Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Worth an upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2012 5:39:26 PM

So currently I have a EVGA GTX560, And it is doing me just find for my games (Mainly Minecraft and Black Mesa)

but soon I intend to buy Battlefield 3 and I am wondering if it is worth upgrading so I can play the game. or will I be able to play it as it is?

I don't use AA and I play on a 32Inch Monitor.

I am looking at a GTX570 as there is one for sale somewhere for £230.

Cheers.

More about : worth upgrade

a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 5:45:15 PM

You will be able to play it as it is but not on maximum settings. I suggest you get the game then decide if you want to upgrade, at that price you can get a Radeon 7950 which would be much better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 6:56:26 PM

LordTsar said:
So currently I have a EVGA GTX560, And it is doing me just find for my games (Mainly Minecraft and Black Mesa)

but soon I intend to buy Battlefield 3 and I am wondering if it is worth upgrading so I can play the game. or will I be able to play it as it is?

Cheers.

7950 or gtx 660 would do you good..Always better to have options instead of just 1
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 269 U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 8:03:30 PM

LordTsar said:

Cheers.

Do not act prematurely.
Buy BF3 and see how you do first.

If you need more graphics power, do not buy a GTX570. The increase in capability is not that much and you will be disappointed.
If you do a graphics upgrade, make it a significant jump of a couple of tiers. Perhaps to a GTX670 or 7970.
October 8, 2012 8:18:33 PM

GTX670.
m
l
October 8, 2012 8:19:35 PM

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply. The reason I was drawn to the 570 was because of the price and well.... I liked the colours.... Which worry's me.

A few other questions. does RAM speed effect BF3? My Mobo only supports 1333Mhz RAM (Its from an older build) and I am worried it might not work as well.

One final question: One of my friends is buying a Chillblast PC and he plans to run BF3, Portal 2 and GTA 5 once it comes out. But the GPU is only a 550TI which has me concered that they will not run well. What do you think?

Cheers!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 8:34:20 PM

LordTsar said:
Hi there!

Thanks for the reply. The reason I was drawn to the 570 was because of the price and well.... I liked the colours.... Which worry's me.

A few other questions. does RAM speed effect BF3? My Mobo only supports 1333Mhz RAM (Its from an older build) and I am worried it might not work as well.

One final question: One of my friends is buying a Chillblast PC and he plans to run BF3, Portal 2 and GTA 5 once it comes out. But the GPU is only a 550TI which has me concered that they will not run well. What do you think?

Cheers!

Ram won't make a difference unless the ram is below 1066 mhz.
m
l
October 8, 2012 8:36:19 PM

That's good then, got me worried that I would have to make a new investment. also I have only just found out my Mobo has a DVI port. Interesting....

Any thought on the 550TI?
m
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 8:41:00 PM

LordTsar said:
Any thought on the 550TI?

It's worse than what you already have. You mean the 660 Ti?
m
l
October 8, 2012 8:43:45 PM

Nope.

I was saying that I friend is buying a Pc but it comes with the 550Ti but he wants to play BF3, Portal 2 and GTA 5 when it arrives. But I am not sure that it will run well.

I wont be trading out my 560. Even if it is a bit loud for my liking.

(Also this is a really nice forum to be on!)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 8:51:29 PM

LordTsar said:
Nope.

I was saying that I friend is buying a Pc but it comes with the 550Ti but he wants to play BF3, Portal 2 and GTA 5 when it arrives. But I am not sure that it will run well.

I wont be trading out my 560. Even if it is a bit loud for my liking.

(Also this is a really nice forum to be on!)

The 550ti is a terrible investment, there are better cards out there for the same money
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 8:53:07 PM

What resolution is your monitor and how attached are you to Ultra quality settings?

You should be able to run 1600x900 or 1920x1080 at High quality with great framerates.

m
l
a c 269 U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 8:54:25 PM

LordTsar said:
Hi there!

Cheers!

Ram speed has negligible effect if your cpu is Intel <1%. More so on amd.

BF3 has a recommended graphics card of GTX560. minimum is much less than that.
I think you both can run OK.
http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

Google to see the official requirements for the other games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 9:10:45 PM

550Ti is about the same as my Radeon 5770 and with 1680x1050, I get 30-40fps with high or 50-60 with medium in multiplayer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 9:59:59 PM

dwaight said:
GTX670.

A 670 will cost WELL over the budget he mentioned.
m
l
October 9, 2012 6:17:29 AM

Hi there.

Not fussed about Ultra settings. Just as long as there is more than 3 colors on the screen. I will inform my friend that he should upgrade the 550Ti.

Also I didnt understand what you said about the RAM. Even more so the 1% bit.
m
l
a c 269 U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 2:48:43 PM

LordTsar said:
Hi there.

Not fussed about Ultra settings. Just as long as there is more than 3 colors on the screen. I will inform my friend that he should upgrade the 550Ti.

Also I didnt understand what you said about the RAM. Even more so the 1% bit.

Synthetic benchmarks show a big difference with higher ram speeds, but real app performance or fps does not.
Here is an article on ram scaling. It applies to ivy bridge also:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...
m
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 3:45:47 PM

geofelt said:
Synthetic benchmarks show a big difference with higher ram speeds, but real app performance or fps does not.
Here is an article on ram scaling. It applies to ivy bridge also:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

Why would it be any different for AMD though? Are you thinking of the articles about how the APU graphics scale with memory clocks? Because that's a different thing. GPUs require more memory bandwidth than CPUs.
m
l
October 9, 2012 6:45:04 PM

Well my main question is will my slower RAM effect my games?

I hope not...
m
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 6:56:26 PM

Faster RAM would be better, but pretty much never enough to be noticeable.

In CPU-oriented workloads, like compressing some files, the difference will perhaps be big enough to be noticeable, but even then far from crippling.
m
l
October 9, 2012 8:41:57 PM

Thanks.

Well it looks like this has all my questions answered.

Now to get on with the rebuild!
m
l
October 9, 2012 8:42:55 PM

Best answer selected by LordTsar.
m
l
!