Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 8 or Windows 7 for new computer

Last response: in Windows 8
February 1, 2013 5:55:03 PM

Hey guys,

I'm building my first gaming PC and was wondering which OS I should use. I get Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Professional both for free from school. Which one would I be better off having? I won't have a touch screen monitor or anything like that either. Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 10:58:26 PM

Hi :) 

For a Gamer ..7 every time...

My shops build high end gaming Pc`s and we have NOT put 8 on a single one...too many problems with certain games....

I have seen 3 threads about it here tonight alone...

So 7 Pro ...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 11:02:09 PM

lcfballplayer43 said:
Hey guys,

I'm building my first gaming PC and was wondering which OS I should use. I get Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Professional both for free from school. Which one would I be better off having? I won't have a touch screen monitor or anything like that either. Thanks!

I suggest you go to a store like office depot and try out the pc's with windows 8.
I did not much like it but there IS a learning curve.
There are certainly going to be some support and other issues, being new.
From a functionality or performance point of view, I see no compelling reason for one or the other.
For me, with several pc's in the household, I am sticking with windows 7 for some time.
I can't be bothered with switching and supporting two different os versions.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 11:02:53 PM

The-f-word said:
I game allllll dayyyy errrrry dayyyyyyy. And I have not run into a single issue with 8, And if I encounter one I believe compatibility mode should solve it.

This is just like when 7 came out and it took people forever to migrate from xp. Its just a matter of getting used to it and having drivers developed.

Just do a search here for 8 and gaming problems.... there are LOTS of threads...

Just because YOUR games work , does NOT mean the OP`s WILL WORK.... Some wont even install with 8...

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 11:05:18 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Forgot to add... for a gaming PC ...you NEED to spend one THIRD of your total budget on the graphics card...

This is mine lol >>> http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=4...

For what it is worth, my rule of thumb is to spend twice the cpu budget on the graphics card
if you will be gaming on a single monitor.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 11:10:13 PM

geofelt said:
For what it is worth, my rule of thumb is to spend twice the cpu budget on the graphics card
if you will be gaming on a single monitor.

Good advice and roughly the same as mine...

Although personally I think my £760/$1000 graphics card was a little out in that calculation...

a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 11:14:23 PM

8 has been good to me too, I would get 8

Best solution

February 1, 2013 11:16:24 PM

I upgraded to 8 all games run like a BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!
February 2, 2013 12:56:59 AM

Windows 8 all the way. The interface is way smoother then windows 7.
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 1:09:52 AM

8 all the way
February 12, 2013 11:33:44 AM

Best answer selected by lcfballplayer43.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 12, 2013 11:34:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
!