Sign in with
Your question

Am I just really lucky or is this normal?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2012 5:17:41 AM

So I have a MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III. I've achieved a STABLE 1ghz clock on it which I've never heard of anyone getting. Is this normal and I just haven't noticed or am I really lucky to get a 570 that does 1ghz?

More about : lucky normal

October 7, 2012 5:17:50 AM

By the way my voltage is 1.1 V
m
l
October 7, 2012 5:34:23 AM

Look at my clocks in my signature, I soar past the $400 660ti (In my country, and AU dollars are worth more than US), and my card was only $250. Nibbles on the 670 feet.
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2012 6:56:55 AM

JJ1217 said:
Look at my clocks in my signature, I soar past the $400 660ti (In my country, and AU dollars are worth more than US), and my card was only $250. Nibbles on the 670 feet.

How on earth did you get to a 1400/1500 overclock on a 7850? Most top out around the 1200/1400 range before serious voltage (the damaging benchmark-only territory) is needed.

Both are a little hard to believe (but very impressive if they function fine that way), but I'll bite. What cooling solutions, voltages, and benchmark and stress utilities used?

A tip about DDR5 memory though, it can usually clock VERY high, but it has error correction in the chips. What happens is through testing only will you find a spot where performance starts to degrade actually, then users turn their clock back at least 25 Mhz or until performance starts to tick back up.
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:04:50 AM

matt_b said:
How on earth did you get to a 1400/1500 overclock on a 7850? Most top out around the 1200/1400 range before serious voltage (the damaging benchmark-only territory) is needed.

Both are a little hard to believe (but very impressive if they function fine that way), but I'll bite. What cooling solutions, voltages, and benchmark and stress utilities used?

A tip about DDR5 memory though, it can usually clock VERY high, but it has error correction in the chips. What happens is through testing only will you find a spot where performance starts to degrade actually, then users turn their clock back at least 25 Mhz or until performance starts to tick back up.

It's GDDR5, not DDR5.

1.4GHz GPU isn't unusual for a good 7850 with water cooling or excellent modded/after-market air cooling.

1.5GHz GDDR5 is normal for any cooler that properly cools the memory and should not hinder performance with its ECC. Much higher frequencies are normal, depending on the model.
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:11:46 AM

JJ1217 said:

Notice I'm talking about a GTX 570. Not a 7850.......
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:14:09 AM

luciferano said:
It's GDDR5, not DDR5.

1.4GHz GPU isn't unusual for a good 7850 with water cooling or excellent modded/after-market air cooling.

1.5GHz GDDR5 is normal for any cooler that properly cools the memory and should not hinder performance with its ECC. Much higher frequencies are normal, depending on the model.

Pardon for missing the "G" off the video RAM comment (hard to break habit). The info about how "G"DDR5 operates stands, as this is a common occurrence on some user's cards that push the clocks too high.

We don't know what kind of cooling here, which is why I asked. This is posted in the normal Nvidia section, not the overclocking area, and not the watercooling section. The RAM isn't as hard to believe as a 540 Mhz overclock on a GPU though......until the answer to the cooling question comes.

For the GTX570, I'm curious about both cards here though. I haven't heard of such a high OC on a stock HSF for this card either.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 7:24:09 AM

ArcticWonder said:
So I have a MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III. I've achieved a STABLE 1ghz clock on it which I've never heard of anyone getting. Is this normal and I just haven't noticed or am I really lucky to get a 570 that does 1ghz?

read thru here....see what ya find :) 

http://www.overclock.net/t/929152/have-you-killed-a-570...
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:32:48 AM

Pretty interesting read there. Hard to imagine Nvidia would get their reference design wrong, but who am I kidding because it happens with all manufacturers. More interesting is those with the 6 phase design not seemingly having the issue......
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:34:37 AM

matt_b said:
Pardon for missing the "G" off the video RAM comment. The info about how "G"DDR5 operates stands, as this is a common occurrence on some user's cards that push the clocks too high.

We don't know what kind of cooling here, which is why I asked. This is posted in the normal Nvidia section, not the overclocking area, and not the watercooling section. The RAM isn't as hard to believe as a 540 Mhz overclock on a GPU though......until the answer to the cooling question comes.

For the GTX570, I'm curious about both cards here though. I haven't heard of such a high OC on a stock HSF for this card either.

There is a huge difference between DDR5 and GDDR5 despite the similar names, so it's not something to act funny about when spreading such misconceptions, intentionally or otherwise.

1GHz seems unusually high for a 570's GPU IMO, but 1.4GHz is not so unusual for a properly cooled 7850'a GPU.
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:36:27 AM

luciferano said:
There is a huge difference between DDR5 and GDDR5 despite the similar names, so it's not something to act funny about when spreading such misconceptions, intentionally or otherwise.

1GHz seems unusually high for a 570's GPU IMO, but 1.4GHz is not so unusual for a properly cooled 7850'a GPU.

I think you're reading too far in to this. I never said you're wrong. It was a typo - different from misinformation.

Back to the topic.......
m
l
October 7, 2012 9:55:42 AM

luciferano said:

Non Reference fan, not water cooled, but the voltage isn't excessively high as some others who have hit 1.4 GHZ on a 7850.
m
l
October 7, 2012 9:57:59 AM

JJ1217 said:
Non Reference fan, not water cooled, but the voltage isn't excessively high as some others who have hit 1.4 GHZ on a 7850.

Do you mind if I ask what model you have and what your voltages are?
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:04:20 AM

Yeah no worries, note I don't normally game with those stats for too long, as it sometimes hits 100C when I am gaming, I normally have it set on a normal overclock, 1200 mhz core and 1300 mem.

Sapphire HD 7850, which is voltage locked, I got the unlocked bios for it

My voltage when I overclocked it was at 1222 mv from a standard 1130 mv I believe, the highest I could go in Asus GPU Tweak. Surprised when it was stable, though I don't like the temps so I normally don't keep it that way.

No doubt if I actually figure out how to watercool I'll probably keep it at those clocks, but 100 degrees is too high for me. AND ITS SO LOUD

m
l
October 7, 2012 10:06:20 AM

JJ1217 said:
Yeah no worries, note I don't normally game with those stats for too long, as it sometimes hits 100C when I am gaming, I normally have it set on a normal overclock, 1200 mhz core and 1300 mem.

Sapphire HD 7850, which is voltage locked, I got the unlocked bios for it

My voltage when I overclocked it was at 1222 mv from a standard 1130 mv I believe, the highest I could go in Asus GPU Tweak. Surprised when it was stable, though I don't like the temps so I normally don't keep it that way.

No doubt if I actually figure out how to watercool I'll probably keep it at those clocks, but 100 degrees is too high for me. AND ITS SO LOUD

Hmm. Water cooling is very expensive. If you want to, I bet that a very good after-market air cooler would do the trick much more cheaply.

I'll shut up about it in this thread now, sorry to have hijacked it so much, OP ;) 
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:08:36 AM

Its not the price, its the actually setting up of it. I'd love a closed loop cooler or something, that doesn't need to be maintained, and does it automatically, for CPU's like the H80. Is there anything like that for GPU's?
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:12:15 AM

JJ1217 said:
Its not the price, its the actually setting up of it. I'd love a closed loop cooler or something, that doesn't need to be maintained, and does it automatically, for CPU's like the H80. Is there anything like that for GPU's?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Nothing cheap AFAIK.

Even the top air cooler on Newegg is about half the price and still pretty darned excellent.
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:14:37 AM

Ouch, if its that expensive in America, its probably 2x as expensive in Australia :'( 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 10:17:42 AM

Actually, its not!
Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

If you get into custom watercooling, I'v heard that there is a GPU water-block that has its own pump built in. Though it doesn't have a radiator or reservoir built in, so not an all-in-one.

So something is priced right down here in Australia!
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:18:49 AM

manofchalk said:
I think there is something like that.
Its basically a hybrid air heatsink and water-cooler.

If you get into custom watercooling, I'v heard that there is a GPU water-block that has its own pump built in. Though it doesn't have a radiator or reservoir built in, so not an all-in-one.

Custom loops are great, but they're often even more expensive than prebuilt/closed loop coolers and more work, aren't they?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 10:20:24 AM

They are more expensive and do require more work to setup, but you get significantly better cooling and expandability. Cant throw another radiator into a H100, but on my loop I could so so quite easily.
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:24:29 AM

manofchalk said:
Actually, its not!

So something is priced right down here in Australia!

WOW! SOMETHING THAT ISN'T PRICED RIDICULOUSLY HIGH EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE NO TARIFFS AGAINST IT! NO WAY!
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:26:29 AM

In the interests that I do not want to hijack this thread, I won't post anymore :p . Might wait for an 8970 and get a branded reference one, and then put one of these coolers on it :p 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 10:30:28 AM

I would invest in a proper WC loop, for the (near) price of that all-in-one you can get a full CPU WC kit.
Then add in a 8970 water block (maybe ~$150 at most. Some 7970 blocks are going for $80) when they eventually release. Will get you much better performance and upgradability.

Yeah, we shouldn't de-rail the thread.
m
l
October 7, 2012 8:03:57 PM

So I never actually got my answer here... Regarding the GTX 570.. If anyone HAS ONE and overclocks it... Is 1ghz good for this card?
m
l
October 7, 2012 8:15:05 PM

ArcticWonder said:
So I never actually got my answer here... Regarding the GTX 570.. If anyone HAS ONE and overclocks it... Is 1ghz good for this card?

Sorry about that :( 

I don't know for sure, but I think that 1GHz is unusually high for a 570. I did a very short Google search and nothing came up of it, but we'd probably find something if we spent more than a few seconds looking.
m
l
October 7, 2012 8:16:53 PM

I'll just pretend it's really good to make myself feel better :p 
m
l
October 8, 2012 2:41:20 AM

ArcticWonder said:

The answers are there (have to weed through the detour there, but they're in there), but we were curious what kind of cooling you have and so on.........
m
l
October 8, 2012 2:48:08 AM

matt_b said:
The answers are there (have to weed through the detour there, but they're in there), but we were curious what kind of cooling you have and so on.........

I'd already told you. Twin frozr III.
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:38:20 PM

ArcticWonder said:
I'd already told you. Twin frozr III.

Then yes, you are very lucky on air for that overclock. For reference, I have an ICEQ model, but that wouldn't tell you that it's water cooled.
If you're running at 1.1 volts though, what's your stock voltage for this model?
m
l
!