IGPU change to Discrete Video Card

phantom_410

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hi Everyone, I recently built this new pc. Here is my current setup: ASUS P8Z77-V, Intel I7-3770K, Team Elite 1333mhz RAM, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and 250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue. I haven't bought my video card yet and that is what I'm about to ask right now. I'm currently using the Integrated GPU of i7 3770K (HD 4000 Graphics). I installed the drivers and all of the other stuff needed to run the system. I am just confused if ever I install the new video card (planning to buy a 7950) will I reformat my pc again? or just remove the HD4000 graphics driver and mount the new video card and install the new catalyst driver without ever reformatting it? Thanks!

Solution
The 7950 is just another video adapter to windows 7 which can handle many.
When you boot, the motherboard should select the adapter that has a monitor attached to show the bios messages and windows display.

When you physically install the 7950, it will operate in a low res default mode that does not need a driver.
Install the amd driver, either from the cd supplied, or from the amd web site from which you cleverly have previously downloaded your future driver.

No need to uninstall anything.

unreal9400

Distinguished
The integrated GPU will automatically be disabled once you add a graphics card.
No removal of drivers are required once the new Video card is installed.
You don't have to reformat windows again.
Just insert the new video card and download the latest catalyst drivers from AMD website.

The 7950 is just another video adapter to windows 7 which can handle many.
When you boot, the motherboard should select the adapter that has a monitor attached to show the bios messages and windows display.

When you physically install the 7950, it will operate in a low res default mode that does not need a driver.
Install the amd driver, either from the cd supplied, or from the amd web site from which you cleverly have previously downloaded your future driver.

No need to uninstall anything.

Solution

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

Unless trying to take advantage of the Lucid Virtu that allows the HD4000 IGPU to become a helper for the discrete card, then you leave or switch it to enabled in the BIOS instead of the auto or disabled setting.

It should be on auto by default, and it will disable the IGPU automatically once it detects the new discrete card.