Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 issues - Kernal Stopped Working etc.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2012 6:37:30 AM

Hey there.

So today I upgraded from a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 to an EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Edition. I tried playing Crysis 2 with the ultra texture pack installed as well as DirectX 11 ultra installed, and it ran fine... for a few minutes. It then proceeded to "stop working" and quit Crysis. I tried playing another game, Blacklight Retribution, which quit for other reasons (missing files) so I went to go play Counter Strike: Global Offensive... which in the very first menu it would go to a black screen for about 5 seconds then return to the menu and let me do stuff.... this happens in all of my games now as well... quite frustrated. I installed all of the latest drivers, none of which have worked. I also made sure that in my BIOS, the PCI option was set for priority graphics. I re-installed all drivers, I re-installed the card, I don't really know what to do now.

Thanks to all answers.

Cheers.
October 7, 2012 6:45:34 AM

Also, my current build if it helps is:

i5 2500k
GTX 670 FTW
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
16gb RAM
1TB Seagate Barracuda @7200 RPM
64GB Samsung 830 Series SSD
Corsair TX750M semi-modular PSU (750 watt)
Corsair H80 CPU cooler
m
l
October 7, 2012 6:36:22 PM

Well it turned out being the card. I exchanged it for a new one at Micro Center and this one works perfect. Be careful with the 670's I've heard about a lot of people having issues with them. Not that they're not amazing cards, just that EVGA may have had some issues with a batch of their cards. I haven't heard of too many long term issues. Hopefully this helps everyone who had this question.
m
l
Related resources
!