Sign in with
Your question

PCIe 2.0 x16 Running my Gtx 650 at 2.5 GT/s

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2012 9:16:58 PM

Hey so i finnally got my gtx 650 with a 5000 mhz of memory clock but it keeps giving me 2500mhz, even hwinfo detects its on a 5.0 GT/s but its speed its reduced by Half.

any help?

ive reinstalled drivers both of MB and the GPU.

im using a P8H67-M PRO MB from Asus and wanted to know whats the problem.

its installed on the blue PCIe not on the black.

Please any Help will be thanked.
a c 295 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 8, 2012 3:22:22 AM

It may be in idle mode when you are reading the GHZ and GT/s. Run the benchmark in furmark and check the GHZ results on screen while it is running.
October 8, 2012 6:58:18 AM

clutchc said:
It may be in idle mode when you are reading the GHZ and GT/s. Run the benchmark in furmark and check the GHZ results on screen while it is running.

the only thing i have on idle is the Cpu with Speedstep technology active, i ran a Kombustor benchmark on the gpu its does not go over 2.5 even on Full Load.
It also shows 2.5 GT/s in Full Load while gaming.

ima test it later in furmark. but i doubt it will solve any gaming issues. Thanks
Related resources
October 8, 2012 11:17:25 AM

i have the p8h67-m pro Cm6650 DP-MB 1601 bios update.

could i update it with the drivers of asus p8h67-M pro? the serial of each update is completely different. ex: mine uses the 1601 but the other uses the 3601(i think).

thanks. furmark reported the same speed, im gettin desperate here. >.>''
a c 295 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 8, 2012 3:00:01 PM

You are aware that it has Double Data Rate memory and that 2500MHZ is 5GHZ effectively, right?
October 8, 2012 4:21:42 PM

clutchc said:
You are aware that it has Double Data Rate memory and that 2500MHZ is 5GHZ effectively, right?

how come on benchmarks and gaming does not show 5000mhz?

and i did not knew that, thats a relief actually thanks.
October 8, 2012 4:31:11 PM

"The actual clock speed of PCIe 2.0 is 2.5GHz, however transfers are DDR (Double Data Rate), which means they happen 2x per cycle. This makes the raw *transfer* rate 5GTps (Giga-Transfers per second). Since this would be the same transfer rate as if the bus were simply running at 5GHz and transferring only once per cycle (Single Data Rate), it has become common to simplify explanations of transfer speeds by simply quoting an *effective* clock rate, which for PCIe 2.0 would be 5GHz."

mmh, found it, and i actually was not aware of that. thats a new thing i learned. thanks clutchc
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 8, 2012 4:35:05 PM

From which game you see gpu memory speed?

Best sensor for gpu is GPU-Z soft.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

There will be actual speed in main tab and speed running at in sensor tab. Running speed will be differ for dynamic power saving.
October 8, 2012 5:41:10 PM

mubin said:
From which game you see gpu memory speed?

Best sensor for gpu is GPU-Z soft.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

There will be actual speed in main tab and speed running at in sensor tab. Running speed will be differ for dynamic power saving.

it.. it's alive!

it alternates between pcie 2.0 and 1.1. when i run a benchmark gpu-z says its on 2.0 but with still 2500mhz.
when im idle or gaming it says im 1.1 x16.. i dont even have one of those.. what a lol.

im sad again lol. either driver problems with this Motherboard, or its the MB itself. D:
a c 295 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 9, 2012 12:06:40 AM

dysavior said:
it.. it's alive!

it alternates between pcie 2.0 and 1.1. when i run a benchmark gpu-z says its on 2.0 but with still 2500mhz.
when im idle or gaming it says im 1.1 x16.. i dont even have one of those.. what a lol.

im sad again lol. either driver problems with this Motherboard, or its the MB itself. D:

That is normal. My GTX 570s show PCI-E 2.0 at first and then default to 1.1 speed when idle. Click on the "?" next to the Buss Interface window and run the render test. It should then read 2.0 when it is no longer idle. I do believe you are worrying over nothing.
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 9, 2012 2:58:11 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Motherboards & Memory to section Graphics & Displays by Proximon
October 9, 2012 8:35:59 AM

clutchc said:
That is normal. My GTX 570s show PCI-E 2.0 at first and then default to 1.1 speed when idle. Click on the "?" next to the Buss Interface window and run the render test. It should then read 2.0 when it is no longer idle. I do believe you are worrying over nothing.

Not an expert, yet but i didnt knew that since the actual gpu is inserted on pcie 2.0 x16. even tho its on idle mode, it shouldn't change slots. but that as my mistake it does not, it changes speed's right? thanks man for the help and even though im worryig over nothing its better than ignore the hardware "problems" (in this case none) and just ask. =)
a c 295 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 9, 2012 3:44:02 PM

dysavior said:
Not an expert, yet but i didnt knew that since the actual gpu is inserted on pcie 2.0 x16. even tho its on idle mode, it shouldn't change slots. but that as my mistake it does not, it changes speed's right? thanks man for the help and even though im worryig over nothing its better than ignore the hardware "problems" (in this case none) and just ask. =)

Absolutely right. It never hurts to ask.
!