New build for 3d rendering $1000

mag77

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Hey guys, I need a new computer for my classes that require 3d rendering. I am looking for a faster GPU and also (if possible a graphics card with cuda) Let me know if you have any suggestions thanks!

Approximate Purchase Date: Before January 1st

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3d rendering, gaming, videos, surfing internet

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: None
Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:newegg.com

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe for the future

Your Monitor Resolution: The higher the better, I will be using a bigger monitor 22+

Additional Comments: Will be using AutoCAD or Rhino for 3d rendering and also some games.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:My laptop won't cut it for school and I would like to work with autocad at home.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/373071-13-gaming-build-less#t2821930

Look at that tread to see the basics of your next build.

Since you have lower budget consider getting a slower GPU. Most GPUs today are much much much faster than any non gaming 3d program can use- considering that it will be directx based software for windows. OpenGL/non windows software tend to force you to get a pro card or suffer stuttering. Not all, but most.

Autocad 2012+ is perfect example of what a modern 3d software looks like and works like- windows/dx only. Afaik rhino is OGL only, but how badly it will treat you with a non quadro card, I dont know.

Also, no 3d non gaming software can utilze sli/crossfire. If you plan to do realtime HD editing in premiere cs5+, or any other CUDA based app- get nvidia gpu. Gtx 560ti is plenty fast for even the most demanding games. Gtx 660 is a nice upgrade, but you may need to get a cheaper motherboard and/or CPU. Gtx 560ti falls nicely into cathegory "much much much faster than any non gaming 3d program can use". Demanding new games can tell 660 and 560 apart, so keep that in mind.

CPU is the most important part for 3d rendering, so it makes sense that you dont get a cheaper one. Still, if i7 3770 is too pricy, i7 3570 is plenty fast. Get the "k" version if you plan to overclock- no reason why you shouldn't want to do so.

What else? If you dont want to OC, you can get away with much cheaper motherboard. Any mobo with appropriate seating for your CPU will work. AMD CPUs are sadly too slow, so they're out.

As for the monitor, check out my reply in thread I linked to at top. Basically it says get a 42"+ TV instead of a monitor- if you have the room to use a comfy sofa and time to adjust to the new working position.

Good luck.