Can I upgrade my ACER Aspire's GPU?

flemw1234

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
model: AX1470-EW10P

I looked everywhere and can't find the info... can I upgrade my video card to a new low profile card?

thanks in advance...

Solution

flemw1234

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks Looniam I appreciate the response what would be the number one best performing card to buy then for the system? Also the two comparions between them would make my choice quick simple and convincing... thanks again...

G

with your system specs i would say yes.

i hope you understand that this is not going to get you to play BF3 or crysis2. maybe a decent frame rate in D3 on low settings . . .

G

sure, though before you go too far down that road and trying not to sound harsh; what you have is an entry level PC set up, it does a great job running desktop applications, web browsing, watching videos and some very light gaming.

so upgrading the PSU in hopes of getting a big honking graphics card to play high end games would a waste of money.

now if you want to get a 350-450 watt PSU to add a 7770 card and have a little room to add a bluray drive and some hard drives for media storage, that would be reasonable.

flemw1234

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Nope I pretty much want it to play shogun 2 total war....don't care to watch blurays on my computer and have 1.5 TB and have trouble even filling 50 gb worth of data...

G

that chart is if you get just the 6570 which your PSU right now can handle.

actually finding a small sized PSU to upgrade for using a better card ,that would need a PCI power connection, is more difficult than i thought and expensive too.
Athena Power AP-TFX40 400W $119.99
btw, i did notice you are in canada . .right?

that PSU is for a slim line case though you might have a ATX (usual size) but put on its side, by chance would you be able to tell?

twelve25

Distinguished
It's always a crap shoot if you can upgrade a slim case power supply. Sometimes they are odd shapes. I had a Compaq slim case with a triangle shaped one and another that was L shaped.

I'd also seriously wonder if a 6570 could be run reliably on a 220w PSU.

G

its a ~45 watt card
power-3.png

less than 130 watt total, its fine.

flemw1234

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

looniam....I could measure the psu in inches if you'd like if that could help my situation....and yes I live in canada although I don't really know what that has to do with anything?...I basically know nothing about the current gen of computers I knew pretty well everything from the old Athlon XP's and back I used to be a tech for an ISP I gave up on computers because I just got tired of trying to keep up with everything and other things in life came my way....

flemw1234

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
I opened it up and this is the info I could gather....it's a Delta Electronics Inc, Switching PSU (model DPS-220UB-3A, REV 00F).....shaped like a rectangular cube, with the frontal corner cut out of it like a staircase step, out of the cut out corner is the mass of wired connections.....the psu is roughly 2.5" high (top to bottom), 3.5" deep (towards the mobo inside of the tower), and under 8.5" long....I don't know if it's ATX I'm thinking no....it doesn't look like any ATX I've ever seen....mini-ITX or TFX needed most likely...I just want one that fits and provides the needed power for a powerful low profile such as an AFOX 7850. 6850, or AMD 7750...

twelve25

Distinguished
Solution

flemw1234

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks twelve...having the number three selected low profile card is fine by me.....although how do you know if the AFOX's are too long?? I also assume the 7770 doesn't have a low profile variant?

twelve25

Distinguished

I don't KNOW they are too long, but I suspect they are. You have a small form factor case and long cards sometimes have problems even in big mid tower ATX cases. You'd have to measure the space in your case, factoring in any drives and case elements that would get in the way. As far as I know, nobody sells them in the US and they are extremely expensive to import.

I've never seen anything better than a 7750 available in low profile at any of the normal places to shop.

Just as a note, if you are serious about getting a better gaming card, you might consider gutting your Acer and using most of the parts to build a new rig with a standard size case and power supply. I am not sure if your motherboard would mount in a normal case, but everything else should, and you were going to buy a new PSU and GPU anyway. It might end up being better in the long run.

astro2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I'm a noob but i'd say yes, all you need to do is find a good low profile video card, the only problem is the power source i.e PSU

all you need to do is run a more powerful PSU through the system, i solve the problem merely by buying a "thermaltake 600 watt" it has heaps of cables of what you need and there is a insulted mesh around the main power connector, works well typing on the computer now

all i did was just run the cables via the back of the tower into the motherboard/hdd/blu-ray drive, the psu is on the outside so now there is heaps of room for air to get into the tower but also the psu looks sleek black and beautiful sitting behind my huge lcd monitor