Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Getting Low FPS with a New Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 8, 2012 3:10:45 AM

Hello!

I fairly recently built my new gaming pc, and it works very well in all things except gaming. On both online and offline games, the frames per second have been very bad (Around 10-20FPS in Guild Wars 2). My understanding was that it could handle new video games. After doing a clean reinstall on the drivers, nothing changed. Any assistance is greatly appreciated

- - - - - - -
HIS Radeon HD 7970 (3GB) GPU
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard
Corsair HX750 PSU
Intel i5-3570K IvyBridge CPU
8 GB Ram (2 x 4GB)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Cooler
WD 1TB HDD
1920x1200 resolution
Windows 7 64bit SP1
- - - - - - -

More about : low fps graphics card

October 8, 2012 3:57:28 AM

My guess is you've made the mistake of plugging your monitor directly into your motherboard. Your motherboard is based upon the Z77 chipset and thus supports use of your cpu integrated graphics and offers both a D-sub (VGA) and DVI connection on the rear I/O of the motherboard to take advantage of this feature.
In order to utilize your discrete graphics card you must plug your monitor directly into the graphics card via its connectors.
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 4:35:19 AM

Th3Exiled said:
My guess is you've made the mistake of plugging your monitor directly into your motherboard. Your motherboard is based upon the Z77 chipset and thus supports use of your cpu integrated graphics and offers both a D-sub (VGA) and DVI connection on the rear I/O of the motherboard to take advantage of this feature.
In order to utilize your discrete graphics card you must plug your monitor directly into the graphics card via its connectors.

Thanks for the reply!
Actually, I did have both DVI and VGA connected on accident.
Now only the DVI is plugged into the GPU and still, nothing has changed in-game.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 8, 2012 4:58:54 AM

You might have to disable intergrated graphics in the bios?
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 5:22:25 AM

milkshakez7z is right, you need to disable the integrated graphics and enable the dedicated graphics card. 3gb 7970 should rape GW2
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 5:30:16 AM

milkshakez7z said:
You might have to disable intergrated graphics in the bios?

Slizzard_73 said:
milkshakez7z is right, you need to disable the integrated graphics and enable the dedicated graphics card. 3gb 7970 should rape GW2


Thanks! I switched from integrated graphics to PCIE in BIOS.
I'm still getting very low FPS in GW2, though, so I'm submitting a ticket to them (in case it's server-side).
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 8:22:29 AM

what about other games? Low FPS in all of them or only GW2? Also any difference in fps between online gameplay and local gameplay?
m
0
l
!