CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

This combination doesn't appear to work?

The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when I
try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.

Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
not possible?
9 answers Last reply
More about cat5 desktop laptop laptop wireless router
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    If the wireless router has Ethernet ports on it, connect the desktop to one
    of them. Be sure the network adaptor has tcp/ip installed and is set to
    obtain an ip address automatically ( it is probably already set this way)
    "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
    > This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >
    > The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
    > I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
    > access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
    > connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >
    > Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
    > not possible?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
    > This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >
    > The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
    > I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
    > access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
    > connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >
    > Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
    > not possible?

    One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
    "straight-through"....
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Peterken wrote:
    > "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
    >> This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >>
    >> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however,
    >> when I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop
    >> in order to access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it
    >> wont seem to connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >>
    >> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of
    >> setup not possible?
    >>

    > One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
    > "straight-through"....

    Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is required.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Sorry if I misunderstood but if you are referring to a crossover cable
    then this is for you...I believe they are both ethernet cables however
    a crossover is used to directly connect 2 ethernet cards together,
    without using a hub, router etc... The cables are turned vica versa at
    one end. This url should help

    http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/crossover.html

    Proph3t
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    > Peterken wrote:
    >> "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
    >>> This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >>>
    >>> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however,
    >>> when I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop
    >>> in order to access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it
    >>> wont seem to connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >>>
    >>> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of
    >>> setup not possible?
    >>>

    >> One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
    >> "straight-through"....
    >
    > Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is required.

    depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not :-D
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Peterken wrote:
    >> Peterken wrote:
    >>> "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message

    >>> One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
    >>> "straight-through"....
    >>
    >> Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is
    >> required. Q
    >
    > depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not
    > :-D

    It's computer to computer via ethernet NICs.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Wouldn't you have to turn on Internet connection sharing on the laptop also?

    > Peterken wrote:
    > > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

    > >> Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is
    > >> required. Q
    > >
    > > depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not
    > > :-D
    >
    > It's computer to computer via ethernet NICs.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    The reason I dont simply move the desktop PC to plugin to the ethernet on
    the router is that the desktop cant quite be moved (it is used in a bedroom
    there FYI).

    How does one tell the difference between a 'normal' cable, and an ethernet
    one?

    "RBM" <rbm2(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > If the wireless router has Ethernet ports on it, connect the desktop to
    > one of them. Be sure the network adaptor has tcp/ip installed and is set
    > to obtain an ip address automatically ( it is probably already set this
    > way)
    > "ZionIFL" <abc@123.com> wrote in message
    >> This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >>
    >> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
    >> I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
    >> access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
    >> connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >>
    >> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
    >> not possible?

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    PhilG - I have done this but still to no avail...

    I am sure that I am not using a crossover cable...

    Will try this though!

    "PhilG" <pgroce@gte.net> wrote in message
    > Wouldn't you have to turn on Internet connection sharing on the laptop
    > also?

    >> Peterken wrote:
    >> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

    >> > depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not
    >> > :-D
    >>
    >> It's computer to computer via ethernet NICs.

Laptops Routers Connection Networking