Sign in with
Your question

Sudden dancing green/black screen

October 7, 2012 6:36:18 PM

Hello everyone,

I've had a sudden failure of my pc graphics and I have come to you mostly to confirm what I already suspect, that my graphics card has failed. If you see anything significant and might have some advice to share, I would be most thankful.

PC Specs:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Intel i5 2500k
GTX 550ti
Thermaltake 430 watt power supply
8GB DDR3 Ram (2 sticks)
2 SATA hard drives
5 fans (approx 120mm each)

I've had this build for about a week now, playing both League of Legends and Guild Wars 2 without any problems. Today while playing LoL, the screen suddenly changed to green/black (mostly green), and the screen was flickering/dancing. I tried reseating the video card and I also moved it into another PCI slot. I also used a different wire. Nothing helped. When pulled out the graphics card and hooked into my onboard motherboard graphics, everything looks fine.

I've run the math on my wattage, and even for a 100% load, my PC comes out about 385 watts. (So I don't think underpower is an issue)

The odd thing about this situation is that I updated the drivers just prior to this happening, maybe a couple hours before. I tried uninstalling the drivers afterward, but could never get the screen to go back to normal, so I'm thinking this may have been a coincidence. I've also put the graphics card into another custom build (friend's PC) and the same problem occurs.

What I'm really trying to figure out is whether this was a problem with the card all along or whether this may have been somehow my fault and/or something that was preventable. So if anyone has any advice, please share. Thanks for reading.
!