Progams Not Responding > Restart > Boot device has not been detected

azocarbo

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
In the last 4 or 5 days I have experienced a frequent 'Not Responding' message on programs and in Windows Explorer. I occasionally get the option to End Program, but it rarely works and freezes the whole machine. Normally I can still move the mouse during the intial freeze but can't click anything.

Upon restarting the computer gives me a black screen after the BIOS, saying: A bootable device has not been detected. I then have to hold the on/off button for the PC to shutdown, then when it boots up again it is usually fine.

I have had it also where after waiting for the Not Responding programs to close/become responsive, the SSD (which hosts the OS) dissapears; there are no programs in Startup, clicking shortcuts opens nothing and any files on that C drive are gone.

I reinstalled Windows 7 yesterday, but still have the freezes. I've disconnected my 2nd HDD (music/films/tv) but no change. I've done the Startup Repair 3 times+ as suggested. I've checked the SSD is the 'Active' drive and it is.

I'm at a loss as to what to do/try/what could be wrong? I need the computer to be reliable and at the moment it's unusable :/

Any suggestions/advice please?

Speccy:

Summary
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz 29 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation DH67BL (LGA1155) 31 °C
Graphics
BenQ G2400W (1366x768@60Hz)
BenQ G2400W (1024x768@75Hz)
Intel HD Graphics
Hard Drives
60GB M4-CT064M4SSD2 (SSD)
932GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ (SATA) 24 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB
Audio
Intel Display Audio

azocarbo

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Running that SSD test now.

I cleaned out the PC (there was some dust) last night, but have had the problem since.

I did swap the SATA cables over last night, as the SSD was running from the SATA 6g output, not the SATA 3 output for some reason, although I believe them to be the same thing (?), however the PC didn't like this and failed to boot at all, so I swapped them back. The SATA3 was going to a CD/DVD drive and the SATA 2 was going to the 1TB HDD.

Could be the mobo, everything is relatively new I think though, so shouldn't be failing on me.

azocarbo

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

SSDLife Pro says:

Drive health is EXCELLENT!
Your drive health is in good condition and according to current use estimated lifetime is till October 25, 2021.
Work Time: 5409 (7 months, 15 days, 9 hours)
Powered On: 529 Times
Trim: supported, enabled
Health 99%

azocarbo

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I've posted on the Crucial forums, but in a post regarding an imminment (mid-Dec) release of new firmware for the M4 a user asks:

Thanx for sharing the information! I hope that the bug with SSD "disappearing" will be fixed, won't it?

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...-04MH-firmware-update-coming-soon/td-p/113882

I did update the M4's firmware when I first got it, but I will check to see what the latest firmware is and see if im up-to-date.

I re-set the CMOS by removing/reinserting the battery just now.

Is there a way I can stress test the problem to see if I can get a Not Responding window?