Sign in with
Your question

Problem with my video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2012 4:25:47 PM

Hello everyone.
Within the past few days i have been experiencing some strange problems which i believe are linked to my GPU.
My gpu is a GeForce 9800gt (old I know, but it's fine for me)
Other system specs:
CPU is Intel core 2 duo on 2500 mhz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2
2gb DDR2 ram
Windows XP operating system

So the problem I'm dealing with is this:
Whenever I try to start a game or a benchmark program my screen freezes and i get screen artifacts arranged in a pattern. The artifacts consist of a few pixels and the closest picture to the one I get on my screen would be this one I found on the internet http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i215/taijiya1016/arti...
but not exactly the same. Anyway, when the screen freezes I am still able to move the cursor for some time but I can not click anything nor can I exit the game.
I thought that this problem had something to do with my GPU so I reinstalled my drivers, tried old drivers, cleaned the whole computer case but without success.
A little hint I could come across is that when I analyze my crash history with WhoCrashed I get a report which mentions the Infinite loop problem with nv4_mini.sys.
Everything else works fine, I am able to watch videos/pictures etc.
Any kind of help is apperciated

More about : problem video card

a c 105 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 4:31:08 PM

that's one of the signs of a bad video card. looks like you diagnosed the problem yourself.

there is a vga adapter on the motherboard. did you try pulling the video card and plugging the monitor cable on to that ?
October 7, 2012 4:37:21 PM

No, i haven't. I thought the problem had to be linked to the GPU anyway as the only time the pc freezes is when i start a game. It just surprised me because i was playing a game just before it happened the first time and i had no problems at all
Related resources
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 5:12:11 PM

did you try tightening the cable, both at the monitor and at the video card. and did you try another cable ?
October 7, 2012 5:30:33 PM

yes, i did. I actually tried connecting it to another monitor with the same problem persisting
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:47:53 PM

It looks like bad graphics ram but it could be heat to. Have you checked to see if the fan on your GPU is spinning? Being a old card the fan could have quit witch would then heat up when playing games. If it is just the fan you could probable get a replacement cheaper than getting a new card if that 9800gt still plays the games you want/need.
October 7, 2012 8:57:05 PM

sadly i have tried running the computer with an open case and the fan is spinning so heat is not the problem.
Also, I have forgotten to mention that i keep getting a BSOD if i try running the FurMark program.
The report i get from WhoCrashed says this:

On Sun 10/7/2012 6:21:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100712-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_mini.sys (nv4_mini+0x330627)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF8A4D44F8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A714450, 0xFFFFFFFFB84E7CBC, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 306.23
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 306.23
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_mini.sys (NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 306.23 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_mini.sys NVIDIA Corporation THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
October 7, 2012 9:01:49 PM

I believe it's high time for a computer upgrade. No point in trying to repair outdated hardware. good luck.
October 7, 2012 9:20:21 PM

well thanks for the help. I guess it is time to make a few hardware changes. Ill concider your suggestions
!