Nokia 6230, good choice?

Last response: in Brands
Share
January 4, 2005 3:06:06 PM

Hello All,

I consider buying the 6230 type, what I want to do with it is;

-call (duh :)
-SMS
-use it as a 'modem' for my PDA, by using bluetooth between the 6230 phone
and the PDA. My ISP supports GPRS access so I'd like to use that for
sending/ receiving mail, news and stuff on my PDA.
-occasionally take pictures and send them via MMS or transfer to my PDA.

the pda is a Loox 610BT/WLAN with WM2003 by the way.

Any recommendations if the 6230 is a good choice for me or should I look
further?

Bye
Marcel <no@spam.please> Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:56:37 +0200

More about : nokia 6230 good choice

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:42:34 AM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:06:06 +0200, Marcel <no@spam.please> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I consider buying the 6230 type, what I want to do with it is;
>
>-call (duh :)
>-SMS
>-use it as a 'modem' for my PDA, by using bluetooth between the 6230 phone
>and the PDA. My ISP supports GPRS access so I'd like to use that for
>sending/ receiving mail, news and stuff on my PDA.
>-occasionally take pictures and send them via MMS or transfer to my PDA.
>
>the pda is a Loox 610BT/WLAN with WM2003 by the way.
>
>Any recommendations if the 6230 is a good choice for me or should I look
>further?

4.44 firmware on this phone seems to give a lot of problems with pda -
gprs via bluetooth, phone either shuts down & reboots or just drop the
connection to gprs. I would wait to check that the new firmware 5.14
resolves this otherwise I think you might be disappointed. It has been
suggested that nokia are aware of the problem but won't acknowledge
it, allegedly.
--
Kraggash

Infamy, infamy .......
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 1:46:10 AM

"Kraggash" <mungmoney.mungpit@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:06:06 +0200, Marcel <no@spam.please> wrote:
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>I consider buying the 6230 type, what I want to do with it is;
>>
>>-call (duh :)
>>-SMS
>>-use it as a 'modem' for my PDA, by using bluetooth between the 6230 phone
>>and the PDA. My ISP supports GPRS access so I'd like to use that for
>>sending/ receiving mail, news and stuff on my PDA.
>>-occasionally take pictures and send them via MMS or transfer to my PDA.
>>
>>the pda is a Loox 610BT/WLAN with WM2003 by the way.
>>
>>Any recommendations if the 6230 is a good choice for me or should I look
>>further?
>>

> 4.44 firmware on this phone seems to give a lot of problems with pda -
> gprs via bluetooth, phone either shuts down & reboots or just drop the
> connection to gprs. I would wait to check that the new firmware 5.14
> resolves this otherwise I think you might be disappointed. It has been
> suggested that nokia are aware of the problem but won't acknowledge
> it, allegedly.
> --
> Kraggash
>
> Infamy, infamy .......

How do you upgrade the firmware, and where do you get it?

Thanx
January 6, 2005 1:52:02 AM

snip

>How do you upgrade the firmware, and where do you get it?
>
>Thanx

a club nokia service centre, free under warranty.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:01:23 PM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:42:34 +0000, Kraggash
<mungmoney.mungpit@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:06:06 +0200, Marcel <no@spam.please> wrote:
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>I consider buying the 6230 type, what I want to do with it is;
>>
>>-call (duh :)
>>-SMS
>>-use it as a 'modem' for my PDA, by using bluetooth between the 6230 phone
>>and the PDA. My ISP supports GPRS access so I'd like to use that for
>>sending/ receiving mail, news and stuff on my PDA.
>>-occasionally take pictures and send them via MMS or transfer to my PDA.
>>
>>the pda is a Loox 610BT/WLAN with WM2003 by the way.
>>
>>Any recommendations if the 6230 is a good choice for me or should I look
>>further?
>>

>4.44 firmware on this phone seems to give a lot of problems with pda -
>gprs via bluetooth, phone either shuts down & reboots or just drop the
>connection to gprs. I would wait to check that the new firmware 5.14
>resolves this otherwise I think you might be disappointed.

I wonder if v5.24 does fix these problems?

If anyone out there has this release, could they confirm that a GPRS
connection via Bluetooth will stay connected for more than just a few
minutes?

Chris
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:04:17 PM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005, at 21:42:34 [GMT +0000] (08:42:34 Thursday, 6 January
2005 where I live) "Kraggash" wrote:

> I would wait to check that the new firmware 5.14

I think you mean 5.24?

--
Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get.
Anonymous

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:01:23 +0000, Chris Blunt
<chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:42:34 +0000, Kraggash
><mungmoney.mungpit@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:06:06 +0200, Marcel <no@spam.please> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>I consider buying the 6230 type, what I want to do with it is;
>>>
>>>-call (duh :)
>>>-SMS
>>>-use it as a 'modem' for my PDA, by using bluetooth between the 6230 phone
>>>and the PDA. My ISP supports GPRS access so I'd like to use that for
>>>sending/ receiving mail, news and stuff on my PDA.
>>>-occasionally take pictures and send them via MMS or transfer to my PDA.
>>>
>>>the pda is a Loox 610BT/WLAN with WM2003 by the way.
>>>
>>>Any recommendations if the 6230 is a good choice for me or should I look
>>>further?
>>>

>>4.44 firmware on this phone seems to give a lot of problems with pda -
>>gprs via bluetooth, phone either shuts down & reboots or just drop the
>>connection to gprs. I would wait to check that the new firmware 5.14
>>resolves this otherwise I think you might be disappointed.
>
>I wonder if v5.24 does fix these problems?
>
>If anyone out there has this release, could they confirm that a GPRS
>connection via Bluetooth will stay connected for more than just a few
>minutes?
>
>Chris

Nokia uk are still using 4.44 (as of yesterday)
The service centre also denied it was an issue 'we've never heard of
it'

--
Kraggash

Infamy, infamy .......
January 7, 2005 1:28:20 AM

Reply to message from Chris Blunt <chris_blunt@despammed.com> (Thu, 06
Jan 2005 13:01:23) about "Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":

CB> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:42:34 +
CB> 0000, Kraggash <mungmoney. mungpit@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:06:06 +0200, Marcel <no@spam.please> wrote:

>>> Hello All,

>>> I consider buying the 6230 type, what I want to do with it is;

>>> -call (duh :)
>>> -SMS
>>> -use it as a 'modem' for my PDA, by using bluetooth between the
>>> 6230 phone and the PDA. My ISP supports GPRS access so I'd like to
>>> use that for sending/ receiving mail, news and stuff on my PDA.
>>> -occasionally take pictures and send them via MMS or transfer to my
>>> PDA.

>>> the pda is a Loox 610BT/WLAN with WM2003 by the way.

>>> Any recommendations if the 6230 is a good choice for me or should I
>>> look further?

>> 4.44 firmware on this phone seems to give a lot of problems with
>> pda - gprs via bluetooth, phone either shuts down
>> & reboots or just drop the connection to gprs. I would wait to check
>> that the new firmware 5.14 resolves this otherwise I think you might
>> be disappointed.

CB> I wonder if v5.24 does fix these problems?

CB> If anyone out there has this release, could they confirm that a
CB> GPRS connection via Bluetooth will stay connected for more than
CB> just a few minutes?

CB> Chris

Thanks for your comments so far, instead of buying a 6230 I better look
further. Too bad though, it seemed like what I wanted to have.

Bye
Marcel <no@spam.please> Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:25:50 +0200

January 7, 2005 12:54:12 PM

Reply to message from Kraggash <mungmoney.mungpit@ntlworld.com> (Thu, 06
Jan 2005 23:33:44) about "Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":

K> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:01:23 +0000, Chris Blunt <chris_
K> blunt@despammed. com> wrote:

>> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:42:34 +0000, Kraggash <mungmoney.
>> mungpit@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> 4.44 firmware on this phone seems to give a lot of problems with
>>> pda - gprs via bluetooth, phone either shuts down & reboots or just
>>> drop the connection to gprs. I would wait to check that the new
>>> firmware 5.14 resolves this otherwise I think you might be
>>> disappointed.

>> I wonder if v5.24 does fix these problems?

>> If anyone out there has this release, could they confirm that a GPRS
>> connection via Bluetooth will stay connected for more than just a
>> few minutes?

>> Chris

K> Nokia uk are still using 4.44 (as of yesterday) The service centre
K> also denied it was an issue 'we've never heard of it'

K> --
K> Kraggash

K> Infamy, infamy .......

This really is of much help (and warning), thank you all. It seems like
I want something that isn't commercially interesting yet to pay
attention to by nokia or the telco operators. All information the shops
here can give me is about monthly fee's, how many ringtones the phones
can handle, that I can send MMS, buy a headset, how many hours the phone
can be on standby and stuff. But I can get that info from www.nokia.com
myself. So far not even one(!) telco shop could assure me using the
phone as a gprs modem for my pda is possible with any type or brand
phone, they all said "probably but never seen it". They don't know a
thing about it it seems but were still trying to sell it to me! And a
request to take a phone out of the box, put my sim with gprs membership
in it and see if we can get the theory to work (if it does I'll take it)
was denied because they only have those fake plastic showmodels so you
can play with the keys.

Now one of my colleagues here appears to have a 6230 since this week *
fake friendly smile*, so far she uses it only to call and take pictures
but maybe I can get her to swap the sim so I can test if the BT & GPRS
thingy works. Anyone knows how I can see the software version on that
phone?

Bye
Marcel <no@spam.please> Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:12:29 +0200

January 7, 2005 5:51:41 PM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:33:44 +0000, Kraggash
<mungmoney.mungpit@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:01:23 +0000, Chris Blunt
><chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:42:34 +0000, Kraggash
>><mungmoney.mungpit@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>4.44 firmware on this phone seems to give a lot of problems with pda -
>>>gprs via bluetooth, phone either shuts down & reboots or just drop the
>>>connection to gprs. I would wait to check that the new firmware 5.14
>>>resolves this otherwise I think you might be disappointed.
>>
>>I wonder if v5.24 does fix these problems?
>>
>>If anyone out there has this release, could they confirm that a GPRS
>>connection via Bluetooth will stay connected for more than just a few
>>minutes?
>>
>>Chris
>
>Nokia uk are still using 4.44 (as of yesterday)
>The service centre also denied it was an issue 'we've never heard of
>it'

At least now that you've made them aware of the problem they can't
claim they've never heard about it any more. Or will they?

Chris
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:51:42 PM

*#0000#

Please post the result here if you can persuade your friend to let you
test it.

I never had this problem when using v3.15 firmware. Its only since I
started using a 6230 with v4.43 that its happened.

Chris
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:06:19 PM

*#0000# (star hash zero zero zero zero hash)

--
Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.
Anonymous

>>>I wonder if v5.24 does fix these problems?
>>>
>>>If anyone out there has this release, could they confirm that a GPRS
>>>connection via Bluetooth will stay connected for more than just a few
>>>minutes?
>>>
>>>Chris
>>
>>Nokia uk are still using 4.44 (as of yesterday)
>>The service centre also denied it was an issue 'we've never heard of
>>it'
>
>At least now that you've made them aware of the problem they can't
>claim they've never heard about it any more. Or will they?

I bet they will, they claimed never to look at any websites but
nokias!

--
Kraggash

Infamy, infamy .......
January 11, 2005 1:02:16 PM

Reply to message from Chris Blunt <chris_blunt@despammed.com> (Fri, 07
Jan 2005 16:51:42) about "Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":

CB> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:54:12 +0200, Marcel <no@spam.please> wrote:

>> Reply to message from Kraggash <mungmoney.mungpit@ntlworld.com>
>> (Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:33:44) about "Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":

>> K> Nokia uk are still using 4.44 (as of yesterday) The service
>> centre K> also denied it was an issue 'we've never heard of it'

>> K> --
>> K> Kraggash

>> K> Infamy, infamy .......

>> This really is of much help (and warning), thank you all. It seems
>> like I want something that isn't commercially interesting yet to pay
>> attention to by nokia or the telco operators. All information the
>> shops here can give me is about monthly fee's, how many ringtones
>> the phones can handle, that I can send MMS, buy a headset, how many
>> hours the phone can be on standby and stuff. But I can get that info
>> from www.nokia.com myself. So far not even one(!) telco shop could
>> assure me using the phone as a gprs modem for my pda is possible
>> with any type or brand phone, they all said "probably but never seen
>> it". They don't know a thing about it it seems but were still trying
>> to sell it to me! And a request to take a phone out of the box, put
>> my sim with gprs membership in it and see if we can get the theory
>> to work (if it does I'll take it) was denied because they only have
>> those fake plastic showmodels so you can play with the keys.

>> Now one of my colleagues here appears to have a 6230 since this
>> week * fake friendly smile*, so far she uses it only to call and
>> take pictures but maybe I can get her to swap the sim so I can test
>> if the BT & GPRS thingy works. Anyone knows how I can see the
>> software version on that phone?

CB> *#0000#

CB> Please post the result here if you can persuade your friend to let
CB> you test it.

CB> I never had this problem when using v3.15 firmware. Its only since
CB> I started using a 6230 with v4.43 that its happened.

CB> Chris

And the outcome of that 6230 is:

v04.28,
24-06-04
RH-12
GSM p1.1

That doesn't sound too new to me? The pda was able to bond with the
phone and connect to the serial port listed in services. Unfortunately
her 6230 is blocked for other (mine) providers so I couldn't test
further on the gprs connection while using my sim. :-(

Bye
Marcel <no@spam.please> Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:17:01 +0200

January 11, 2005 11:15:21 PM

Goto www.unlockme.co.uk and calculate the unlock code for free.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

I have tree Nokia 6230 in my company (one of then mine), and all 3 work
just 2 minutes in the gprs with bluetooth! The firmware is 4.28
Another problem is that I can't transfer file with more then 2,5Mb, the
bluetooh conection is lost and the transfer is aborted.
Anyone knows if the 5.24 solve these problems?? In the nokia tecnical
center they say that the nokia server is busy, and they try but can´t
download the firmware!! Ahh... The don't confirm too that this problem
exist!... I´m the first person to complain!...
I´m very curious to know if 5.24 solve these problems.
Someone use 1Gb MMC card? It works?
Thanks
Rodrigo

--
Rodrigo Murta de Andrade
January 14, 2005 7:04:54 PM

I have the same problem between my nokia 6230 and notebook Dell D505.
The gprs connection via bluetooth drop after about 2 minutes.
The same thing happen via IRDA connection.....
The version of 6230 is 4.44

January 14, 2005 8:10:05 PM

Reply to message from Rodrigo Murta de Andrade <Rodrigo.Murta.de.
Andrade.1is08b@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> (Thu, 13 Jan 2005 04:38:24) about
"Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":

RM> I have tree Nokia 6230 in my company (one of then mine), and all 3
RM> work just
RM> 2 minutes in the gprs with bluetooth! The firmware is 4.28 Another
RM> problem is that I can't transfer file with more then 2,5Mb, the
RM> bluetooh conection is lost and the transfer is aborted. Anyone
RM> knows if the 5.24 solve these problems?? In the nokia tecnical
RM> center they say that the nokia server is busy, and they try but
RM> can´t download the firmware!! Ahh... The don't confirm too that
RM> this problem exist!... I´m the first person to complain!...
RM> I´m very curious to know if 5.24 solve these problems. Someone use
RM> 1Gb MMC card? It works? Thanks Rodrigo

Okay so with v4.28 the problem already exists, thanks for the warning.
Would a downgrade to version v3.15 be possible and solve the problem? I
spoke to another colleague yesterday and he claims to be able to use the
GPRS and bluetooth for longer with v3.15. He uses a Palm Tungsten 2,
don't know if that makes a difference though.

Bye
Marcel <no@spam.please> Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:18:52 +0200

January 15, 2005 1:26:40 PM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:10:05 +0200, Marcel <no@spam.please> wrote:

>Reply to message from Rodrigo Murta de Andrade <Rodrigo.Murta.de.
>Andrade.1is08b@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> (Thu, 13 Jan 2005 04:38:24) about
>"Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":
>

> RM> I have tree Nokia 6230 in my company (one of then mine), and all 3
> RM> work just
> RM> 2 minutes in the gprs with bluetooth! The firmware is 4.28 Another
> RM> problem is that I can't transfer file with more then 2,5Mb, the
> RM> bluetooh conection is lost and the transfer is aborted. Anyone
> RM> knows if the 5.24 solve these problems?? In the nokia tecnical
> RM> center they say that the nokia server is busy, and they try but
> RM> can??t download the firmware!! Ahh... The don't confirm too that
> RM> this problem exist!... I??m the first person to complain!...
> RM> I??m very curious to know if 5.24 solve these problems. Someone use
> RM> 1Gb MMC card? It works? Thanks Rodrigo
>
>Okay so with v4.28 the problem already exists, thanks for the warning.
>Would a downgrade to version v3.15 be possible and solve the problem? I
>spoke to another colleague yesterday and he claims to be able to use the
>GPRS and bluetooth for longer with v3.15. He uses a Palm Tungsten 2,
>don't know if that makes a difference though.

It used to work fine for me also when I had a phone with v3.15
firmware. The one I have now with v4.43 has the problem.

Chris
January 15, 2005 1:26:41 PM

Reply to message from Chris Blunt <chris_blunt@despammed.com> (Sat, 15
Jan 2005 04:26:40) about "Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":

CB> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:10:05 +0200, Marcel <no@spam.please> wrote:

>> Reply to message from Rodrigo Murta de Andrade <Rodrigo.Murta.de.
>> Andrade.1is08b@WiFi-Forum_dot_ com> (Thu, 13 Jan 2005 04:38:24)
>> about "Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":

>> RM> I have tree Nokia 6230 in my company (one of then mine), and all
>> 3 RM> work just
>> RM> 2 minutes in the gprs with bluetooth! The firmware is 4.28
>> Another RM> problem is that I can't transfer file with more then 2,
>> 5Mb, the RM> bluetooh conection is lost and the transfer is aborted.
>> Anyone RM> knows if the 5.24 solve these problems?? In the nokia
>> tecnical RM> center they say that the nokia server is busy, and they
>> try but RM> can??t download the firmware!! Ahh... The don't confirm
>> too that RM> this problem exist!... I??m the first person to
>> complain!...
>> RM> I??m very curious to know if 5.24 solve these problems. Someone
>> use RM> 1Gb MMC card? It works? Thanks Rodrigo

>> Okay so with v4.28 the problem already exists, thanks for the
>> warning. Would a downgrade to version v3.15 be possible and solve
>> the problem? I spoke to another colleague yesterday and he claims to
>> be able to use the GPRS and bluetooth for longer with v3.15. He uses
>> a Palm Tungsten 2, don't know if that makes a difference though.

CB> It used to work fine for me also when I had a phone with v3.15
CB> firmware. The one I have now with v4.43 has the problem.

CB> Chris

So the big question is, where can you do a downgrade to v3.15 to get
gprs stable, and what are the disadvantages?

Bye
Marcel <no@spam.please> Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:03:42 +0200

January 19, 2005 4:57:06 AM

Marcel wrote:

> So the big question is, where can you do a downgrade to v3.15

Not at an official Nokia service point. Perhaps there are unlockers who
have DCT4 flashing soft- and hardware?

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
January 20, 2005 4:33:50 AM

I´ve take de 5.24 firmwere in http://www.iphone-forum.org/ and then
'*Nokia software/firmware*'
(http://www.iphone-forum.org/viewforum.php?f=33)

Yes, you have to post 20 messenges to join the download area.
After that you will find 16 files of 6 Mb to download.
You can´t do the atualization by your own computer, you have to ask to
nokia to do that.

Pay atention, I have made it because my nokia tecnical center didn´t
have the atualization!!... I have to recond in an CD and send with the
cell phone.
To see your version, type *#0000# in your nokia

After that, my file transfer by bluetooth works ok!!!! I have send one
file with 12MB. (You can do that just if you past the file direct in
the MMC card, if you try to do that direct (by bluetooth option) it
will not work due to de 7MB internal memory limit).

I´ll try to use the GPRS connection by bluetooth, to see if it realy
works...
Thanks!

--
Rodrigo Murta de Andrade
January 20, 2005 7:33:16 PM

Reply to message from Johan Wevers <johanw@xs4all.nl> (Wed, 19 Jan 2005
02:57:06) about "Re: Nokia 6230, good choice?":

JW> Marcel wrote:

>> So the big question is, where can you do a downgrade to v3.15

JW> Not at an official Nokia service point. Perhaps there are unlockers
JW> who have DCT4 flashing soft- and hardware?

Okay, guess I won't get myself a Nokia 6230 then. Too bad.

Bye
Marcel <nono@spam.please> Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:11:05 +0200