Which came first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the chicken or the egg, which came first? The Great wall of China, or ladders?

This is a question with no definitive answers, the facts are long since gone and we may need to defer to religion to answer this.

I'd like to believe ladders were invented as a countermeasure to the great wall of china. After all, who would build a giant wall around a county to keep people out if all you had to do was raise a ladder? If only we could ask the ladder (or the chicken).

I see your point and it makes sense however I would argue that beyond your version of facts, there are someone else's beliefs which may be equally right.

Take your facts. We don't have conclusive evidence that the Mongols were even there at that time, much less horses. Even if their WERE horses, we would just be arguing whether the Wall or RAMPS came first, which would be pointless because we know RAMPS were here long before humans ( look at mountains for instance ).

I think a reinactment should clear this up. Some people find reinactments reinforce facts. In fact, I have toothpicks.

I will let you know my conclusive findings.

Thats easy, the wall was built because the emperor was trying to find a new way besides jumping to go higher, thus the wall, and later, the laaaaaadder
dr-evil_59169.jpg

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
The Great Wall is a series of walls built by the Chinese over a long period of time. The first sections were started sometime around the 5th century BC. The ladder has been in use for at least 10,000 years as evidenced by cave paintings in Spain.

So the conclusion I have come to is:
Horses are afraid of ladders. However, from my elaborate toothpick diorama, I have found strong correlation between the great (toothpick) wall of china and the inventions of ladders.

We may never know. If only I had access to that owl who predicted the number of licks to get to the center of the blowpop.

Ladders, way back, builders would use a single pole and wrap their legs/feet around that for safety. A bit like a lap dancer does now, not that I visit such establishments of sin and corruption, frequently. :D

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

It is exactly people like you who invented religion in the first place, who invented higher being. People back then had to "defer to religion" in oreder to answer questions they couldn't answer. The bad things is that people today still abide by those superstitions created thousandss of years ago instead of looking for a logical answer supported by evidence.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-14/world/england.chicken.egg.riddle_1_chicken-crystal-structure-human-skeleton?_s=PM:WORLD

Researchers in Britain have been credited with cracking the age-old conundrum about the chicken and the egg. But are they right?

After the publication of the rather dry-sounding scientific paper, "Structural Control of Crystal Nuclei by an Eggshell Protein," press headlines proclaimed the answer was... the chicken.

However, one of the paper's lead authors, Colin Freeman, from the University of Sheffield in northern England, told CNN that the result was not as conclusive as it seemed.

"I would argue that the concept of an eggshell came about way before the chicken, it's dinosaur or even pre-dinosaur thing. That's something to talk to an evolutionary biologist about probably," he said.

So how did a paper about "crystal nuclei" become proof that the chicken pre-dated the egg?

Freeman and his team, which included colleagues from the University of Warwick, were researching a protein found in eggshells called ovocledidin-17. It is also found in chickens' ovaries, but until the team's research its purpose was not clear.

Using Britain's national supercomputer, a machine dubbed HECToR based in Edinburgh, Scotland, they were able to simulate the process of biomineralization, or the production of minerals or solid materials inside organisms.

It was a world first and revealed that one potential purpose of the protein ovocledidin-17 is to speed up the production of eggshell within the chicken so that in 24 hours an egg is ready to be laid.

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Exactly, did Zeus create us or did Atman? Is Pandora's box responsible for the evil of the world or are adam and eve?

I will definitely check those books out because, I am interested to see how people will make up evidence.

Religion was invented by men who wanted answers to questions of the world and decided to just say "it was god"

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Threres a movie called Zeitgeist out there that presents some interesting theories about why major religions have some similarities.

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Alright all living things have similarities (basic DNA code, basic needs, etc) but, I doubt that you accept evolution. I could be wrong though.

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

No it does not, but it is the closest thing to explaining it, I am sure that science in the future will have an answer.

In any case I'll check out the books just for fun.

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Well lets check this out.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Well thank you for the pleasant retort.... At the heart of every single major religion is astrology, that's why they have similar characteristics. Horus was like Jesus beta. observe what those shining lights in the sky are doing (Because you have no idea its a giant ball of fire trillions of miles away) come up with clever little stories about why and after a few thousand years of heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy it becomes [strike]fact[/strike] Religion.

I dont know why you think I wouldnt believe in evolution....... I didnt think my post gave that away.

I realize this thread took the natural path of religious debate but I fear that defining god, or gods or point of origin or even evolution will not give a definitive answer on the ladder or the great wall of china.

For the user blaming religion on me, I am not the kind of person to create religion to answer a question, however, since religion most certainly exists to serve such a purpose, I only brought it up. I see that there is no definitive proof, tangible evidence, or first-source account on the matter. Therefor, maybe there are clues hidden deep within the bible, Koran, or other sacred secret-held, book.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Why only one god?
do you know what polytheism is?

A regular maintenance shot of flupenthixol and perhaps a low level cortical suppressor like carbamazine would greatly assist this chap in everyday life.

If he suffers from anxiety a beta blocker may also be indicated (rather than SSRI's or anxiolytics like benzodiazepines) ... depending on his pulmonary health.

I don't see enough of an indication to recommend daily antipsychotics of moderate strength or above ... unless is a danger to those around him ... so the flupy should do the trick.

thank you for referring this client to me.

Mingo ... take oldman out and fleece $60 off him for the consult ... then pick up some more beer.

:)

P.S. the book made me laugh a lot ... it is even better when read out aloud.

Page 3 is true ... but we knew that ... ch .. ching !!

Status
Not open for further replies.