Using two display adapters on one screen

G

Okay, I have a Sapphire 7870, and it doesn't have a VGA port, and I only have one DVI monitor, if I can I would prefer to run two monitors. So what I tried was buying an HDMI to DVI adapter, and on the end of that adapter I plugged in the DVI to VGA adapter that came with the card to run my older VGA monitor whilst I use the cards standard DVI port to run my other monitor. The problem is though, that my computer still only picks up the standard DVI monitor and not the second (VGA) screen as well...
Is it possible to get the two working or should I give up on the idea of using two adapters for one monitor?

Thanks in advance guys. :)

You're making thus harder than it has to be

HDMI is DIGITAL and equivalent to single link DVI. It cannot pass analog/VGA. The DVI port on your card DOES have analog pins. That's why they include the adapter instead of a VGA port.

Plug the VGA adapter into the DVI port on the card and connect your VGA monitor. Use the HDMI to DVI adapter to connect your DVI monitor

G

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the size of DVI plug/whateveryoucallit and the HDMI>DVI adapter didn't allow them to fit side by side the way you said, believe me I tried that first.
Any who, I've cut away the plastic on one side of each adapter to allow them to fit and have successfully tracked down another DVI monitor so all is good. Sorry to waste your time guys but thank you :)