Computer does not power up after working well for 2 hours

earvinarp

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I built a new system, which seemed to be fine for about 2 hours. After two hours, I gently moved the case a bit, while on, and it suddenly turned off immediately. It would not start again at all. If I had knocked something, I would suspect some damage, but I truly doubt this could have happened. Right now, I power the PSU and the lights on the motherboard turn on. However, when I hit the switch in the motherboard, it makes a quick attempt to power up, lights on the case flash for a second, fans spin a bit, but then it all stops immediately.

I ran a not so reliable test on the power supply and it may be failing. Is it logical at this point to think the problem is the PSU? Is the most reasonable avenue to order a new one, maybe more powerful? I may have aimed too low with the wattage (using 460W on an i7-3770K Ivy Bridge / HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 / ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE)

Thank you for the advice,
Alvaro

4745454b

Titan
I'm going to guess not a quality PSU.

Might be a short. Worked because it wasn't shorted, then when you moved the case whatever slipped and is now shorting. Are you sure you screwed down the motherboard tight and correctly? No extra standoffs? You can try pulling the ram and ATX bundle and then powering up again when all that is reattched. But either bad mounting or PSU.

thinbear

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
try unplug the PSU (the power cord), wait 30 sec (or when you see the LED on the mobo dimmed off), then plug the cord back and turn it on (may need to turn it on twice)