Problem with my video card

Hello everyone.
Within the past few days i have been experiencing some strange problems which i believe are linked to my GPU.
My gpu is a GeForce 9800gt (old I know, but it's fine for me)
Other system specs:
CPU is Intel core 2 duo on 2500 mhz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2
2gb DDR2 ram
Windows XP operating system

So the problem I'm dealing with is this:
Whenever I try to start a game or a benchmark program my screen freezes and i get screen artifacts arranged in a pattern. The artifacts consist of a few pixels and the closest picture to the one I get on my screen would be this one I found on the internet
but not exactly the same. Anyway, when the screen freezes I am still able to move the cursor for some time but I can not click anything nor can I exit the game.
I thought that this problem had something to do with my GPU so I reinstalled my drivers, tried old drivers, cleaned the whole computer case but without success.
A little hint I could come across is that when I analyze my crash history with WhoCrashed I get a report which mentions the Infinite loop problem with nv4_mini.sys.
Everything else works fine, I am able to watch videos/pictures etc.
Any kind of help is apperciated
9 answers Last reply
More about problem video card
  1. that's one of the signs of a bad video card. looks like you diagnosed the problem yourself.

there is a vga adapter on the motherboard. did you try pulling the video card and plugging the monitor cable on to that ?
  2. No, i haven't. I thought the problem had to be linked to the GPU anyway as the only time the pc freezes is when i start a game. It just surprised me because i was playing a game just before it happened the first time and i had no problems at all
  3. did you try tightening the cable, both at the monitor and at the video card. and did you try another cable ?
  4. yes, i did. I actually tried connecting it to another monitor with the same problem persisting
  5. It looks like bad graphics ram but it could be heat to. Have you checked to see if the fan on your GPU is spinning? Being a old card the fan could have quit witch would then heat up when playing games. If it is just the fan you could probable get a replacement cheaper than getting a new card if that 9800gt still plays the games you want/need.
  6. sadly i have tried running the computer with an open case and the fan is spinning so heat is not the problem.
    Also, I have forgotten to mention that i keep getting a BSOD if i try running the FurMark program.
    The report i get from WhoCrashed says this:

On Sun 10/7/2012 6:21:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100712-03.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_mini.sys (nv4_mini+0x330627)
    Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF8A4D44F8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A714450, 0xFFFFFFFFB84E7CBC, 0x1)
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 306.23
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 306.23
    Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_mini.sys (NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 306.23 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: nv4_mini.sys NVIDIA Corporation THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
  7. I believe it's high time for a computer upgrade. No point in trying to repair outdated hardware. good luck.
  8. if you can't afford an entire upgrade you can get cards for $100 or less that perform near or better than what you have now. here's a chart to read over. you can make decisions as to what you might want to do.,1.html,1.html
  9. well thanks for the help. I guess it is time to make a few hardware changes. Ill concider your suggestions
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics