CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

This combination doesn't appear to work?

The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when I
try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.

Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
not possible?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

If the wireless router has Ethernet ports on it, connect the desktop to one
of them. Be sure the network adaptor has tcp/ip installed and is set to
obtain an ip address automatically ( it is probably already set this way)
"ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
> This combination doesn't appear to work?
>
> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
> I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
> access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
> connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
>
> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
> not possible?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

"ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
> This combination doesn't appear to work?
>
> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
> I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
> access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
> connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
>
> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
> not possible?

One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
"straight-through"....

Peterken wrote:
> "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
>> This combination doesn't appear to work?
>>
>> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however,
>> when I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop
>> in order to access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it
>> wont seem to connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
>>
>> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of
>> setup not possible?
>>

> One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
> "straight-through"....

Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is required.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Sorry if I misunderstood but if you are referring to a crossover cable
then this is for you...I believe they are both ethernet cables however
a crossover is used to directly connect 2 ethernet cards together,
without using a hub, router etc... The cables are turned vica versa at
one end. This url should help

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/crossover.html

Proph3t

> Peterken wrote:
>> "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
>>> This combination doesn't appear to work?
>>>
>>> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however,
>>> when I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop
>>> in order to access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it
>>> wont seem to connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
>>>
>>> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of
>>> setup not possible?
>>>

>> One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
>> "straight-through"....
>
> Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is required.

depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not :-D

Peterken wrote:
>> Peterken wrote:
>>> "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message

>>> One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
>>> "straight-through"....
>>
>> Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is
>> required. Q
>
> depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not
> :-D

It's computer to computer via ethernet NICs.

PhilG

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Wouldn't you have to turn on Internet connection sharing on the laptop also?

> Peterken wrote:
> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

> >> Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is
> >> required. Q
> >
> > depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not
> > :-D
>
> It's computer to computer via ethernet NICs.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The reason I dont simply move the desktop PC to plugin to the ethernet on
the router is that the desktop cant quite be moved (it is used in a bedroom
there FYI).

How does one tell the difference between a 'normal' cable, and an ethernet
one?

"RBM" <rbm2(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
> If the wireless router has Ethernet ports on it, connect the desktop to
> one of them. Be sure the network adaptor has tcp/ip installed and is set
> to obtain an ip address automatically ( it is probably already set this
> way)
> "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
>> This combination doesn't appear to work?
>>
>> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
>> I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
>> access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
>> connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
>>
>> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
>> not possible?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

PhilG - I have done this but still to no avail...

I am sure that I am not using a crossover cable...

Will try this though!