Your question

EVGA GTX280

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
October 7, 2012 6:13:34 PM

Hey guys,
Recently my Display has been locking up and I'm getting random multi-coloured, mosaic-type images that do not move. This issue is temporarily resolved upon a reboot, but it can be triggered as soon as I throw more stress at my PC(Opening a videogame) Sometimes, this problem arises after such mundane tasks as opening a browser window.(Firefox)

GTX 280
AMD Phenom quad core at 2.3GHz
8GB of RAM
Asus Motherboard, unsure of the model but 1 PCI port, 1 PCI-E port.

The games I most often play are:
World of Warcraft
Diablo 3
Crysis 2
Skyrim

Hoping someone knows what's going on!
_Nve

Took this pic with my phone.

More about : evga gtx280

a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:48:17 PM

First, make sure your computer is free of dust. Blow the dust out of the heatsinks on the cpu, gpu and motherboard. Make sure the fans are spinning and the intakes/exhausts are clear. And check your temperatures using software. CPUID HWMonitor is free and should tell you both CPU and GPU temps. Alternatively, use CoreTemp and GPU-Z.

If you need help interpreting temperatures, then report those temps back here trying to get an idle temp (when comp is sitting at desktop) and a load temp (when playing a game).
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:11:35 PM

I just discovered that - like ATI Overdrive - Nvidia does have performance management software. I've cranked the Fan speed to 100%. I'm letting my PC sit idle for a few hours to see if it eradicates our little problem. In the meantime, I'll grab the temps for the sake of discussion. Thankyou sir.
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2012 12:41:38 AM

your gpu is overheating
clean your system and replace thermal paste
make sure your case have airflow
m
l
October 8, 2012 4:43:38 PM

Here's what CPUID is saying. I'm a bit concerned for the 44 celcius temps on the CPU?

What do you guys think?

And here are the temps after 30mins of Diablo 3:

m
l
October 13, 2012 8:58:01 AM

try to lower the clocks
m
l