Sign in with
Your question

Windows keeps slowly freezing on me

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
February 1, 2013 5:53:12 PM

Hello,

Hi

I'm having issues where around 30 minutes after bootup, programs will begin to systematically freeze one after another until nothing is responsive except for the mouse. Start menu, task manager, nothing is responsive yet I can still move the cursor.

I've tried system restore and uninstalling a new catalyst driver for my AMD video card to no avail.

Here's the diagnostic zip here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5596386/SF_01-02-2013.zip

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is hampering my work productivity.

Thank you very much.
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 5:55:34 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS... HIRENS BOOT CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 2, 2013 12:23:36 AM

I tried to run Hiren's but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the system to boot from my USB. I ran a test in RMPrepUSB and it should be working fine. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I have win 8 installed on an SSD, do you think that might be the failing drive? Or maybe one of my other non SSD drives?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 12:25:22 AM

Dyao said:
I tried to run Hiren's but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the system to boot from my USB. I ran a test in RMPrepUSB and it should be working fine. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I have win 8 installed on an SSD, do you think that might be the failing drive? Or maybe one of my other non SSD drives?

Thanks

Hi :) 

DO NOT run Hirens on an SSD ..use its own tools for an SSD...

But DO run Hirens on all your other non ssd drives....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 2, 2013 12:27:19 AM

What tools should I use for my SSD then?

Well the problem is that I can't get Hirens to run at all from my bootable USB, the system detects that it's a bootable USB but just skips it and boots back into the win8 launcher,
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 12:28:56 AM

boot into the bios and sit there...make sure the power supply and cpu temps are fine. if they look fine make sure the mb bios is up todate. chekc the part# of the ram to see if it on the mb qal list or was tested by the ram vendor in your mb. run hardware monitor and cpu-z make sure ram running at it rated sped and the mb reading right. with hardware monitor watch the cpu/gpu temps and see if the mb power supply is holding. try booting into save mode use msconfig and turn every thing off in start up to see if it spyware or a virus. try running malware bytes or combofix in safe mode.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 12:31:26 AM

on power up with new mb hit f8 key or f key for the boot menu and select usb stick. when i made my hirem boot usb stick yesterday i had to unzip the hirem download first then run the hirem special boot creator icon. you select hirem iso and then tell it to install the hirem files on your usb stick. it take 10 min or so for the program to install all the files.
m
l
February 2, 2013 12:49:51 AM

Hardware temperatures seem okay, but I'm far from an expert on what they 're supposed to be. Here's a screen of what they currently are:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5596386/HWtemps.png

I ran malwarebytes and it didn't find anything either.

I'll try to get Hiren working some more in the mean time.

This isn't a new computer, I've been using it for two years now.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 3:03:45 AM

lots of software faults reported.
I would do the following. Update your usb 3.0 asmedia host controller driver.
update your intel chipset drivers.

***disable all low power transitions in power management. Set everything to high performance*** you will want to do this first to make your system stable.

I think your drives go idle and try to go to low power and the logic in the drives are incorrect.

check for updates to your SSD (firmware)
I would suggest that you are overloading your USB host controllers. looks like you have a p67 chipset and lots of USB hard drives devices.
oh, your bluetooth driver was having issues also. you might want to disable it for now.
clear all your logs and see how your system works after some of the changes.
if you still have delays, I would start removing the usb drives. (lot of issues with them)

m
l
February 2, 2013 3:34:58 AM

I think I figured out the problem. Apparently when Crucial M4 SSDs reach 5184 hours they begin to fail every hour or so. A firmware update is supposed to fix this problem and so far I've gone two hours without the issue.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 3:40:43 AM

cool, i did not want to mention that. my last firmware update bricked my drive and I just got the RMA back a few days ago. (I was getting 30 second delays from the drive, caused a lot of strange problems)
m
l
!