Sign in with
Your question

Should i wait till the Next Generation of AMD Cards?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Rival
  • Next Generation
  • AMD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2012 12:29:24 AM

Well i heard that the 8000 series is coming by real soon, heard rumors maybe the earliest ones to come on in mid to late December.....

Heres the Article of the Leaked Specs of 2 of the Cards: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_readies_new_f...

-It says the 8870 will be able to rival the 680 and will only cost $279 [FREAKIN CRAZY GOOD IF TRUE! :love:  ]
-It also says the 8850 will be also a rival to the 670 in terms of performace [Also AWESOME!]

But im not sure if i should wait, cause i was planning on getting a Radeon 7870 next week :( 
Do you think the ends justify the means and that i should wait the 2 months? What would you do in this situation? :sarcastic: 

More about : wait till generation amd cards

October 8, 2012 12:43:38 AM

I'm in the same boat, I'm about to build my first gaming PC so I can't even play any games until I do, but if the rumors about that card are true I feel like I'll be wasting a lot of money. But if I wait I can't play anything until it comes out :??: 
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 12:45:43 AM

There's almost always going to be something better a few months around the corner. If you want to wait, then wait, but remember, you can always wait for something better.
Related resources
October 8, 2012 12:50:20 AM

^^ Pretty much that. My advice is always to wait until you have a game that you want to play where your current GPU is giving you unsatisfactory performance at your desired resolution/framerate and then buy whatever would give you the performance you want.

You're always within a few months of either a new GPU launch or major price drops on current GPUs.
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 8, 2012 12:56:09 AM

I really doubt pricing is finalized yet. If they have excellent performance, I'd expect them to charge you for it. And a December launch is possible, but so is January... and February.
October 8, 2012 1:00:24 AM

BigMack70 said:
^^ Pretty much that. My advice is always to wait until you have a game that you want to play where your current GPU is giving you unsatisfactory performance at your desired resolution/framerate and then buy whatever would give you the performance you want.

You're always within a few months of either a new GPU launch or major price drops on current GPUs.

well its mostly cause i want to get a solid 60 fps on BF3 in Max Settings....with the 7870 i would be getting around 45-48 on that

I also would love to play The Witcher 2 Everything Maxed Ubersampleling enabled at 50+ Fps :D 

Not to mention i plan on playin in 3d in the future soo..........
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 1:04:46 AM

If you're willing to wait, then you might as well wait. Deals are only going to get better as time goes on.
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 9:34:53 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. For now I think I'll wait and play on low/med. I think it's worth the wait.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 1:12:01 AM

Why would AMD create a card that competes with Nvidia's $500 card and then charge roughly half what the competition costs? Would you do that if you were running a business? And then what happens to all their cards they have now? Do they cut the price of the 7970 down to $175 and give away 7700's in cereal boxes?

Some of these rumors are ridiculous.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 1:21:10 AM

twelve25 said:
Why would AMD create a card that competes with Nvidia's $500 card and then charge roughly half what the competition costs? Would you do that if you were running a business? And then what happens to all their cards they have now? Do they cut the price of the 7970 down to $175 and give away 7700's in cereal boxes?

This would be completely typical of AMD's past actions. Radeon 8xxx would be out, so it wouldn't matter what happens to Radeon 7xxx pricing (which wouldn't drop much at first and would have poor value compared to Radeon 8xxx, perfectly normal). Nvidia will probably do the same thing. Heck ,the GTX 660 can compete with the GTX 580 despite the 580 being their previous $500 card and the 660 being their $230 card. The same is true for the 7870 versus the 580.

I won't say that the rumors are true for sure, but they most certainly do make sense.
October 11, 2012 1:50:08 AM

twelve25 said:

I'm not sure you understand how graphics cards work... when a company releases a new line of GPUs, you get more performance for less price... it's common for midrange GPUs to match the high end GPUs of the previous generation at much lower cost.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 2:11:55 AM

luciferano said:
Heck ,the GTX 660 can compete with the GTX 580 despite the 580 being their previous $500 card and the 660 being their $230 card. The same is true for the 7870 versus the 580.

But there is also a GTX 680 and 670 to fill out the lineup, so it makes sense. So if the new 8900 series comes out at the same time, then it seems like a sound strategy, but to release the 8800 series while the 7900 series is still the only top tier product wouldn't make any sense.

I'm not up on the rumors, so if I missed the 8900 series rumors, I apologize for my outburst.
October 11, 2012 2:12:42 AM

BigMack70 said:
I'm not sure you understand how graphics cards work... when a company releases a new line of GPUs, you get more performance for less price... it's common for midrange GPUs to match the high end GPUs of the previous generation at much lower cost.

Apparently he didnt quite understand this, these arent game consoles or apple.....graphics cards only depreciate over time and each time a newer generation is made, affordability is put in mind, not Senseless jacked up prices more than the last generations because its a "Newer" Version as technology gets better less materials have to be used and production becomes much quicker and cheaper. Thus helping them sell a better product for cheaper than the last. For graphics cards lower production cost and new product doesnt equal marked up prices and higher profit for the companies like some companies practice [Ex. Apple and Major Console Companies]. :non: 

Anyhow i loved how luciferano put it.....its crazy how technology progresses
October 11, 2012 2:14:33 AM

89xx cards are assumed/implied... these 88xx rumors were likely just released to try to dissuade people from buying Nvidia's midrange cards since AMD's next set of midrange cards are just a few months away.
October 11, 2012 2:44:20 AM

yeah but still....AMD cards were almost always cheaper than Nvidia cards though for instance the AMD Radeon 7970 and the Nvidia GTX 680 both are the flagship cards of each brand with almost equal performance yet the Nvidia card is on average 100-150 dollars more and each card before those [the lesser versions] that are considered equals in both brands have a 50-100 dollar price difference.

I myself wouldnt be surprised if those rumors were true or that it had a minor price difference of like 20-30 dollars
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 3:10:37 AM

twelve25 said:

But there is also a GTX 680 and 670 to fill out the lineup, so it makes sense. So if the new 8900 series comes out at the same time, then it seems like a sound strategy, but to release the 8800 series while the 7900 series is still the only top tier product wouldn't make any sense.

I'm not up on the rumors, so if I missed the 8900 series rumors, I apologize for my outburst.

I haven't heard anything about 89xx rumors yet, but AMD has released mid-ranged cards before high-end cards of the same generation in the past, so its possible that 88xx will come first.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 3:14:58 AM

HellsBadAss said:
yeah but still....AMD cards were almost always cheaper than Nvidia cards though for instance the AMD Radeon 7970 and the Nvidia GTX 680 both are the flagship cards of each brand with almost equal performance yet the Nvidia card is on average 100-150 dollars more and each card before those [the lesser versions] that are considered equals in both brands have a 50-100 dollar price difference.

I myself wouldnt be surprised if those rumors were true or that it had a minor price difference of like 20-30 dollars

Yeah, but we sometimes have to wait for AMD to adjust pricing to proper places when they get the head-start on Nvidia.
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 11, 2012 9:37:39 AM

luciferano said:
This would be completely typical of AMD's past actions. Radeon 8xxx would be out, so it wouldn't matter what happens to Radeon 7xxx pricing (which wouldn't drop much at first and would have poor value compared to Radeon 8xxx, perfectly normal). Nvidia will probably do the same thing. Heck ,the GTX 660 can compete with the GTX 580 despite the 580 being their previous $500 card and the 660 being their $230 card. The same is true for the 7870 versus the 580.

I won't say that the rumors are true for sure, but they most certainly do make sense.

Tell that to the 6870 and 6850.

It's common for the top cards to go out of favor when a new generation of cards are released, but the more value-oriented ones often soldier on for a while. The 6870 and 6850 are still decent value, though they'll probably be retired soon. The GTX 460 would still have been decent value today had Nvidia not retired it already.

Also, if AMD had a card that outclassed the top Nvidia cards, you could bet on them charging you for it. Just like the 7970 cost an arm and a leg until Nvidia released the GTX 680. AMD can be very aggressive with the price cuts, but only when they have competition.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 1:04:25 PM

Sakkura said:
Tell that to the 6870 and 6850.

It's common for the top cards to go out of favor when a new generation of cards are released, but the more value-oriented ones often soldier on for a while. The 6870 and 6850 are still decent value, though they'll probably be retired soon. The GTX 460 would still have been decent value today had Nvidia not retired it already.

Also, if AMD had a card that outclassed the top Nvidia cards, you could bet on them charging you for it. Just like the 7970 cost an arm and a leg until Nvidia released the GTX 680. AMD can be very aggressive with the price cuts, but only when they have competition.

Radeon 68xx is a good example for my point. The 68xx cards launched almost a whole month before the 69xx cards and they launched with prices that were very aggressive. The 6850 was only $180 and the 6870 was only $240 several months before Nvidia launched anything. They didn't need to drop in prices too much from there even to this day.

AMD did something similar with Radeon 4xxx. They launched with incredible pricing. They've done it before and they can do it again.

The 68xx cards were not a decent value until they dropped in price again. Until recently, the 7770 and the 7850 were still competing with them in price and value and winning by large margins (7770 performs similarly to the 6850, yet could be had considerably cheaper and overclocked a little better, 7850 just stomps all over the 6870).

AMD doesn't always price things ridiculously at launch when they're not intended to beat the current cards. For example, these cards would already have competition from the 670 and 7970 and such, so AMD can't afford to have bad pricing on them. REmember, the 7970 launched and it had better value than its competition for the time, the GTX 580 3GB, at least where drivers weren't a problem. The 7950 did the same to the GTX 580 1.5GB.

That older cards can still be good values doesn't matter. They drop prices eventually, but the older cards usually don't drop until after the new ones drop and not even all older cards drop in price, especially higher end models. For example, even to this day, the 6950, 560 Ti, 6970, 570, and 580 still have poor value in most retail sites when I look at them.
October 11, 2012 2:35:18 PM

Old cards only depreciate over time?

Not really. The 5xxx series is expensive, as is the 4xxx. The 3xxx, however, not so much.

I do hope the 8000 series will actually improve the low-midrange cards. It'd suck if the 8670 was just a re-badged 7670 which is a re-badged 6670 which is a re-badged 5670.
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 11, 2012 2:39:02 PM

Of course they can't price these things ridiculously high. What we're discussing is whether they'll price them ridiculously LOW. Which they have little incentive to do.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 2:49:33 PM

Sakkura said:
Of course they can't price these things ridiculously high. What we're discussing is whether they'll price them ridiculously LOW. Which they have little incentive to do.

AMD needs to make some money. Aggressive pricing could allow them to steal the market long before Nvidia even reaches it as well as force Nvidia to make some serious improvements. They already have great driver support, so pricing would be their only hold-back. They have a lot of incentive to have aggressive pricing.

Of course I can't say that they will do so for sure, but there is a lot of incentive to do so. If they price them too high, they will simply be ignored, so now is not a time with much incentive to not be aggressive. Who would buy these 88xx cards if they launch with comparable pricing to similarly performing cards? They simply wouldn't sell much. At least with 79xx, they had what was now the most high end card for the time, so people wanted to buy it despite it being expensive.

88xx has no such advantage unless the 8870 (assuming that it's the top 88xx card) beats the 680 and the 7970, something that I find to be unlikely, albeit possible. So, AMD has two choices if they want to sell. similar performance and low prices, or higher performance with similar prices. Similar performance and similar prices would not do much of anything other than waste time and I doubt that AMD doesn't know this.
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 11, 2012 3:03:29 PM

But aggressive pricing isn't the same as ridiculous pricing.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 3:42:26 PM

Sakkura said:

The rumored prices aren't so ridiculous. They're right where they need to be to get sales moving. The 8850 looks like it'd challenge the 7950 or so at the price of a discounted 7870 or a decently priced 7850, right where it'd need to be to convince people to buy it much. The 8870 looks like it'd meet or beat the 7970 at a price right below most 7950s. Both prices are low enough that they'd convince many people with weaker cards to upgrade and they make sense given the reduced BOM that 88xx would bring compared to 79xx.

Regardless, like I said, the rumors are just rumors and I don't claim that they must be true, just that they're possibly accurate.
October 13, 2012 3:20:30 AM

Sakkura said:

I really dont understand whats so ridiculous about the pricing........Its about the same as the prices for the last generation cards x850s and x870s, notice im using "About" loosely but as i said before they might be at a marginally higher price, say 20-30 dollars but to be competitive i doubt those cards will come in a a price any higher ;) 
!