mortuum

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
The issue is as follows.

I got a new gigabyte HD 7850 OCed edition a few weeks ago.

When i run games that strain the computer too much, after about 5 minutes of activity the computer freezes (the sounds does the buzzing-freezing thing) and i see red or green vertical lines on the monitor. Games that this happens are Starcraft, WoW, Skyrim to name a few.

-CPU is an OCed i5 750 at 3,5ghz with turbo enabled, full stability under burn test and prime,

-PSU is a coolermaster gold series 600w. I have fully tested it with a multimeter and its voltages are good.

-Ram is Corsair Vengeance 8 passes with memtest, no errors.

- CPU temp is at 65C @100% and GPU temp is 70C @ 100%

The wierd thing is that 3Dmark does not crash my cpu.
Also the GPU feels hot to the touch and so does the motherboard near the southern cooler and when i manually set the fans to 100% it takes longer for the pc to freeze.

I wonder whether there is an issue with the M/B voltages, with the card itself or if there is conflict in the OS(even thought i removed all previous drivers of my older card).

Note: This does not happen when i return to factory CPU settigns but it DOES happen when i OC even by a little (all settings on default, just increasing the BCLK a little)

mortuum

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Whats the best way to do that? i've never really messed with OC on GPU.

The gpu has 2 huge fans on it by default, they revolve at their normal RPM values. By cable issue you mean? Its not Xfired and i changed the cable on my pSU (modular PSU)

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
i know, but you might have a dud gpu... no silicon chip is the same as the next, so adding a default overclock is never the best idea... thats why downing it might help

mortuum

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

So i should either RMA it and hope for the best or underclock it?

Whats the best way to underclock a GPU, or in this case, return it to factory defaults set by ati?