cricket_52

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
After 3 years running I'm having issues with my homebuilt PC, specs are as followed:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
intel i7 920 CPU
EVGA CO-OP edition GTX 295
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Corsair Nova Series 2.5" 64GB SATA II boot drive
Seagate Barracuda 750GB storage
Corsair HX 1000 watt power supply

Been working flawlessly for 3 years up until one morning everything decided to just go down the toilet. Upon startup it'll either hang on "Loading Asus Express Gate..." or give me "BOOTMGR missing, press crtl alt delete to restart". I tried removing and replacing the CMOS battery but it continues with the same routine. However, my fan controller display on the front of my case is very very dim, as if there's little to no power running to it. That display is making me wonder if my power supply is causing these issues instead of my motherboard. Just strikes me odd that the day prior everything was absolutely normal...

edit: should also note that I get normal system beeps on powering up. No error codes are being emitted.

cricket_52

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Just my luck. Though its weird how it can hardly output to a cheap lcd, yet have enough juice for my video card and motherboard to output to my monitor. Supposedly the PSU is under a 5 year warranty, I'll have to contact corsair and see what they say. Website says its discontinued so I may be out of luck. I'll have to research a replacement if they can't do anything.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Understand, that was just an educated guess. It is always difficult to troubleshoot from afar. But your description fits the symptoms of a failing PSU. Without a 2nd PSU to test the board with, it's hard to say for sure. If you have a digital voltmeter, you could test the +12V. -12V, +3.3V, +5V circuits at the 24 pin and 4/8 pin motherboard headers while the PC is active. Or, as an alternative, you could spend $15 and get a PSU tester to check the PSU on a bench.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007539&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=psu%20tester&Page=1&PageSize=20
Simply plug in the various PSU cables and power up the PSU. The readouts will tell the voltages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

cricket_52

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Oh I understand, and until I get a PSU tester all I can do is wait and prepare for both good and bad news. I appreciate the help immensely, though. A PSU tester will be invaluable for this case and future builds.