Computer black screen & freezing up

wiley87

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hello all, I have scoured hundreds of threads but am still at a loss.

I have recently purchased a new computer and installed WoW. Everything plays fine, however randomly the game will freeze. My monitor will turn black, followed by no signal. All other programs seemingly also stop, although I am only basing this on the fact that my music player halts as soon as the monitor turns off.

Since I first posted this on another forum I have changed the PSU even though temperatures and other readings were normal. The problem still exists and is VERY random. The last few days it hasn't happened at all, today possibly 10+.

Different problems occur. Most of the time it is a black screen, then the computer will freeze. Other times, it will black screen but still have sound coming from it. No alt+F4 or other responses work. Also, today I had a white screen, followed by a lock up.

GPU temperatures are at 50 degrees whilst running, otherwise it's 25. GPU usage is roughly 35%, so it doesn't seem to be temperature related. My main game is WoW, however this problem occurred once when I played Killing Floor also, but only once.

I'm sort of at a loss now. After a PSU change the problems persist, and with the temperatures being so low on the GPU I have been told it's apparently not that. I thought the community here would probably have more ideas about the problem. Just for reference I have added my specs below, thankyou in advance for helping if you can!

Case InWIN MANA-136 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD A6-3670K APU (2.7GHz, 4 Cores) & AMD Radeon™ HD 6530D Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® F1A55-M LK R2.0: FM1 A-SERIES, SATA 3.0GB/s, Windows 8 Ready!
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD7850 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE AMD CPU COOLER
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
O/S Windows 7 SP1

Side note: I am running Catalyst 12.8. The PC is less than four weeks old and after a PSU change it still locks up.

TL;DR Black screen lock ups whilst playing games. Sometimes different coloured crash screens, always the same lock up of system. GPU temperatures safe.

start will the mb bios. make sure it up to date. a lot of them now have cpu and other bug fixes. use cpu-z make sure your ram speed set right in the bios. cpu spd tab show you the speed that your ram can run. use gpu-z to make sure your ext gpu is runing at the right speed and is working fine. (use memtest to check your ram).
as your cpu has a gpu built in i would set the bios to gpu first and make sure the onboard igpu is turned off. could have some software or hardware trying to crossfire the two cards. one issue that it could be is under load the mb voltage regs are over heating and crashing.

chang792

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Simple Suggestions

Did you install driver from ATI, if yes, DON'T.

GO to the manufacturer of the Grahpcis card and install driver there...

Might help, might not...

wiley87

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

thankyou for your suggestions. i shall see if i can sort that all out today, any tips or pointers would be great as to what im looking for as i have never managed a bios before. to be honest, it's being such a pain any help would be grateful.

i believe the drivers were already installed before it arrived, so i am not sure. i checked the drivers using Catalyst and they said they were all up to date, but I shall have a search around some more just to be safe. thanks for the quick reply.

wiley87

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
just to add to this, it has been fine today for a period of around 3 hours. after exiting the game and going back in, within two minutes the computer froze up with a WHITE screen.

does that help the situation, or is it not a case of what color it is?

wiley87

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
I have checked both the BIOS and the drivers for the GPU and both are up to date as well as installed from the manufacturer.

The problem is still very persistent. Some of the time it will be fine, however an hour ago it happened 6 times in 6 minutes. GPU temperatures are fine, usage is fine, air flow is fine, graphics settings whether they are on Low or Ultra make no difference.

The computer keeps running when it freezes up and goes either black or white. Nothing responds and sometimes when it is a white screen sound still plays.

If anyone has any other suggestions at all it would be great. The outlet I bought it from say they will replace the GPU for free, however they now say it could be the chip itself rather than the card.

wiley87

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Edit: Just happened again, screen goes black and sometimes like just now the fan goes into over drive. Now, I know that temperature isn't issue, so I can't understand why the fan would go from 30% to what sounds like full speed when the screen blanks out.

TRENDING THREADS