New Rig ! Please Rate !

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hey guys ,

This is my plan for the rig which I think should last for 3-5 years.... ( I WILL BE OVERCLOCKING )

CPU - AMD FX 8350 "Vishera" Piledriver

CPU Cooler - Antec Kuhler H20 920

GPU - Gigabyte Windforce HD 7850 OC Edition

Mobo- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

PSU- Seasonic SS-750JS 750 Watt

RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600 Mhz 8GB (4x2)

HDD & SSD - WD Caviar Green 2 TB (WD20EARX) & OCZ Vertex Plus R2 120 GB SSD (VTXPLR2-25SAT2-120GB)

CABINET - NZXT Phantom 410

OS - Windows 7 64-bit

Monitor - Benq 24 inch LCD - G2420HD

------------------------------------

IS THIS PC FUTURE PROOF ?????

Maybe Upgrades --- if performance is not satisfying a couple of years later ----

-Crossfiring

Please give your reviews about this rig !
(No Intel Commemts - On a Budget !:)

Solution
Your proposed AMD build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q7zR

my suggested intel build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q7qM

You asked about a better option for a mass storage hdd, so I put a samsung spinpoint F4 2TB in both builds.

The intel build has a cpu faster for gaming out of the gate that can use the boxed cooler. cheaper feature rich mobo. Same ram(I think). Better ssd.

HD7970 to alleviate the need for adding a second card(better to get one powerful card than 2 lesser ones anyway).

Swapped out the nzxt phantom 410(which I'm not a fan of, but maybe you are) for a cooler master haf 912. Great features for only around 50 bucks.

Get at amazon for 50.99 free shipping to avoid superbiiz's shipping costs. If you'd like front usb 3.0, get...

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
on a budget and have an 8350? I will restrain ;)

Caviar green is far to slow to play games on so I hope you only have about 10 games for that SSD. Good PSU if your thinking of crossfire later on although I wouldn't recommend it as apparently microstuttering is awful on the 7000 series even the 7970's. Maybe a slightly less power proccessor with a better GPU?

It's also probably not worth getting an antec cooler. High end air cooling is better and cheaper.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
0/10
JK..

It looks good, hopefully games will use more cores in the near future so your 8 core will really shine then.

Only get a Caviar Green if you're going to store files which you won't be accessing very much. Eg. photos etc. If you're going to put games and more on there I would go for a Caviar Blue or Black.

Not so sure about the SSD though, I wouldn't know much about those so I'm not going to comment on that

The 7850 is a good choice, if possible even go for a 7870. If not, still good.

Windows 7 also a good choice too.

All in all, if you make some small changes that is a pretty solid rig.

Should last awhile

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
thanks for your replies darth and buddiliva .....
Please suggest a good hdd ..

High performance air cooling , you say....

This was my earlier choice
Deepcool Ice Blade Pro (but can it handle 125 w heat ?)

I dunno whether a noctua nh d14 or deepcool assasin will fit in my case. If it does,ill be happy to buy one.

So.any suggestions ??

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I'd say Any Western digital HDD that isn't green. E.g Blue or Black (Black offers most performance). Or a Samsung F3.

I wouldn't pay that much for the d14 or any sort of air cooling. I would just go with the Hyper 212. There's a possibility that the d14 won't fit in your case

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
The d14 definitely fits. I have seen lots of them in the specific case. a hyper 212 evo is a great option but if he was originally going with closed loop water I'm guessing he want very cool or a high OC meaning a d14 is more his thing.

The Caviar blacks are really very good. Fastest HDD load times of people I know apart from Raptors and such.

mohit9206

Distinguished
if gaming is your first priority then clearly you are making a wrong choice by getting the 8350 . you should be getting the 3570k and Z77 mobo.
8350 at stock is beat by i5 in gaming .
you may say you will overclock it but thats not point. 8350 consumes MUCH more power overclocked than i5 while performing lower.
if still you go for 8350 then its ignorance

jtenorj

Distinguished
Your proposed AMD build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q7zR

my suggested intel build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q7qM

You asked about a better option for a mass storage hdd, so I put a samsung spinpoint F4 2TB in both builds.

The intel build has a cpu faster for gaming out of the gate that can use the boxed cooler. cheaper feature rich mobo. Same ram(I think). Better ssd.

HD7970 to alleviate the need for adding a second card(better to get one powerful card than 2 lesser ones anyway).

Swapped out the nzxt phantom 410(which I'm not a fan of, but maybe you are) for a cooler master haf 912. Great features for only around 50 bucks.

Get at amazon for 50.99 free shipping to avoid superbiiz's shipping costs. If you'd like front usb 3.0, get antec 300 Two at ncix for a few bucks more.

Couldn't find your psu on the US version of pcpartpicker, so I went with the cheapest seasonic 750 listed for your build to compare(80+bronze, modular).

I chose a xfx 550w for the intel build(seasonic built, much cheaper, more than adequate, 80+bronze, not modular, but the haf 912 and the antec 300 Two both have cable management features to help clean things up inside, as do many more expensive cases like the nzxt phantom 410).

Threw in a cheap samsung dvd burner. Couldn't find your exact monitor for your amd build, so I used the cheapest 24 inch benq on pcpartpicker.

For the intel build, I used a 23 inch Dell panel. It's cheaper than the benq. I believe both are tn panels, but that's probably better for gaming. Better response times, and no worries about colors unless you are doing graphic design/photo editing. Viewing angles irrelevant for single player at the desk.

Windows 7 tops both builds, with intel coming in over 100 bucks cheaper. Granted you could go for the fx8320, a amd 970 mobo and hyper 212 cpu cooler to save some money, but the graphics in the intel build are way better. Again, these prices are based on US sites. Your mileage may vary when making purchases in another country. If you're in the US(and possibly elsewhere) AMD as a value cpu option seems to go out the window in this range.

You can't overclock the locked i5, but you don't need to. You can(and should) overclock the radeon hd7970 graphics card to past ghz ed. levels. That will get you the fastest single gpu card available and rival the likes of a hd7850 crossfire setup. If you stick to 1 1080p screen for a while, you're good.

Oh, yeah. If you don't live in the US, pcpartpicker.com has options for other countries as well(Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, France and Germany).

If you live in India, I know a few sites there you can get parts. We can try and get you the best combo of price/performance that'll last a while.

Solution

jtenorj

Distinguished
Ok, we shall look to sites in India. Right now, the only site that comes to mind is flipcart(a couple other sites escape me at the moment).

Price/performance can vary from time to time between these sites, as they do in the US and elsewhere. Do you have Indian sites in mind?

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
There's
flipkart.com
hardwire.in
theitdepot.com
and primeagbg.com

and the hd 7970 is Rs 34125 (614 USD !!!!!!!Super expensive !!!) in India whereas in the us..300 usd.
Should I order my parts from Amazon & Newegg or local dealers ???

jtenorj

Distinguished
I'm pretty sure newegg does not deliver internationally(US and Canada only). Not sure about amazon.

How soon do you want to put this together? Personally, I'm pretty busy from now through the rest of the weekend(til Monday morning US central time).

Researching prices on multiple sites can take some time. Oh, and theitdepot was one of the sites I knew but couldn't think of at the time.

I think I've heard of hardwire.in, but not sure I've heard of primeagbg.com before. Typed the url and tried to visit the site but I'm not getting there.

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Oops , its primeabgb.com (very confusing)