Sign in with
Your question

What to do First with new build?

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2012 5:38:46 PM

Hello all,

First of all, thank you to the tom's hardware community for being a great resource as I was diving into my first build! I just completed it and so far everything has been running great. Here is my system:

CPU: Intel i5-3570k (Using the built in HD 4000-haven't got a graphics card yet)
MB: Asus P8Z77-v LK
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
Case: Fractal Arc Midi
SSD: Intel 330 Series 180 GB
HD: Seagate Barracude 2GB 7200 RPM

So this is my first build, and like I said I'm very happy with it, but I'm not to sure what to do first to get my system up to speed.

I'm looking for any advice as to what things I should really do first. I'm interested in overclocking, but not quite ready to get into that yet. I guess I'm looking for the things you guys to to make sure your system is performing at its peak potential. Any particular drivers, or utilities that I should get?

Thanks for your help!

More about : build

a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2012 6:58:07 PM

I like to get stuff to monitor the computer in terms of temperatures. You don't have a GPU, but I would recommend the CoreTemp gadget for your CPU. Its a Windows 7 gadget that shows CPU load and temperature, and is quite accurate.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2012 7:03:26 PM

Here's two programs that you can use to make sure things are running stable and at good temps. HWMonitor it will give you temps of your hardware and Prime95 has a stress test for your cpu and ram. There's a lot of guides on youtube for prime95 if you don't know how to use it. You didn't list a cpu cooler but you also didn't list your ram so I know you have that if everything is running great. When you do oc your cpu you should get one like the cooler master hyper 212 evo if you haven't already bought one. I don't know how high of a oc you could do with that cooler but it's best to keep your cpu temps under 70c when under full load. Your cpu can get hotter than that and still be safe but to make sure your cpu works for a long time keeping the cpu temps under 70c is the way to go. Also for when you do get a gpu I use FurMark burn-in test to see what my gpu temps are under full load.
Related resources
November 29, 2012 9:35:29 PM

Thanks so much for your help!
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2012 9:49:38 PM

No problem.
!