Modular vs. Non Modular PSU

deez86

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I'm building a miniITX build using the Bit Fenix Prodigy case and was wondering if I should go with a Modular PSU or a non modular one and why. Lemme know your thoughts.

Thanks

deez86

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
That's what I was thinking. Think I'm gonna go with this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703034&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

deez86

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I've already got the case and the RAM because they were on sale, think I'll buy the PSU tomorrow. I won't have any problems fitting it in that case will I?

I'll also have a SSD and 7200rpm HDD in this as well.

EDIT: Decided to go with a gigabyte motherboard cuz of good reviews and a built in wifi
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q5TZ

The only main issue I see is that you have a great CPU and a so-so graphics card. It's hard to recommend a different graphics card as I don't know if this is to be used for modern gaming or not.

If play many modern games this is a much better card:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr785oc2gd (if so I recommend a 500W PSU)

16GB is also overkill for DDR3 unless you have a specific video editing, Virtual OS or similar non-typical usage. 8GB is ideal

deez86

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I'm still up in the air on the graphics card. I mainly don't play that many modern games but that could change with this PC. The RAM I got for $50 on a cyber monday deal, I know it's overkill. This computer is for gaming/video & photo editing/htpc. Once I see my money situation I'll make the decision on the graphics card.

for the price 50 dollars 16 gigabytes of ram is a steal. I wouldn't go as far as to say that a 7770 is a bad card. I just think it all depends on what end of the spectrum you are in terms of gaming. I think if you are someone that can handle games on medium and on a good day high settings great a 7770 is a good card. However, that being said the 7850 would be a substantial upgrade.

With a 7770 yea 400 watts is probably golden. Mainly because you are only having to use 1x PCI-Express power adapter. However the second you upgrade to anything better then the 7770 you will need something larger. It would be a far wiser idea to give yourself some headroom. For example if you were to go with something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207022
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

This is how I would look at it you are creating a very small ceiling for being able to move around. If a year passes by and you want to move to a different graphics card you can't. Its better to think about the longevity of your computer build than what will work at the current moment.

deez86

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
bigshootr8, maybe I'll just go with the 500w version instead of the 400w, it's only $10 more.

Pyree, the K isn't much more, and with all the fans in that case I will have(200mm in front, two 120mm in top, 120mm in rear) and the option for liquid cooling a little OC would be an option wouldn't it?

EDIT: As far as graphics go, I don't really go crazy about being able to run everything on the highest setting, just that it runs the games well, and they don't look like total crap

The 500w upgrade is good. At least then you could have a powerful single gpu. In a itx configuration sli/cf would more then likely be a bad idea.

I'm unsure how water cooling would work you would probably have to mod or mount the radiator outside the case. Something like what this guy did would work fine.
500x1000px-LL-c7f801b7_DSC_2175.jpeg

In terms of the graphics I think the 7770 can do what you pretty much want to do now however going forward I think the 7850 would be the better option. However, you purchase what you have money to purchase.

deez86

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
looking at pictures of the PSU cage, I worry if the modular setup of the PC Power & Cooling PSU might actually make it harder to fit the PSU in there. Since the opening in the cage is on the side, and the plugs for the cables on the PSU are in the middle...

I might just go with this one, I've seen pictures of other peoples builds and seen this PSU used. Also it's $20 cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

There is a reason its $20 dollars cheaper its because its a builders series (non seasonic) power supply the pc power and cooling supply he wants is fine. Like pyree said its a large case for itx. It's built by the looks to carry all the larger items in a smaller form factor.

deez86

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

lordravage

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Just a heads up in case you haven't seen it mentioned. You do have to pay a little extra attention in getting a PSU for the Prodigy. You can juuust barely squeeze in a PSU that is 160mm long, and modular PSUs usually need a little extra room because of how the plugs connect. That means most 160mm (6.3 inch) long modular PSUs will NOT fit right. A non-modular can generally have the cables shoved in tight enough to make it fit, but many people complain about the squeeze.

I don't care for the builders series because they don't use a seasonic oem like the TX/HX/AX(excluding "i" units i.e. ax860i) use . Its the internals that I don't care for. You have quality components and you are sticking a budget PSU in your case. But If I had to choose I would go with the corsair. I'm just of the traditional mindset that you never ever go cheap on your power supply.

& Ravage I didn't know that interesting how that is. I still like the option of modular but if its too tight its too tight.

lordravage

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I didn't mean to steer you completely off of modular. Technically the ATX specification for a PSU is only 140mm long, and there are many PSUs that fit that, boh modular and not. It's just important to notice that many of them happen to be longer than that, and if it is over 160mm it's not going to fit without some modifactions or sacrifices in the Prodigy.

TRENDING THREADS