Closed Solved

Windows 8 or Windows 7 for new computer

Hey guys,

I'm building my first gaming PC and was wondering which OS I should use. I get Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Professional both for free from school. Which one would I be better off having? I won't have a touch screen monitor or anything like that either. Thanks!
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows windows computer
  1. Hi :)

For a Gamer ..7 every time...

My shops build high end gaming Pc`s and we have NOT put 8 on a single one...too many problems with certain games....

I have seen 3 threads about it here tonight alone...

So 7 Pro ...

All the best Brett :)
  2. Hi :)

Forgot to add... for a gaming PC ...you NEED to spend one THIRD of your total budget on the graphics card...

This is mine lol >>> http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=423

3. lcfballplayer43 said:
    Hey guys,

I'm building my first gaming PC and was wondering which OS I should use. I get Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Professional both for free from school. Which one would I be better off having? I won't have a touch screen monitor or anything like that either. Thanks!

I suggest you go to a store like office depot and try out the pc's with windows 8.
    I did not much like it but there IS a learning curve.
    There are certainly going to be some support and other issues, being new.
    From a functionality or performance point of view, I see no compelling reason for one or the other.
    For me, with several pc's in the household, I am sticking with windows 7 for some time.
    I can't be bothered with switching and supporting two different os versions.
  4. The-f-word said:
    I game allllll dayyyy errrrry dayyyyyyy. And I have not run into a single issue with 8, And if I encounter one I believe compatibility mode should solve it.

This is just like when 7 came out and it took people forever to migrate from xp. Its just a matter of getting used to it and having drivers developed.

Hi :)

Just do a search here for 8 and gaming problems.... there are LOTS of threads...

Just because YOUR games work , does NOT mean the OP`s WILL WORK.... Some wont even install with 8...

5. Brett928S2 said:

Forgot to add... for a gaming PC ...you NEED to spend one THIRD of your total budget on the graphics card...

This is mine lol >>> http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=423

For what it is worth, my rule of thumb is to spend twice the cpu budget on the graphics card
    if you will be gaming on a single monitor.
  6. geofelt said:
    For what it is worth, my rule of thumb is to spend twice the cpu budget on the graphics card
    if you will be gaming on a single monitor.

Good advice and roughly the same as mine...

Although personally I think my £760/$1000 graphics card was a little out in that calculation...

7. 8 has been good to me too, I would get 8
  8. Best answer
    I upgraded to 8 all games run like a BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Windows 8 all the way. The interface is way smoother then windows 7.
  10. 8 all the way
  11. Best answer selected by lcfballplayer43.
  12. This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Computers Windows 8