tr0lle

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
So I built a new computer and everything was fine expect the PSU (corsair tx 650 v2) made coil noise. So I returned it and get a Enermax NAXN 82+ instead. The coil noise is much lower now, but now its the GPU (Sapphire dual-x 950 mhz edition) making coil noise instead :fou:

If the case is closed, im pretty sure I can live with it, but man I just wish it didnt say anything at all and its better to get its fixed than later..

But can you even have a PSU/GPU thats completely coil noise free, will it always say something? do some of you have a completely silent system, minus the fans of course?

Im thinking about trying to a different 7950 gpu brand :heink:

And for the record my mb is a asus p8z77-v lx.

Coil noise should never be ignored as it causes real problems on down the road depending on the coil type. As for the card I would consider returning it for a card that does not use ferrite shielded inductors that are surface mounted. The problem is degradation and mechanical wear of the insulation. Also the gauge of the wire is very low so high current loads and bad insulation results in shorts that often weaken the coil.

tr0lle

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Im having a hard time ignoring it aswell, this cant be normal for a brand new computer :-(

I have tried overclocking/underclocking, updating mb bios, disable/enable all kind of power options, both in bios and windows power management, tried different drivers.

Im just not sure which hardware is causing it.

With corsair tx 650 psu, the noise was definitely coming from the psu, most noticeable as I had the psu far away from the case. Both my new sapphire 7950 and my old 8800 gt caused coil noise/whine.

With new enermax NAXN82+ psu, the coil noise is coming from the sapphire 7950, while my old 8800 gt is silent.

I also tried plugging the sapphire 7950 into my old computer, both with old psu and motherboard and the sapphire 7950 still made noise.

So my conclusion is that it has to be the sapphire 7950 who is at fault :s

You mention ferrite shielded inductors, which kind of GPU has those?

It can belong to any but it is a power related component and different types perform differently. What they used on your card is cheap and small so it is common to see them now days. There are certain models from different brands that should be avoided like HIS when it comes to their 78x0 series and reference model gtx6xx.

Once the coil goes bad and shorts real problems like artifacts pop up.

tr0lle

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I think im gooing to try order the MSI 7950 TFIII. Seems pretty much hit n miss with coil whine, so im just going hope for the best :)

cooldudesubho

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hey Nforce my gtx 670 reference also makes a slight noise when i am gaming without Vsync.But the noise is very faint and can only be heard when i bring my ear close to my card.Also the noise becomes a bit loud if i play old games without VSync getting around 200 frames.But still can only be heard if i bring my ear to the card.It sounds like peep peep.

What to do man?

tr0lle

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
@cooldudesubho

to my knowledge there isnt much you can do, except trying another card :pt1cable:

cheap components and mass production = many cards with coil noise/whine :fou:

The 670 that is reference is a card to avoid like the plague because of that issue but the custom models like from Asus use different designs and components. Same problems as the GTX280 and 580 as examples.