Will the build-up of event logs cause my computer to crash?

buffyrogers

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hello,
I was told that I need to have my event log cleaned up (those that show crtiical error more than anything else) so that it would not fill up and cause a computer crash? I have never heard this before for a home computer.

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
If its setup to overwrite (which it is by default) then your OK, at work though (due to our old PC image not working right) we sometimes find that some of our laptops are hitting there limit, easy fix tho.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
The short answer is Yes. If your event logs fill up, and new events have no where to go - you computer WILL crash. There is a very specific Blue screen error for it - don't remember the error # of the top of my head...

That being said, by default your logs are set to over-write themselves. As the log reaches maximum size, older events will be deleted to make room for new events. Unless you went and manually changed this - you have no reason to worry.

If you know where it is you need to go to change this... you probably know as well how to properly set your log size, and how to archive old logs so that issue never occurs for you. Check Google if you are curious - I'm sure you can find a step-by-step procedure.