Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Photographer need help with mobo choices

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 30, 2012 4:24:55 PM

I got an i5 3570k for a great price and am still pondering form factor and mobo.

I don't game - at all. I surf the web and edit photos with lightroom and photoshop. i take all of my photos in canon raw format. i will probably do some video editing as well. I'd like to get into overclocking so would like some options.

I will probably get a micro atx over an itx mobo since it opens up more options although i do like the size of an itx better. looking to spend around $150 for a mobo.

since i don't game and don't need to o/c the crap out of it, i would love some help in picking components that are not overkill. i'd like 16gig ram and not sure if i even need a gpu?

thanks for any and all help.





November 30, 2012 4:39:10 PM

Quote:
I will probably get a micro atx over an itx mobo since it opens up more options although i do like the size of an itx better. looking to spend around $150 for a mobo.


Any reason why you want micro ATX? Why not just get a full ATX?

Quote:
since i don't game and don't need to o/c the crap out of it, i would love some help in picking components that are not overkill. i'd like 16gig ram and not sure if i even need a gpu?


You probably will need a GPU for heavy redraws but you can get a low end GTX card or maybe even something like a Fire Pro for your uses.
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 4:43:30 PM

Quote:
Any reason why you want micro ATX? Why not just get a full ATX?


Size is the biggest reason. Full ATX cases are massive. I currently have a matx and would love to go even smaller but i don't think that's a good idea... Eventually in a few years, this build will retire as a htpc so i wouldn't want a huge honking case in the middle of my entertainment center.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 5:02:29 PM

jonnyk9 said:
Quote:
Any reason why you want micro ATX? Why not just get a full ATX?


Size is the biggest reason. Full ATX cases are massive. I currently have a matx and would love to go even smaller but i don't think that's a good idea... Eventually in a few years, this build will retire as a htpc so i wouldn't want a huge honking case in the middle of my entertainment center.


OK that makes sense. Maybe try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then for a low end GPU maybe something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 5:24:26 PM

I use the ASRock Extreme 4M in my builds and its great. For a gpu, you want to go with Nvidia so you get CUDA gpgpu acceleration. I would go with a 5 series as it is faster at acceleration than the 6 series. ECS has a 560 for only $107 at newegg.com. You could also pick up a used 460gtx (its is based on Fermi architecture too) on eBay for cheap. I use a 570gtx for Adobe gpgpu acceleration and its very fast, but it would set you back 225 bucks.
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 5:33:09 PM

I read this about the ASRock Extreme 4M on another forum: Gigabyte and Asus ( and possibly Intel) use full digital VRM on certain models. AsRock still markets "Digi" but is using analog for Z77 along with nearly everyone else. Analog is slightly faster adapting to voltage changes but worse at fine tuning. Digital offers the best user controls and fine regulation. New tech vs old tech. While the old tech can certainly get the job done the new tech does it with less phases.

Should that really be a concern for me?

I looked at the GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H and G1.Sniper M3 (currently cheaper than the GA-Z77MX-D3H with $15 mir). I'm in Canada and the free RAM from newegg doesn't apply. I wasn't really sure of the differences other than the Sniper looks almost the same but maybe more of a gamers board.

Thanks!
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 6:21:05 PM

jonnyk9 said:
I read this about the ASRock Extreme 4M on another forum: Gigabyte and Asus ( and possibly Intel) use full digital VRM on certain models. AsRock still markets "Digi" but is using analog for Z77 along with nearly everyone else. Analog is slightly faster adapting to voltage changes but worse at fine tuning. Digital offers the best user controls and fine regulation. New tech vs old tech. While the old tech can certainly get the job done the new tech does it with less phases.

Should that really be a concern for me?


That's only a concern if you're going to do some major overclocking. If you're not going to this won't apply to you.

Quote:
I looked at the GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H and G1.Sniper M3 (currently cheaper than the GA-Z77MX-D3H with $15 mir). I'm in Canada and the free RAM from newegg doesn't apply. I wasn't really sure of the differences other than the Sniper looks almost the same but maybe more of a gamers board.


The Sniper is certainly more gaming friendly but that doesn't mean that a system built around it can't run Photoshop. Gaming builds can handle professional work applications, but professional builds (Intel Xeon, Fire Pro, Quaddro) can't handle games.
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 11:08:19 AM

if you don't plan to OC go for a B75 mATX mobo like AsRock B75 pro3-m or something along those lines (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI have those aswell). These mobo's cost 60-70$ and their stability/performance is on par with Z77 mobo's for half the cost. Add an nVidia GPU for a 100$ and your good to go.

Good luck!
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 12:29:22 PM

I will probably overclock it. at least i would like to have the option. not gonna try and break any records but that's why i'm sticking with a micro atx.

anyone got suggestions for a itx mobo?

m
0
l
December 1, 2012 2:02:37 PM

ASRock Z77E-ITX it goes for 150$ and got good reviews. it would allow OC. keep in mind though that ITX boards usually have 2 RAM slots so 16GB is max. BitFenix Prodigy is a great case for ITX format.
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 6:02:38 PM

slatanek said:
if you don't plan to OC go for a B75 mATX mobo like AsRock B75 pro3-m or something along those lines (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI have those aswell). These mobo's cost 60-70$ and their stability/performance is on par with Z77 mobo's for half the cost. Add an nVidia GPU for a 100$ and your good to go.

Good luck!


The problem is that B75 is incredibly limiting in terms of what kind of hardware you can add.

Quote:
ASRock Z77E-ITX it goes for 150$ and got good reviews. it would allow OC. keep in mind though that ITX boards usually have 2 RAM slots so 16GB is max. BitFenix Prodigy is a great case for ITX format.


Asrock does make good boards but what reviews are you basing that off of? Newegg reviews are baseless, better to look elsewhere for product advice.
m
0
l
!