Sign in with
Your question

New custom build, display problems!

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2012 11:52:23 PM

So I just put together my first custom build and was happy until the display never showed up. I tried VGA, DVI and HDMI and nothing worked. The system boots up, the fans spin, the HD makes its usual sounds, the disc drive works, the fan on the video card is going, the motherboard lights are on...Everything seems fines but I get no display. I've tried pretty much everything except breadboarding!

All parts are new!

Here is my build:
IN WIN fanqua Black SECC Steel (0.6mm ) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ECS A990FXM-A V1.0 AMD AM3+ 990FX 4x DDR3 6x SATA DUAL LAN DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD

AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core

MSI AMD Radeon HD 6770 R6770-MD1GD5 1GB GDDR5, DX11 PCI Express 2.1

850W Gaming 120MM Fan Silent ATX Power Supply SATA 12V

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP IF YOU CAN!
November 30, 2012 2:50:54 AM

Bump
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2012 7:31:03 AM

Lol, major overkill with the PSU, you prob's need 400-500W on that build.

Check that it is in the correct PCI-E slot?
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 8:22:33 AM

Ok a few tips for you.
1. First of all make sure the 12v extra power next to the Cpu socket is plugged in, it supplys the cpu and a bit of extra power to the pci-e slot via that connector from that point.
Make sure the extra Power connectors are connected to the back of the graphics card.

2.Have a look in the bios and make sure that the Pci-e slot is ste as the primary graphics output display device.
3. If you are still at least not getting 1 short beep then its something else.
4. You should have a check to see where and how the board likes your Ram to be placed in its memory lots, some boards are picky like that.
5. Have a check to make sure the Cpu is supported by the current bios version installed on the board, it may be a case it does not understand the cpu its using so the board will need a bios update to correct the problem. If the case you will have to find a Cpu you can put in the board first known to work with it. Then do the bios update to enable you to use the new Cpu.
6. Make sure if you have one that the bios jumper if on the mother board is set to its right position, and not set on clear, this will stop a boot.
m
l
November 30, 2012 3:11:26 PM

weaselman said:
Ok a few tips for you.
1. First of all make sure the 12v extra power next to the Cpu socket is plugged in, it supplys the cpu and a bit of extra power to the pci-e slot via that connector from that point.
Make sure the extra Power connectors are connected to the back of the graphics card.

2.Have a look in the bios and make sure that the Pci-e slot is ste as the primary graphics output display device.
3. If you are still at least not getting 1 short beep then its something else.
4. You should have a check to see where and how the board likes your Ram to be placed in its memory lots, some boards are picky like that.
5. Have a check to make sure the Cpu is supported by the current bios version installed on the board, it may be a case it does not understand the cpu its using so the board will need a bios update to correct the problem. If the case you will have to find a Cpu you can put in the board first known to work with it. Then do the bios update to enable you to use the new Cpu.
6. Make sure if you have one that the bios jumper if on the mother board is set to its right position, and not set on clear, this will stop a boot.

1. I made sure those were all plugged in correctly.
2. I have no display so I can't see the bios.
3. Maybe so.
4. I did that and put it in the correct slot (there are 2 gray and 2 white, it says plug them in the white slots).
5. I checked before I bought it.
6. I have the jumper set to normal.
m
l
November 30, 2012 5:57:49 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions?
m
l
November 30, 2012 11:06:38 PM

I guess no one can help here...I'll just take my question elsewhere
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2012 11:14:24 PM

Check the CPU Support List: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...
The CPU requires a BIOS update.
You said you checked it.
AMD FX Series 4300 FD4300WMW4MHK 95W 3.80GHz 4MB 8MB C0 since BIOS 10/19/2012
Is your board manufactured in November 2012, so that it has the required BIOS?
m
l
November 30, 2012 11:41:18 PM

alexoiu said:
Check the CPU Support List: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...
The CPU requires a BIOS update.
You said you checked it.
AMD FX Series 4300 FD4300WMW4MHK 95W 3.80GHz 4MB 8MB C0 since BIOS 10/19/2012
Is your board manufactured in November 2012, so that it has the required BIOS?

So how can I update the bios if I can't see the screen? Is there another way?
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:50:26 AM

I think I know, are you connecting your cables to the mobo or the GPU? There is a difference :p 
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:11:12 AM

StrangeInstance said:
I think I know, are you connecting your cables to the mobo or the GPU? There is a difference :p 

I connected cables to both. The 8 pin and 24 pin on the board and the 6 pin on the card!
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:23:16 AM

No I mean the HDMI or whatever you are using.
m
l
December 1, 2012 2:14:05 AM

StrangeInstance said:
No I mean the HDMI or whatever you are using.

I connected the HDMI cable to the GPU, I also tried DVI and VGA (My board doesn't have an integrated gpu or anything)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2012 5:31:02 AM

KiddKaos said:
So how can I update the bios if I can't see the screen? Is there another way?

In this case you have to use a supported CPU.
Try at a local shop or contact the reseller.
m
l
December 1, 2012 4:30:42 PM

alexoiu said:
In this case you have to use a supported CPU.
Try at a local shop or contact the reseller.

Would the processor stop me from seeing a display on the screen?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2012 4:48:02 PM

Not sure if I've correctly understood the question.
You mean, the fault is elswhere, not the CPU?
m
l
December 1, 2012 4:57:08 PM

alexoiu said:
Not sure if I've correctly understood the question.
You mean, the fault is elswhere, not the CPU?

You said I should check the CPU, as it may be unsupported or needs an update to the BIOS. But my question is, will having an unsupported CPU prevent me from seeing something displayed on the screen? Because I see absolutely nothing when I power on the system. The system is hooked to my TV through HDMI and all I get it the blue screen that my TV has when the source is not being detected.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2012 5:09:05 PM

Yes, an unsupported CPU would prevent the system from booting.
m
l
!