Cthul

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I'm looking to try my hand at building a computer. Needs to be good for gaming and all around use. Any thoughts on any of these parts or things that just straight up don't work together ( motherboard/video card). Thanks in advance. I'm new at this and a lot of its over my head but I really don't want to mess it up or waste money on junk parts

AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 Eight-Core 4GHz AM3+ Processor

Asus GeForce GTX 660 GTX660-DC2-2GD5 Video Card - 2GB

MSI 970A-G46 AMD 9 Series Motherboard

Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB)

WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5", SATA, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache

Lite-On Internal 24X DVD Writer

Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower Computer Case

I was also looking at this CPU AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core CPU. Is the fx going to be worth the extra $100? Thanks again

Corvo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hey,

Here are my thoughts:
1st swap the 660 for a 7870 as it has WAY better performance all round.

2nd I'd get a Seagate Barracuda instead of the WD blue (maybe consider a 1tb hdd?)

3rd If you want to go with amd, I would go with a asrock board instead of a msi as asrock are more reliable.
Also, for gaming, I would recommend an Intel i5 CPU as they are better for gaming and the new Ivy Bridge run on the 22nm processor so they use less power.
And for that I would use an Asus board.

5th What PSU are you using? If you have one, which one and If you don't, I recommend a 600W PSU (maybe a Corsair GS-600?)

They are my thoughts!

Luke

Cthul

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Thanks guys. The more I look the more I see the i5 used. I was not set hard set on the amd. I was just looking at micro atx. I will be dragging it over to friends now and again so it would be nice to have the smaller case.

Cthul

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
For a case I was looking at APEVIA X-QPACK2-BK/500 I like the cube cases. Would this have room for the video card and will the 500w power supply Be enough? Thank again guy.

Do not buy that case. It is a wonderful design (if you use a modular PSU), but its material quality and workmanship just plain suck. I bought one a few years back, and it was so bad it ended up in the grabbage after six months or so of constant frustration.
Furthermore, its included PSU-shaped object should not be connected to computer components if there is any possibility of it being plugged into an A/C power source at the same time. I'd be surprised if it's good for 350W, and that not cleanly.
For small cases, check out Lian Li, BUT be aware they aren't always great at handling a lot of heat, which gaming rigs tend to produce. I had a mobo fry in one, even though the CPU was at stock, and never got over 60C.

Cthul

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Rosewill LINE-M looks like it will do. Anything I'm missing her. I guess I need a wireless card. How many mbps should I be looking for? Can you guys think of anything I'm overlooking? Wires, extra fans? I think I'll grab windows 7 for this.

the antec one is still built better than most cases around that price point.

other option is the corsair 200R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

hbeduryan818

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
The i5 is not much different than the 8350. The i5 will probably get 5-10 more fps thats all. Most games are gpu relevant so they wont really rely on the cpu. Your 8350 build sounds very well. The only big difference is the power drag like someone else said but if you need less power turn off your lights.

Cthul

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
The rosewill was looking good because it's a little smaller and I will tote it around frome time to time, but it won't be every day so I'm open to one of the others if the quality is that much better. What about the wireless card? Should I stick with windows 7 or go to 8? Thanks again guys. You have been a huge help.

I have built in 6-7 different Rosewill cases. Like all cheap cases, the low-end ones are somewhat thin, but the fit and finish has been good, and I didn't cut myself on any of them. They typically come with more fans and longer internal cables (e.g. front panel audio) than competitors like CM. My wife took a cheap micro-ATX build in one down to her brother's family in El Salvador, in her carry-on luggage, and it arrived in perfect condition. Still, that was a one-time trip. If you're going to move it a good bit, you may want something sturdier, like an Antec as TBT suggests. My Fractal Design Define Mini is similarly robust, although that does make it heavy (the SG-650 in the bottom of it isn't helping in the weight department).
Unless you're getting a touch screen, I'd stick to Windows 7.