Sign in with
Your question

50,000,000:1 vs. 20,000,000:1

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2012 2:28:12 AM

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/aoc-e2343f-23-led-backlit...
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/aoc-e2795vvh-full-hd-27-l...

I'm looking at those two monitors.

What kind of difference will I be seeing? The 23" has a 20,000,000:1 contrast ratio. The 27" has a 50,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

Don't quite understand the difference as to how much this will impact the visuals.

More about : 000 000 000 000

a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 2:40:55 AM

I wouldnt worry too much about that, a lot of those numbers are more marketing than anything else. I remember hearing that they arent native/natural contrast ratios. I would be thinking more about the fact one is 23" and one is 27".
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
October 8, 2012 4:11:09 AM

Dynamic Contrast Ratio is more or less marketing hype. I actually do not like dynamic contrast and I switch it off.

Basically the monitor adjusts the brightness and contrast of the monitor based on what is being displayed. Bright scenes dynamically decreases brightness and contrast while dark scenes dynamically increase brightness and contrast (both within a certain range). I find this very annoying which is why I switch off dynamic contrast and rely solely on static contrast ratio (typically 1000:1) which is the true measure of contrast on a monitor.

Related resources
October 8, 2012 10:05:33 AM

jaguarskx said:
Dynamic Contrast Ratio is more or less marketing hype. I actually do not like dynamic contrast and I switch it off.

Basically the monitor adjusts the brightness and contrast of the monitor based on what is being displayed. Bright scenes dynamically decreases brightness and contrast while dark scenes dynamically increase brightness and contrast (both within a certain range). I find this very annoying which is why I switch off dynamic contrast and rely solely on static contrast ratio (typically 1000:1) which is the true measure of contrast on a monitor.

Thank you both for your help.

So out of those two, which would you recommend?
October 8, 2012 11:50:47 AM

The 27" monitor is an overall better monitor. It's a Full LED monitor while the 23" is only LED backlit. Also has 2ms refresh rate over the 5ms refresh rate. A little high on power consumption but not too big of a deal. Also uses HDMI and has speakers so if you want to add more speakers to ur system, great addition. Also counting its AOC, best value for money when its comes to a strong solid built monitor.

Only downside about the 27" is that the resolution isn't that great for the size of the monitor. Physically the only way you'll see pixelation is if you got ur eyes glued to the monitor but i usually see 27" being 1200+ resolution.
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2012 12:59:26 PM

jaguarskx said:

hmm i thought it was just the opposite, so bright scenes would be even brighter and dark scenes darker, thus getting higher ratio between the brightest and darkest possible state...
but yes, highly annoying and utterly useless nevertheless :lol: 

@mafi
both are led backlit...
!