Home Networking

G

I have two computers, one is win98 the other RedHat linux. In order to share my DSL connection, what kind of hardware would you guys recommend? All I have is a USB interface dsl modem, that’s all. Do I need any additional software?
Thanks for advice!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rongli on 08/03/01 10:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Unfortunately you don't have what it takes with that USB modem. You'll need an ethernet modem to share. If you want to buy an ethernet modem then you can buy one of a number of DSL/Cable routers on the market including LinkSys, SMC, DLink, Netgear. They're all pretty much the same with minor differences. The LinkSys usually gets the nod as most popular. although I like the SMC Barricade because of the added printer port feature.

In addition, there are a number of software solutions out there, even for Linux if you want to go that route.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

How long have you had your DSL service? I can't believe they let you have the USB modem. If I was in the same situation I would call my ISP and complain of problems with my modem. I only say this because I used to install DSL and I've seen a lot of problems with USB modems. In fact when I left they weren't even giving people the option of a USB modem. I would complain and try to get the standard network interface modem then buy a router (as suggested in the previous reply). But that's just me, heh. :smile:
Good Luck.

<font color=blue>This space left intentionally blank. Doh!</font color=blue>

G

Thanks for your post.
I’ve had it for two weeks now. There are two TCP/IP listed in my Network properties and I think that’s responsible for the slowness of connecting a website. Fortunately, swbell has agreed to swap a Ethernet modem for me and the new one is on the way.

G

:cool:
I'm glad it all worked out for you.
I'm sure you will be much happier with the ethernet version.

<font color=blue>This space left intentionally blank. Doh!</font color=blue>

kevstev

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
to share your connection, you have some options. The USB modem has got to go. shoo. goodbye. you can... buy one of those excessively expensive routers, or you can set up a server using linux or win2000. I personally have a server running ftp, web, and email services using a free domain from dhs.org, Using optimum online on Long Island. Its been up for a few months, no one has said anything, and I dont have to worry about space limitations on my website, I can pick my own email address... etc... the benefits are great. If they find out, I can just reroute my services to different ports... all but the web stuff is for my own personal use. If you want details on how I did it, let me know ( I have done this in both linux and win2k).
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...

G

Thanks for your offer to help. I just might need it.
I got my new Ethernet modem yesterday and it came with Kingston KNE111TX Fast EtheRx VPII 10/100TX PCI Adapter. I’ll try to install it under Red Hat Linux 7.1 tonight. Don’t have any driver for it and don’t know where to get one (tried Kingston’s website but they don’t have a Linux driver for this card). I’ll see how it goes tonight.