Sign in with
Your question

Normal Ping, Low Download/Upload Speed

Last response: in Networking
November 20, 2011 12:32:36 PM

Recently I have been having some problems. I play video games and there is a mechanism in the game to keep track of my ping, which is stable at 20. However, the problem comes in the fact that when I test my download/upload speeds, they are at 0.14mbps/0.73mbps respectively, which is very low, and affects my gameplay very much. This always happens at night, but in the daytime, it is quite normal. Can anyone enlighten me on what might be happening in my scenario?
November 20, 2011 11:01:44 PM

What type of WAN connection? ADSL, cable, other? If cable, the link might be very busy at night.
m
l
November 21, 2011 3:44:41 PM

A1B2C3D4 said:
Recently I have been having some problems. I play video games and there is a mechanism in the game to keep track of my ping, which is stable at 20. However, the problem comes in the fact that when I test my download/upload speeds, they are at 0.14mbps/0.73mbps respectively, which is very low, and affects my gameplay very much. This always happens at night, but in the daytime, it is quite normal. Can anyone enlighten me on what might be happening in my scenario?

the "ping" is just to test the time in miliseconds it would take for a packet to be sent and recieved from the server to you or from you to the server, it really has nothing to do with your internet. I for one have the same problem, i live in a dorm room and i do play video games alot as well. When i go and play battlefield 3 or something like that it will say that yes my ping is "15" or something, but because there are many other people in the same building as i am, my download/upload speed drops like a rock. The ping may be low (which does help in some cases) but if theres someone else at night using your internet and or downloading something at the same time that you are playing your games, you will experience low speeds. I for one am someone whom plays games normally during the day, but at night i leave downloads on when i go to sleep so they are finished when i wake up. Maybe in your case someone else in your house or someone on your network has started a heavy download and has gone to sleep, in which case it is taking your own bandwidth away from your gaming.
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2011 12:25:23 AM

I'm have a similar problem ,except all the time, and i managed to make it a little better by disabling my firewall. if you have one, just disable it, try the dl/ul speeds again, and see if the games work better.
P.S. my speeds still are very unstable, bouncing around from 81 kb/s to 59 kb/s, and i have found no permanent fix to it, other than removing my display driver, which is impractical for me. some sort of driver conflict in sp1.
m
l
November 22, 2011 6:56:57 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. To answer your queries/suggestions:

1. I am using wireless internet
2. My firewall has been disabled the whole time
3. The only people using the internet other than me at night are my parents, who don't download anything, for them the internet is just for basic browsing. Furthermore, I have recently had these problems in the day time as well.

So I was suspecting if there could be anyone "stealing" my internet, even hacking through my WEP code. I ran a test with command prompt, NET VIEW. Apart from my own PC, I found that there was another device using my internet called EMACHINE-(SERIAL CODE), and under the comments were mendoza. Does anyone have any clue what that would be?
m
l
November 22, 2011 10:39:20 AM

If your parents' PC name isn't EMACHINE-(SERIAL CODE), then you probably have a shared Internet connection, e.g., cable. If so, then you are sharing with your neighbors.
m
l
November 22, 2011 4:35:56 PM

A1B2C3D4 said:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. To answer your queries/suggestions:

1. I am using wireless internet
2. My firewall has been disabled the whole time
3. The only people using the internet other than me at night are my parents, who don't download anything, for them the internet is just for basic browsing. Furthermore, I have recently had these problems in the day time as well.

So I was suspecting if there could be anyone "stealing" my internet, even hacking through my WEP code. I ran a test with command prompt, NET VIEW. Apart from my own PC, I found that there was another device using my internet called EMACHINE-(SERIAL CODE), and under the comments were mendoza. Does anyone have any clue what that would be?

For security issues i suggest using a WPA2 encryption instead of WEP, as wep keys are very easy to hack / find. If you really want to go all out i suggest that ontop of using the WPA 2 encryption, you should enable MAC Filtering, which will allow only computers with their mac addresses listed in the router to connect, regardless if they have your wireless password or not if mac filtering is on their gonna have a hell of a time trying to spoof your MAC.

The only possible thing that i could suggest as to what the cause of your bandwidth problems is, would be the fact that your internet connection is streamed through a local HUB somewhere down your street. Sometimes this can cause problems, where someone else in your neighbour hood is downloading something large and all the information is being bottlenecked at this one HUB, forcing you to have a lower download / upload speed. This is not always the case, as newer neighbourhoods have their own personal connection to their ISP through the lines buried under the road etc.

I Suggest that you use those Security points I mentioned (WPA2 and MAC Filtering) and if your speed still does not change, then either your ISP is being stupid and is capping your internet at times, or its the local hub in your neighbouthood.
m
l
!