mantis

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2002

Alright, I think this may be a hardware issue, but I'm
not certain, but here's the story. A fews day ago I
accidentally installed XP Pro over my XP Home Edition
when I was trying to add my laptop to my network using
that Perform Additional Tasks feature on the Win XP
disc. I got pretty much everything recovered on my
laptop now, except that it disabled my video drivers when
it finished the install. My video was managed by an ATI
control panel, and was labeled as ATI Radeon 9000
Mobility. I can't contact my vendor of the laptop
because they no longer exist it seems, and I tried
installing ATI Radeon Mobility drivers for it, but it
says that I should try enabling standard VGA drivers
before running the install. I enabled VGA mode, which I
thought that's what it was talking about but its still
not working. The main problem I'm having is that my
system on my laptop is struggling along now, especially
when scrolling through pages of a document or viewing a
web page, which it never use to do when I had Home
Edition installed. And since the great people at ATI
really haven't been of any help to me, can someone help
me out here, or at least point me in the right
direction. Any help is much appreciated.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try booting into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove all references to
the video card, reboot and let Windows install the video drivers.

"Mantis" <psycho_mantis_fxh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alright, I think this may be a hardware issue, but I'm
> not certain, but here's the story. A fews day ago I
> accidentally installed XP Pro over my XP Home Edition
> when I was trying to add my laptop to my network using
> that Perform Additional Tasks feature on the Win XP
> disc. I got pretty much everything recovered on my
> laptop now, except that it disabled my video drivers when
> it finished the install. My video was managed by an ATI
> control panel, and was labeled as ATI Radeon 9000
> Mobility. I can't contact my vendor of the laptop
> because they no longer exist it seems, and I tried
> installing ATI Radeon Mobility drivers for it, but it
> says that I should try enabling standard VGA drivers
> before running the install. I enabled VGA mode, which I
> thought that's what it was talking about but its still
> not working. The main problem I'm having is that my
> system on my laptop is struggling along now, especially
> when scrolling through pages of a document or viewing a
> web page, which it never use to do when I had Home
> Edition installed. And since the great people at ATI
> really haven't been of any help to me, can someone help
> me out here, or at least point me in the right
> direction. Any help is much appreciated.

7ru6

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

I have the same problem but I can't get the new hardware window to pop-up I was trying to install drivers for ati 9200 cause i thought it was my other older card 9550 and had those drivers and got the "error" What does it mean standard vga drivers?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Try booting into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove all references to
the video card, reboot and let Windows install the video drivers.

When it boots you will have the standard VGA drivers.