Sign in with
Your question

Triple monitors with KVM on one

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2012 7:00:22 AM

I've been using a KVM single monitor switch between my wife and my computers right now with just one monitor. I'm getting ready to upgrade to three 22 inch monitors in a couple days. I'm thinking the kvm will just switch the one monitor for her computer and leave the other monitors displaying mine? Anyone ever done this?

More about : triple monitors kvm

a b C Monitor
October 8, 2012 7:06:01 AM

kcautosound said:
I've been using a KVM single monitor switch between my wife and my computers right now with just one monitor. I'm getting ready to upgrade to three 22 inch monitors in a couple days. I'm thinking the kvm will just switch the one monitor for her computer and leave the other monitors displaying mine? Anyone ever done this?

KVMs usually only switch one display. They're not really designed for your particular use case. I'm not sure if there are any KVMs which switch DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, but if there are they may allow for multiple displays to be daisy chained.

If you want to have 3 displays connected to two separate computers you will need to get either 3 KVMs that handle the appropriate display signals, or a single KVM that handles all three display signals at once and I'm not sure that such a beast exists.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:13:45 AM

I've seen there are three and four display KVMs but they are crazy priced and her computer is only needing one monitor to display her work. It's our business computer for quickbooks and her little odds and ends church stuff. I guess it couldn't hurt to try it and see if it will just switch the one monitor display. It's a DVI KVM switch. I'm running a triple monitor Radeon HD 5750 card and hers is just the built in graphics card for hers.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2012 7:15:34 AM

kcautosound said:
I've seen there are three and four display KVMs but they are crazy priced and her computer is only needing one monitor to display her work. It's our business computer for quickbooks and her little odds and ends church stuff. I guess it couldn't hurt to try it and see if it will just switch the one monitor display. It's a DVI KVM switch. I'm running a triple monitor Radeon HD 5750 card and hers is just the built in graphics card for hers.

Ah okay, that sounds easy enough.

Just connect the center display and keyboard/mouse up through the KVM. Leave the surround displays connected directly to your PC and advise her to turn them off when she is working if they are bothering her.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:21:13 AM

right. She's giving me static for wanting the triple displays but I think it will be very productive my website building, brochures, imaging and more. So tired of clicking on different tabs for stuff. Perfect for my corner desk and plus looks awesome as well..lol
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2012 7:27:49 AM

kcautosound said:
right. She's giving me static for wanting the triple displays but I think it will be very productive my website building, brochures, imaging and more. So tired of clicking on different tabs for stuff. Perfect for my corner desk and plus looks awesome as well..lol

Good call. Every professional I work with uses 2-3 displays. I personally use one gigantic 30 inch display
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:45:51 AM

my buddies have been trying to get me to go with one or even two 27 inchers but given the layout of my desk and closeness of the monitors I think that would be an issue. I wound up nabbing three ASUS 21.5 LED refurb monitors for $100 each. Given my budget I think I did pretty good. My thoughts I could have netflix playing on one while I work with the two or whatever. Even stretch some eyefinity across them and play some left 4 dead with my buddies after they hit me 20 times to join a game. They keep sending messages "you know you want to join", "just click the link", "you can work later"
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2012 5:45:42 PM

kcautosound said:
my buddies have been trying to get me to go with one or even two 27 inchers but given the layout of my desk and closeness of the monitors I think that would be an issue. I wound up nabbing three ASUS 21.5 LED refurb monitors for $100 each. Given my budget I think I did pretty good. My thoughts I could have netflix playing on one while I work with the two or whatever. Even stretch some eyefinity across them and play some left 4 dead with my buddies after they hit me 20 times to join a game. They keep sending messages "you know you want to join", "just click the link", "you can work later"

That certainly sounds doable. 21.5 is kinda small but I'm biased :p 
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:53:56 PM

The way my desk is designed it has book shelving on each side of where the middle monitor goes. The 21.5s fit perfect into the shelving but if I trim out some more I could fit bigger. I have been doing some measurements and 24" monitors would work. Maybe I'll return these 21.5s and throw some money towards the step ups.
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2012 7:46:17 PM

kcautosound said:
The way my desk is designed it has book shelving on each side of where the middle monitor goes. The 21.5s fit perfect into the shelving but if I trim out some more I could fit bigger. I have been doing some measurements and 24" monitors would work. Maybe I'll return these 21.5s and throw some money towards the step ups.

24 is a good sweetspot in terms of bang/buck ratio
m
l
October 15, 2012 4:01:42 AM

I think so too. Wound up getting three AOC HD 24" monitors. Love them.

m
l
!