Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Latest DirectX Firmware?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 24, 2012 5:01:59 PM

Hi all :hello: 

What is the latest version of DirectX 11 (in writing moment 24-2-2012), in my case for Windows 7 PRO 64?
Where is the most simple place to search and download it from?

Feeling like an idiot to type this in Toms but have searched both in Google and Microsoft Download Center and have got so many hits that its just confusing me. When searching for the 11 edition of it I got hits like "DirectX 11 made 2010 but released 2011", "Developer edition", "Modern Texture Pipelines" and so on - but I cant eider find something like DirectX 2012 nor (ex: DirectX 11.1.2) etc. What is the adress to the company that makes it? Tried with www.directx.com but end up on a strange page that does not link to any downloads. Can imagen several other users that feels as confused as me.
Please HELP us lazy brothers and sisters ;) 

Please feel free to type in answers for other kind of Windows thats related with the Win 7!
This thread is also thought to be a place that people in the coming future can post newer and more up to date info and answers on, to try to collect 100 similar threads into 1 big one, and save Toms servers from melting down by a billion hits of "DirectX".
Big thoughts... :sarcastic: 
February 24, 2012 5:17:45 PM

Why are you worrying about DirectX?
No one worrys about it for like 7 years now. (since Vista) I don't think it's updated much. I don't remember any Windows updates about it.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 5:27:18 PM

First off, DX 11 is a driver.

Second off - you do not want a "developer" version of Direct x - as those are used to help develop games that require it.

Windows 7 already comes with DX 11.

Are you having problems with DX 11? If not don't worry about it.
Score
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 5:44:11 PM

^ This.

Direct X 11 is built into Windows 7. If there are updates for it they come in the form of normal Windows updates.

That's why there are not 100s of threads on this very topic. ;) 
Score
February 24, 2012 5:44:44 PM

KonstantinDK said:
Why are you worrying about DirectX?
No one worrys about it for like 7 years now. (since Vista) I don't think it's updated much. I don't remember any Windows updates about it.

Well, DirectX is (as I have learned the latest 10 years or so) one of the biggest and most important motor/engine for graphics behavior and evolution concerning games and related graphic usage. Take 3D Mark 11 for example - its built to test DirectX 11 edition, without it I suppose you cant run that and similar benchmarks created for DX11 at all. Every big game you buy is made to take the full advantage of the latest DX edition thats new for the moment you get it, at least for PC games. DX is also a important tool for other components like sound and other things (between the screen, speakers and PC) and the user. Thats why it always comes new editions of it - to cope with games evolving.
Score
February 24, 2012 5:50:11 PM

anort3 said:
^ This.

Direct X 11 is built into Windows 7. If there are updates for it they come in the form of normal Windows updates.

That's why there are not 100s of threads on this very topic. ;) 

No, Microsoft and Windows does not always shows and find the newest versions, thats a fact Ive learned the hard way.
And whats the point to call it a driver or firmware when you mean the same thing...? Talking about a point, the very point is that I DONT want those developer editions and other "crap" thats not shows the download I am searching for, if you read what I wrote!
Of couse I have the "latest" DX after installing my new PC in Januari and got updates, but its time to program an update when you think of that this edition was wroten in 2010.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 5:55:17 PM

DarthTengil said:
No, Microsoft and Windows does not always shows and find the newest versions, thats a fact Ive learned the hard way.
And whats the point to call it a driver or firmware when you mean the same thing...?

Driver and firmware are NOT the same thing. I suggust you look up technical terms.

Again, are you having problems with DX 11?

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/know_differen...

Read that. Both pages.

I would consider reading a bunch of harware sites (read the motherboard reviews, CPU reviews, anything you can get a hold of) - which is what I did to understand the components and software and drivers and firmwares.
Score
February 24, 2012 6:11:20 PM

Thanks for answers but you dont really read what I wrote, Windows Update and Download Center is CRAP, so are many of the computer components manufactors webpage when it goes to having up to date downloads. When you search you very often got hits like "DX 9" and older stuff. Have not problems with my edition but as I wrote - its made in 2010!
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 6:18:36 PM

You are the one who does not understand. You are looking for something that does not exist.

If you want an update to DX 11 you need to upgrade to Windows 8. It has DX 11.1

Find an update history. As I said above the updates are included in normal Windows updates. The last one was with SP1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_11#DirectX_11
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 6:22:11 PM

DarthTengil said:
Thanks for answers but you dont really read what I wrote, Windows Update and Download Center is CRAP, so are many of the computer components manufactors webpage when it goes to having up to date downloads. When you search you very often got hits like "DX 9" and older stuff. Have not problems with my edition but as I wrote - its made in 2010!

You want the latest one?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=81...

Download it from there.

Really though - there should be no problems with your DX11 even an "older version"- unless your having specific issues.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 6:33:46 PM

Chainzsaw said:
You want the latest one?

Download it from there.

Really though - there should be no problems with your DX11 even an "older version"- unless your having specific issues.

That's not an update for Windows 7 it's the redistributable version for devs.

" This download provides the DirectX end-user multi-languaged redistributable that developers can include with their product. "
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 6:38:29 PM

anort3 said:
That's not an update for Windows 7 it's the redistributable version for devs.

" This download provides the DirectX end-user multi-languaged redistributable that developers can include with their product. "

No, read this "This download provides the DirectX end-user redistributable ". It means developers can include that DIRECT X Package with their DVD's/CD's/Game downloads. It does not mean it's a developer version.

Your thinking of the SDK version (SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT).

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10...

Which is over 500MB in size. Do you get the difference now? I was correct, you are incorrect.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 6:50:56 PM

Chainzsaw said:
No, read this "This download provides the DirectX end-user redistributable ". It means developers can include that DIRECT X Package with their DVD's/CD's/Game downloads. It does not mean it's a developer version.

Your thinking of the SDK version (SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT).

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10...

Which is over 500MB in size. Do you get the difference now? I was correct, you are incorrect.

No I did not say or mean it was the SDK version. I meant exactly what I said, that is the redistributable version. It is not an update for people running Windows 7. What the OP is asking for does not exist and has not been something to worry about since the Windows 95-98 days.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 7:03:21 PM

anort3 said:
No I did not say or mean it was the SDK version. I meant exactly what I said, that is the redistributable version. It is not an update for people running Windows 7. What the OP is asking for does not exist and has not been something to worry about since the Windows 95-98 days.

"That's not an update for Windows 7 it's the redistributable version for devs. "

It is an update if you don't have the latest patches and downloads from MS. So your still wrong.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displ...

This is the web DX installer - it is also the same version as I listed.

But why are you trying to argue with me? I am still correct.

Oh well, i'm done on this thread - no point in argueing with people who don't know what they are talking about (the OP).
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 7:14:20 PM

LOL at OP

Classic.. Ask a question... get a correct answer... start arguing with the person who helped :pt1cable: 

OP... if you have Win7 and your MS update is working... you will get an update of MS wants to make one avail.
If they dont... its coz one is not avail. They dont look at their software and say "OMG.... we not updated since 2010... we must update"

probably just the opposite... they pat themselves on theback and say "well done guys - we got it so good in 2010 we have not needed to update"

So get real.... say thanks to the guy who helped you... and move on.
Cheers
Score
February 24, 2012 7:43:58 PM

Chainzsaw said:
You want the latest one?

Download it from there.

Thanks! It really DID update some parts of DX11 that was of an "older" version :) 
BUT: it still in big letters on top of the page clearly IS made in june 2010 :heink: 
You are also right in that this version is for Win 7 and other editions.
Anort3: Why did you dont simply say that the latest driver only is for Windows 8 in the first place, end of story? But thanks ;) 

Thank you all for answering my question! Was not my wish that it would end in angry arguing instead of just simply give me a quick and useful answer and keep it to the thread.

Thanks anyway to all that cares :sol: 
Score
February 24, 2012 7:44:42 PM

Best answer selected by DarthTengil.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 9:40:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!