Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless Internet Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 15, 2011 6:58:26 AM

Hi guys I have a problem with internet on my laptop and i am not sure how to fix it, wondering if someone on here could shed some light.

Ok the problem is I google something and the browser will just sit, then after 5 mins or so it says browser timeout also things like skype cannot connect an
multiplayer games cannot connect, but if something was already running when this happens it doesn't cut it stays running until you shut it off, when this happens the internet still says it is connected and that the signal strength is great. I have tried turning the wireless card on and off disconnecting from the network running a connectivity doctor logging out of the account I am on and also logging into a different user account but it does not work, the only way of fixing it is to restart the computer.
This is becoming very frustrating, there is another laptop we own that connects to the network and has never had this problem.I am not sure what to do now so hopefully someone can help me I will post as much info on the laptop below as I can.

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite U300.

Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.8GHz 1.8GHz
Ram Memory:2.00 GB
System Type:32-bit Operating System.
Graphics:Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family.
Browsers Used: Google Chrome, Firefox, IE, all latest editions.

I will try to provide any more requested information, hope you guys can help me fix it.

Cheers.
December 16, 2011 2:29:53 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Place the laptop in the same room as the wireless router (you may have tried this already). Check performance.

Connect the laptop to one of the RJ-45 jacks on the router using a CAT5 (or CAT6) cable. Check performance.

If the laptop runs fine when hard wired, then the problem may be with the wireless card inside the laptop.
m
l
December 20, 2011 8:03:31 AM

Ok i tried putting the laptop in the same room as the wireless router and nothing.
Then I connected the laptop to the internet through the RJ-45 jack and again nothing.

I am not sure what to do now as the only thing that fixes it is restarting.

Thanks for answers so far.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 20, 2011 9:02:05 AM

This is an unlikely shot but check kn Device Manager for both wired and wireless adapters and make sure their power saving options aren't closing them down.

Alternatively, as you can't connect using wired or wireless, check that there are no Proxy settings in IE>Tools menu>Internet Options>Connection tab>LAN button. If there are, remove them and tick "Automatically detect settings".

If that fails, post back but also try updating your AV as a way of seeing whether this is a connection issue or just a browser failure.

December 20, 2011 6:23:53 PM

Ok I looked at device manager and under network adapters were my wireless and family controller, both are set to *allow the computer to turn the device off to save power* I have left them on for the time being so when the problem happens again I will try turning it off.

I will look into the proxy settings but I think you might have got it with the power save option.

Will post back if it works on not.

Cheers.
m
l
December 23, 2011 8:48:31 PM

Best answer selected by Jadon.
m
l
!