Sign in with
Your question

Constant TDR timeouts (Radeon 7950)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2012 3:09:39 PM

Short Version: is there a way to force the card to stay on "high performance" clocks 100% of the time? I already have tried the CCC Overdrive XML settings thing and it mostly works, but not 100%.

Long Version:
Got a new system built and its been quite a nightmare. Was having some hardware problems but a few RMAs later I think things are pretty solid (can run constant Furmark, memtest etc. all good).

Spec:

Asus Sabertooth Z77
i3570k
Gigabyte HD 7950 (factory OC is 900/1250)

The only issue I am seeing at the moment is that when just doing nothing, browsing internet or something, the AMD drivers randomly crash. The system hangs for a moment and then I get the message that the "AMD display drivers have crashed and restarted" or something to that effect. TDR basically.

This never happens when I am playing games. Like I said, can run hours of Furmark, no issue. Played borderlands for a few hours, no issue.

I think the problem is related to changes in clock speed + voltage causing the driver to "unsync" from Windows or something. I messed around with the CCC settings and I managed to get the Idle clocks (and voltage for that matter) to match the Full speed clocks, but every so often some program will bump the clocks back down to the original idle speeds and cause a TDR.
October 8, 2012 5:40:12 AM

mmret said:
Short Version: is there a way to force the card to stay on "high performance" clocks 100% of the time? I already have tried the CCC Overdrive XML settings thing and it mostly works, but not 100%.

Long Version:
Got a new system built and its been quite a nightmare. Was having some hardware problems but a few RMAs later I think things are pretty solid (can run constant Furmark, memtest etc. all good).

Spec:

Asus Sabertooth Z77
i3570k
Gigabyte HD 7950 (factory OC is 900/1250)

The only issue I am seeing at the moment is that when just doing nothing, browsing internet or something, the AMD drivers randomly crash. The system hangs for a moment and then I get the message that the "AMD display drivers have crashed and restarted" or something to that effect. TDR basically.

This never happens when I am playing games. Like I said, can run hours of Furmark, no issue. Played borderlands for a few hours, no issue.

I think the problem is related to changes in clock speed + voltage causing the driver to "unsync" from Windows or something. I messed around with the CCC settings and I managed to get the Idle clocks (and voltage for that matter) to match the Full speed clocks, but every so often some program will bump the clocks back down to the original idle speeds and cause a TDR.

have you made any recent changes in bios???you should check your pci e slot frequency in bios..idle is 100 hz..if it is altered it will give you the same kind of problem as yours..
m
l
!