Community development project: Wirelessly connecting neigh..

Last response: in Networking
March 30, 2005 1:51:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I am a community development worker in my locale (Australia), and have been
engaged to implement an IT development strategy.

Basically, the strategy seeks to help "jump-start" those who are on the
other side of the digital-divide in terms of "catching-up" with real-world
technologies. Part of this strategy is supplying refurbished computers to
disadvantaged families along with training for this technology.

We are investigating the use of a wide-area, or broad-acre wireless
networking solution to provide a freely accessible local portal (and in
future, an entire suburb) for these users that will be utilised to provide
information and services with internet access also being a possibility down
the track.

I have read of students in New Zealand (http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/)
creating a very low-cost alternative to extended wireless coverage using
only a USB WiFi adaptor and chinese parabolic cookware to increase WiFi
range extension to 3-5km (2-3miles).

With this in mind, I am after thoughts and ideas as to how we could
implement such a solution at a low cost.

Many thanks on your appreciated thoughts.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:51:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

One more thing I forgot to mention although it is not a low cost
alternative, our islands have recently been getting broadband access
through a wireless medium (wireless digital cable and internet Island
wide (140 squared miles) and at a low cost as well.. I believe
microwave is used but i am really not sure

Maybe you could email them and ask a few questions about the way their
technology is implemented... innovation may come about?

http://www.westtel.ky/

Proph3t
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:51:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I am not that much in depth in terms of wireless networking but excuse
me anyways, these are the kind of ideas that the world needs... it is
people like you that commit and make change

Very pleased to hear what you are doing even though this is a long ways
away from my commonwealth territory (Cayman Islands)

Believe it or not up to 3 years ago dialup internet was 30 dollars a
month for 20 hours :(

Broadband is accessible now thankfully... but anyways good job!

Proph3t
March 30, 2005 3:38:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hello.

The world record, without using radio amplification is 70,5 km.
You can see the details in here:
http://www.canada-wireless.net/article.php?sid=6

At the end of the article you can find some contact details.

Have fun,

ZionIFL wrote:

> I am a community development worker in my locale (Australia), and have been
> engaged to implement an IT development strategy.
>
> Basically, the strategy seeks to help "jump-start" those who are on the
> other side of the digital-divide in terms of "catching-up" with real-world
> technologies. Part of this strategy is supplying refurbished computers to
> disadvantaged families along with training for this technology.
>
> We are investigating the use of a wide-area, or broad-acre wireless
> networking solution to provide a freely accessible local portal (and in
> future, an entire suburb) for these users that will be utilised to provide
> information and services with internet access also being a possibility down
> the track.
>
> I have read of students in New Zealand (http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/)
> creating a very low-cost alternative to extended wireless coverage using
> only a USB WiFi adaptor and chinese parabolic cookware to increase WiFi
> range extension to 3-5km (2-3miles).
>
> With this in mind, I am after thoughts and ideas as to how we could
> implement such a solution at a low cost.
>
> Many thanks on your appreciated thoughts.

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 4:29:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Proph3t - regards and thank you for your words.

The reason the project came out was because of a lack of multicultural and
indigienous communities (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders) access and
usage to information technologies and to ensure that they can basically
"survive" in the digital age.

The onslaught of technology is only ever increasing, and as such - so too
does the digital divide.

Providing computers and a community portal that serves as an information hub
is one of the ways this problem can be addressed - and as such, this project
is aiming to implement a strategy whereby not only are disadvantaged
families equipped with computers, but also the connectivity coupled with the
training required to jump-start them in this new venture.

That's why I'm looking at investigating the use of wireless technology -
that can span broad acerage, in an attempt to provide the connectivity for
these "new-starts". It is a double-edged sword also, as "mainstream" users
will benefit from a grass-roots wireless network that could provide internet
access as well as the local portal.

Thanks for the ideas people (speaking in faith here...).

"proph3t" <craigoscott@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am not that much in depth in terms of wireless networking but excuse
> me anyways, these are the kind of ideas that the world needs... it is
> people like you that commit and make change
>
> Very pleased to hear what you are doing even though this is a long ways
> away from my commonwealth territory (Cayman Islands)
>
> Believe it or not up to 3 years ago dialup internet was 30 dollars a
> month for 20 hours :(
>
> Broadband is accessible now thankfully... but anyways good job!
>
> Proph3t

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:31:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Just where ARE you in Australia? It's big country mate! WiFi signals
can go for miles in dry outback rural regions, but urban
trees/hills/buildings can drastically limit ranges unless you've good
line of sight (LOS) between the access point(AP)& users, whose skill
levels are pretty important too...

What sort of PC gear do your end users have as well - old laptops may
work a treat of course & be virtually free.

Stan ( via=> www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz)
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:37:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I'm still just a confused Kiwi on your Oz. LOCATION ! Are you looking
at Torres St or Cayman Is.? Very boring issues - mains power,
rain, wind, insects, terrain, skills, budget, maintenance , materials
etc often GREATLY influence just how one goes about a quest like
this... Details? Stan in NZ
!