believe its because they cut the memory bandwidth for the 660TI that made it so inferior and also bad to overclock.
October 7, 2012 5:48:03 AM

xtwiinky said:
I believe its because they cut the memory bandwidth for the 660TI that made it so inferior and also bad to overclock.

The memory bandwidth is one issue, but the ROPs that were cut probably hurt too. You are correct in that either one of these or both (probably both) hold back 660 and 660 Ti overclocking greatly.
October 7, 2012 7:07:28 AM

i odnt understand the hate for the 660 ti. yes its true that right now its not worth it compared to a 7950, but when it came out, its price range was perfect! being right between a 7870 and a 7950 and being between these cards performance-wise too! in other words, the card is still pretty solid and can run any game out there maxed out, but atm, the 7950 is a much better deal for a pretty much identical price to the 660 ti.
October 7, 2012 7:08:42 AM

moddedmatt said:
i odnt understand the hate for the 660 ti. yes its true that right now its not worth it compared to a 7950, but when it came out, its price range was perfect! being right between a 7870 and a 7950 and being between these cards performance-wise too! in other words, the card is still pretty solid and can run any game out there maxed out, but atm, the 7950 is a much better deal for a pretty much identical price to the 660 ti.

The 660 performs very close for about $100 less money and significantly lower power consumption. Some 670s are only a little more expensive than the 660 Ti. The 660 and 660 Ti both also suck at overclocking very badly compared to other cards in their price ranges.The 660 Ti is hated on because it's a waste of money even compared to other Nvidia cards, let alone to overclocked AMD cards.
October 7, 2012 7:55:33 AM

The MSI PE OC is the fastest 660 Ti tested thus far, it even beat the TOP with much lower clocks after both were OCed. The new EVGA FTW Signature 2 version of the 660 Ti with non reference cooler could compete well against it though. We'll know more when the reviews come in.

I find it odd the 660 was recommended over it in a previous post, while suggesting a 7950 in the same post. It's not like the 660 Ti is a lemon, esp if you get one of the better ones.

As far as voltage locking, it's totally up to the card manufacturer. They're given the option to stay within Nvidia's recommendation and get the Nvidia warranty on the GPU, or set their own limitations and come up with their own warranty.
October 7, 2012 8:03:43 AM

Frag Maniac said:
The MSI PE OC is the fastest 660 Ti tested thus far, it even beat the TOP with much lower clocks after both were OCed. The new EVGA FTW Signature 2 version of the 660 Ti with non reference cooler could compete well against it though. We'll know more when the reviews come in.

I find it odd the 660 was recommended over it in a previous post, while suggesting a 7950 in the same post. It's not like the 660 Ti is a lemon, esp if you get one of the better ones.

As far as voltage locking, it's totally up to the card manufacturer. They're given the option to stay within Nvidia's recommendation and get the Nvidia warranty on the GPU, or set their own limitations and come up with their own warranty.

660 is about as good as a 660 Ti despite being far cheaper and more power efficient. 660 Ti is inferior to the similarly priced 7950. That's why I don't recommend them. The only ones that come close to being worth buying are the 3GB models and that's because they tend to hit higher memory overclocks to try to make up for their overly slim memory bus while also being true 3GB cards, unlike the 3GB cards that are actually 1.5GB plus .5GB (GiB, not GB, to be more accurate) with the last .5GB runing at oen third of the bandwidth of the first 1.5GB. However, they're too close to the cheaper 670s in price and are thus still not worth buying.

Nvidia seems to be locking down on the voltage locking/unlocking.
October 7, 2012 3:19:02 PM

luciferano said:
660 is about as good as a 660 Ti despite being far cheaper and more power efficient. 660 Ti is inferior to the similarly priced 7950. That's why I don't recommend them. The only ones that come close to being worth buying are the 3GB models and that's because they tend to hit higher memory overclocks to try to make up for their overly slim memory bus while also being true 3GB cards, unlike the 3GB cards that are actually 1.5GB plus .5GB (GiB, not GB, to be more accurate) with the last .5GB runing at oen third of the bandwidth of the first 1.5GB. However, they're too close to the cheaper 670s in price and are thus still not worth buying.

I don't know....I am happy with my Asus 660 Ti. I didn't want to spend the extra $90 for the 670 and at the same time wasn't willing to save the $90 for a 660 which has slightly lower performance in games that rely heavily on shader performance. I was an AMD user in my last build...my 5850 performed well for three years, but the drivers have been horrible and I wanted to switch back to Nvidia because their drivers work better with FSX.

With my setup I am seeing an average of 60 FPS in BF3 with occasional drops down to 54. I usually look for two to three years of useage and I think with the 660 Ti that will be more likely. It all depends on what you play and how much you want to spend, but I have to say that I think Nvidia is a better product mainly because their driver support has been consistently good over the years (I've had several Nvidia cards).

Finally, take a look at this article and benchmarks : http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...

Although not a huge difference now, in the future settling for a 660 versus 660 Ti could mean the difference between playing at medium or high settings depending upon the game.
October 7, 2012 5:11:25 PM

Wasn't the topic....which is the best 660ti?

Can tomshardware people stay on topic? Someone asked what is the best 660ti.
The answer is MSI PE. Love it, but if you can get a 660ti for $30 less than the MSI PE then buy that.
October 7, 2012 7:12:37 PM

envy14tpe said:
Wasn't the topic....which is the best 660ti?

Can tomshardware people stay on topic? Someone asked what is the best 660ti.
The answer is MSI PE. Love it, but if you can get a 660ti for $30 less than the MSI PE then buy that.

Don't forget how many of the MSI PEs have been recalled; it's due to faulty power delivery on the card if I remember correctly. I'd say that the best 660 Ti would be one of the 3GB models. They tend to be able to overclock the memory more than the 2GB models, at least from what I've read, so they can better alleviate their memory bandwidth bottle-neck.
October 7, 2012 11:00:19 PM

luciferano said:

As mentioned, he wasn't asking about GPUs in general, just which 660 Ti is best. You're also wrong that the 660 is about as good as the 660 Ti. There are CLEAR differences, and these kind of exaggerations are what make a lot of Nvidia shoppers ignore AMD shoppers that only want to talk AMD and/or low prices.

Furthermore, the 660 Ti competes quite well with the 7950 in bench tests both stock and OCed, and it does it while running cooler and quieter. You also get worse software support from AMD, it's one of the most common reason so many switch from AMD to Nvidia.

As for amount and bus width of VRAM, 3GB is only useful beyond 1080p, and only in certain games, and the 192 bus does not in fact cripple the 660 Ti as you claim. Nvidia worked hard on how efficiently GDDR5 is used between the launch of the 670 and 660 Ti, so they get by on 192 just fine. It's one of the first points that was verified in most reviews.

I also find it absurd you'd advocate the 660 when it in fact uses a 192 bus too. Then again, AMD shoppers are suckers for low prices. What gets me is they were still preaching AMD is better even BEFORE AMD had to lower prices when Nvidia's cards were kicking their butts for less money even at launch prices.

So yeah, as requested, AMD people need to stay on topic. Did you not notice this is an NVIDIA board where Nvidia customers come to talk Nvidia cards? :sarcastic: 

luciferano said:
Don't forget how many of the MSI PEs have been recalled; it's due to faulty power delivery on the card if I remember correctly. I'd say that the best 660 Ti would be one of the 3GB models. They tend to be able to overclock the memory more than the 2GB models, at least from what I've read, so they can better alleviate their memory bandwidth bottle-neck.

This is nonsense, the MSI PE OC is the fastest and one of the most reliable 660 Ti tested so far, and there's nothing wrong with the power delivery if they're used responsibly. There's also no bottleneck as you claim with the bus because again, Nvidia made their implementation of GDDR5 more efficient since the 670s were made, so less bus width can be used. As for VRAM capacity, only a handful of games benefit from 3GB, and it wouldn't even show unless you play at 1440p or higher.
October 7, 2012 11:16:33 PM

Frag Maniac said:
As mentioned, he wasn't asking about GPUs in general, just which 660 Ti is best. You're also wrong that the 660 is about as good as the 660 Ti. There are CLEAR differences, and these kind of exaggerations are what make a lot of Nvidia shoppers ignore AMD shoppers that only want to talk AMD and/or low prices.

Furthermore, the 660 Ti competes quite well with the 7950 in bench tests both stock and OCed, and it does it while running cooler and quieter. You also get worse software support from AMD, it's one of the most common reason so many switch from AMD to Nvidia.

As for amount and bus width of VRAM, 3GB is only useful beyond 1080p, and only in certain games, and the 192 bus does not in fact cripple the 660 Ti as you claim. Nvidia worked hard on how efficiently GDDR5 is used between the launch of the 670 and 660 Ti, so they get by on 192 just fine. It's one of the first points that was verified in most reviews.

I also find it absurd you'd advocate the 660 when it in fact uses a 192 bus too. Then again, AMD shoppers are suckers for low prices. What gets me is they were still preaching AMD is better even BEFORE AMD had to lower prices when Nvidia's cards were kicking their butts for less money even at launch prices.

So yeah, as requested, AMD people need to stay on topic. Did you not notice this is an NVIDIA board where Nvidia customers come to talk Nvidia cards? :sarcastic: 

Oh sorry, I didn't know a few percent slower is a CLEAR difference. It most certainly isn't visible in-game.

The 660 Ti does not compete well with the 7950. In OC versus OC, it's not even a comparison, it's a slaughter. Even at stock, the 660 Ti has consistently inferior minimum frame rates and far inferior scaling with MSAA and more.

That 3GB isn't better than 2GB is irrelevant. It's better than 1.5GB even at 1080p and the 2GB models of the 660 and the 660 Ti take a considerable performance scaling hit at 1.5GB that gets a little worse as you continue to load it up. That's because that last .5GB runs at a mere one third of the bandwidth of the first 1.5GB (a result of 2GB being on a 192 bit bus). That the 660 Ti and the 660 don't perform exactly as well as the 670 proves that even at 1080p, that memory bus and ROP setup, especially with some good MSAA, is a limiting factor.

The 660 also has a 192 bit bus, but it's at a price level where that's not as much of a big deal. It doesn't need to perform like a $300 or $400 card when it's only priced around $200-240.

Of course, you accuse us of fanboyism when you don't even understand what's wrong with the frame buffer. Your edit that I just read proves that you didn't know the seriousness of the issues with the memory configuration nor the entire set of problems.
October 8, 2012 2:29:36 AM

There's much more than a "few percent" difference between the 660 and 660 Ti, you'd have to be reading doctored benches to think so. And you still don't get that while AMD is still struggling on things like Xfire scaling (among other things, including STILL not getting software support down), Nvidia improves upon efficiency even within their architecture reboots, such as happened with the 660 Ti since the 670 launch. The 192 bus thing is not a crippler like you and all the other AMD fanboys claim. Nor does 3GB even apply unless you are playing one of a handful of demanding games at 1440p or higher.

Besides, as you were already told, you are ranting off topic and not even addressing the question asked. Do you need a mod to tell you that? The thread is "Best brand for 660 Ti", get it? And again, this is an NVIDIA board. Are you lost?
October 8, 2012 2:38:28 AM

luciferano said:

I didn't know MSI PE had more issues than other cards. I've had no problems. My 660Ti is running awesome and runs BF3 like a champ.
October 8, 2012 2:39:32 AM

Frag Maniac said:
There's much more than a "few percent" difference between the 660 and 660 Ti, you'd have to be reading doctored benches to think so. And you still don't get that while AMD is still struggling on things like Xfire scaling (among other things, including STILL not getting software support down), Nvidia improves upon efficiency even within their architecture reboots, such as happened with the 660 Ti since the 670 launch. The 192 bus thing is not a crippler like you and all the other AMD fanboys think. Nor does 3GB even apply unless you are playing one of a handful of demanding games at 1440p or higher.

Besides, as you were already told, you are ranting off topic and not even addressing the question asked. Do you need a mod to tell you that?

AMD is serving out generally superior CFX scaling compared to SLI and has nearly identical multi-GPU support to Nvidia. They're not struggling with it.

The evidence suggests otherwise about the bus and you're misunderstanding of what's beign explained to you shows that you shouldn't be making claims such as you are. I'l say this again. It doesn't matter that 3GB is no better than 2GB for 1080p because it can be better than 1.5GB even at 1080p. The GTX 660 and 660 Ti 2GB models suffer fro ma performance loss beyond their already weak memory bus at 1.5GB and higher frame buffer usage because they are not conventional 2GB cards. One of the memory controllers has 1GB and the other two controllers have .5GB each. That means that the controller with 1GB is the only one that can access that last .5GB of memory, so it can only be accessed at one third of the bandwidth of the first 1.5GB of memory. Interleaving and such alleviate the issue, but it still hurts performance scaling beyond 1.5GB of frame buffer. The 3GB models fix this as well as tend to overclock better, presumably because they have fewer memory chips, so outliers in memory IC binning are less likely.

Informing OP that the 660 Ti is not a good option is not being off topic. What is off topic are your ramblings considering that OP has already chosen to go with a 7950, yet you're still stuck on the start of the conversation in this thread.
October 8, 2012 2:40:36 AM

envy14tpe said:
I didn't know MSI PE had more issues than other cards. I've had no problems. My 660Ti is running awesome and runs BF3 like a champ.

It might have had more to do with people using its unlocked voltage configuration improperly, my mistake if so.
October 8, 2012 2:49:19 AM

luciferano said:
It might have had more to do with people using its unlocked voltage configuration improperly, my mistake if so.

There's FAR more misleading assumptions and mistakes you're making than that. Like I said, pretty much every anti Nvidia trolling you've done here was unasked for, off topic, and biased.

Your prior post starting out with Xfire scales better rather exemplifies your denial of Nvidia's performance.

I think it's time for you to follow the trail of tears back home...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-33-210.html

If AMD customers were as happy as you all claim, you why do you bother constantly trying to convince Nvidia customers your cards are better? Makes your denial obvious. Methinks thou doth protest too much.
October 8, 2012 3:03:30 AM

Frag Maniac said:
There's FAR more misleading assumptions and mistakes you're making than that. Like I said, pretty much every anti Nvidia trolling you've done here was unasked for, off topic, and biased.

Your prior post starting out with Xfire scales better rather exemplifies your denial of Nvidia's performance.

I think it's time for you to follow the trail of tears back home...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-33-210.html

If AMD customers were as happy as you all claim, you why do you bother constantly trying to convince Nvidia customers your cards are better? Makes your denial obvious. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Gee, why am I trying to convince people that the radeons are better this round in many ways... Oh, I don't know, it might have to do with them having superior overclocking headroom, superior scaling with MSAA (Nvidia made a new type of AA to mask this issue rather than solve this issue, although TXAA did turn out to be a damn good job of it in the what is it, one game that supports it right now), superior scaling with higher resolutions, and such. CFX has scaled better even since the Radeon 69xx video cards, although drivers were occasionally a little more problematic than they are now.

SLI on the Kepler GPUs made some great improvements in scaling, but the problem with it is that Nvidia's GTX 660 ad 660 Ti's memory bus becomes an even greater issue when you increase the load to make use of the performance. Even with the 670 and 680 that don't have this issue, AMD still has superior scaling in other ways as proven by their performance improving relative to Nvidia with increased resolution and/or MSAA and Crossfire setups bring this out to a greater extent.

Sorry if it offends you that Nvidia didn't do as good of a job as they could have (don't worry, I'm not so biased as to think that this happened because they couldn't do better, I realize that they probably just didn't want to do better) and that AMD exceeded expectations (although it took AMD way too long to get proper driver support and too long to get an Enduro hot fix). I simply say it how it is.

I don't need any trail of tears or crap like that. This is an internet forum. I don't know you nor anyone else here and I don't care what anyone here thinks of me just as no one here should care about what I think of them. I see that you need to get over yourself even worse than I need to get over myself. Seriously now. This is a public forum, it's not some place for bashing people for disagreeing with you.
October 8, 2012 3:37:00 AM

luciferano said:

The PE does have 3 voltage settings. However, most people that are trying to do a safe OC of their PE only adjust the Core Voltage. I only adjusted the Core Voltage and left the Memory and Aux Voltage alone. Here you can see the result.

This runs stable. I have no issues and temps never get over 73C in a 26C room. With that said..
Some people think that OCing means you pull all the bars to the right. That's extremely stupid and if people do so then they will encounter problems. OCing is very easy to learn and does yield improvement, as much as a 10-20% performance boost above the Nvidia reference model.

I consider the PE to be the best 660Ti and if someone is in the market for one then I'd give it a recommendation.
February 8, 2013 7:48:16 PM

luciferano said:

1 Reason why to buy Nvidia: PHYSX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU
!