I think my AsRock z77 Extreme4 is not working, need help

Gillfreex

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012
Hi my new build is not complete yet, I have the PSU, the RAM, the mobo, and the case. (all brand new)

This is it so far:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Corsair TX650 80+ Bronze
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)
RaidMax Quantum

I have fitted the mobo, RAM and PSU. But since this is my first build I am not really too sure how to fit the PSU to the mobo and make it work.
I have tried fitting it all together but nothing happened.
I thought this was down to my PSU so I ran a test on it to see it if worked and it worked fine, so I'm thinking that it is my mobo because none of the LEDs are coming on, none of the fans are spinning and there is no power in anything whatsoever.
Also because I haven't really got that much of an idea where all the cables plug into I have only plugged in the 24-pin connector, but the mobo just won't do anything.
I would really like a tutorial of how to plug it all in, and how to find out if it is indeed my mobo because then I can think of sending it back.
All of my parts are brand new and were sealed until I opened them, so it may be a faulty mobo, but I was just gonna post this first to find out if there is anything I can do to test it and if I have all the wires correctly plugged in.

Thanks

Gillfreex

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
1.Make sure the 24 pin molex connector is connected to the board.

2.Also make sure the extra 12v 6 or eight pin molex is connected to the board it should be located next to the Cpu socket.

3.If you have a graphics card in the pci-e slot of the mother board depending on the it may require you to plug in an extra 12v to feed the card the block should have printing on it saying Pci-e.
4.Next you want to connect all of the Sata power cables to your hard disk drives, and your Dvd drives, and make sure the Sata data cables are connected from them to the mother board.
5.Have a good look at how the memory Should sit in the four memory slots, it is usally set up as A1, dimm B1 dimm, so it can run in dual channel mode. If you get it wrong it may not boot.

g-unit1111

Titan
Also because I haven't really got that much of an idea where all the cables plug into I have only plugged in the 24-pin connector, but the mobo just won't do anything.

Plug in *ALL* cables - the 24 pin power connector and the 8 pin voltage connector need to be plugged in before the system will turn on. You also have to hook the tiny case wires up to your motherboard before the system will turn on.

Also make sure your motherboard is properly secured to the brass standoffs (i.e. not touching anything that will ground it out.

This may sound silly, but make sure the On/Off switch on the PSU is On and the voltage selector is correct for your area :)

Gillfreex

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012

I tried, but I'm not sure that I've got the RESET SW, HDD LED, POWER SW AND POWER LEDs in the right place :(

Gillfreex

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012

Well I have tried all of those and it's still not doing anything, but when I do the paperclip and case fan test the PSU starts up, and the fan goes, but then when I plug it into the 24-pin connector it doesn't do anything, the fan in the PSU doesn't even spin :'(

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I'm guessing that's what is causing the problem right there. There's a guide in your manual that will tell you how to set that up exactly.

Gillfreex

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012

Cheers, I will look closer this time :p