Sign in with
Your question

Lag on a high end computer

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2012 8:47:04 PM

Hi everyone. half a year ago i built my own computer. it took me maybe 2 days to build it, and the first thing i did was to test it with battlefield 3.... it ripped it appart on ultra witch an constan 80-90 fps. after downloading some other games i found out something. none of them would run properly. its REALLY annpoying when your pc rig to a 1100$
dont want to play assassins creed 3 on low, or far cry 3, or darksiders 2, or sr3, or borderlands 2 etc etc. I have tried to get help from the website i buyed my pc from, but neither they found out anything.

until now i have tried *resseting, updating, and reinstalling all types off drivers
* always keeping my pc clean, deleting evrything on the computer
* updating all sorts of chipset stuff, bios from gigabytes website.
* over clocking (got a water cooling system) then turning it back to normal
* disabeling one of the graphicscards.

Nothing has worked yet, so if anyone can see a problem, please tell me.

All you need to know:
- cabinet - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Midi Tower
- powersuply 1stk - Corsair TX V2 650W PSU
- Prosessor 1stk - AMD FX-8120 8-Core Processor
- main card 1stk - Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, Socket-AM3+
- RAM 1stk - Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB KIT
- Graphics card 2stk - XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5
- SSD 1stk - Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB BK SATA3.0
- DVD 1stk - OEM DVD-RW

(if you need more info
please tell)

More about : lag high end computer

a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2012 10:15:28 PM

what's going on? is it getting micro stutters? That is standard with cfx and sli.
December 1, 2012 6:12:48 AM

No, it is lag overall. In some games like darksiders 2 disabeling one of the graphics cards would fix the problem. But this does not work on many other games. games like assassins creed 3 runs smooth until you get to e specific aria. Also a lot of games has this problem that it not lags, but if you look a special place the fps drop is extreme. Im so extremely confused...
Related resources
March 19, 2013 8:20:02 PM

I would tell you maybe try to defrag your pc or start cleaning out the junk using cc cleaner, and if that still dosen't work try to update your drivers
March 23, 2013 3:59:44 AM

TBH I don't really like radeon based cards they just don't work with me...apart from that did you take a nice look at the running processes there might be some that are just not needed. You might want to do some scans like @Ales Woo said. There may also be some issues with with CF/SLI support in some games simply because Nvidia or amd haven't fixed their drivers so they can support those games. But I really don't see any problems with your hardware.. try using this small program http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster it might help and if you see a big difference then it's probably because the programs that are running in the background.
March 25, 2013 1:31:03 PM

this is a shot in the dark but i think using a 7950 would be better than two 7850s because there can be some inconsistencies with crossfire/sli
March 26, 2013 2:23:41 PM

1-some games like far cry 3 and assasins creed 3 have major bugs that impact performance greatly no matter how powerfull your pc is .
2- the 7850 isnt a good choice for playing at high resolutions assuming ofcoarse your playing at 1080p , its natural to expect poor performance from a 7850 with games that are gpu intensive such as far cry 3 ,and that arent optimised for crossfire .
3- your cpu has such a low single thread performance that a 3rd generation i3 can outperform it in some games.
March 27, 2013 8:16:42 AM

Its the cpu.

That cpu is really poor, it compares to the lower end i5s
the only area where it exels is overclocking, and if you haven't touched it the single thread performance is really godawful.
honestly even the fx4100 which itself is similar but 4 core outdoes this processor.
I have had experience with this and i would say also look around the settings, maybe you just didn't disable some integrated graphics or maybe the ram isn't quite connected or something strange.

but mostly yes the processor is poor, especially for that gpu setup which at least wants high end i5 or low/med i7.
AMD don't even sell processors that can touch that gpu setup
March 27, 2013 9:51:58 AM

what kind of a internet connection do you have?
Wireless or Wired?
and if so what provider? and bundle.
May 20, 2013 9:25:27 AM

Wait, how BF3 running at 60-80 FPS, the 7970 couldn't even do that! Unless you are running at a different resolution with lower AA.
I would assume that the games you have downloaded are too much for your GPU.
May 21, 2013 6:33:32 AM

That's odd. It might be the crossfire because I have 1 7850 and it runs Far Cry 3 on max settings with no lag.
May 22, 2013 9:52:12 PM

It might be your processor. As said above a core i3 3210 or 3220 will outperform it regardless of the number of cores.
May 30, 2013 9:27:12 PM

I experienced a similar problem recently I have a 7970 and was getting terrible fps and it turned out my power supply didn't have enough wattage to support it and because your running a dual card setup I would recommend a higher wattage PSU. I switched to an 850W PSU and all of the problems were solved. That's my advice.
June 11, 2013 5:12:15 AM

It might be your RAM. How many sticks do you have? Only 1?
June 13, 2013 4:12:47 AM

dan000 said:
I experienced a similar problem recently I have a 7970 and was getting terrible fps and it turned out my power supply didn't have enough wattage to support it and because your running a dual card setup I would recommend a higher wattage PSU. I switched to an 850W PSU and all of the problems were solved. That's my advice.

he is right

June 13, 2013 6:54:23 AM

why don't you try a memtest86 just to rule out the ram cause what you describe can also be a ram problem
July 16, 2013 10:29:07 AM

minidoffa said:
Hi everyone. half a year ago i built my own computer. it took me maybe 2 days to build it, and the first thing i did was to test it with battlefield 3.... it ripped it appart on ultra witch an constan 80-90 fps. after downloading some other games i found out something. none of them would run properly. its REALLY annpoying when your pc rig to a 1100$
dont want to play assassins creed 3 on low, or far cry 3, or darksiders 2, or sr3, or borderlands 2 etc etc. I have tried to get help from the website i buyed my pc from, but neither they found out anything.

until now i have tried *resseting, updating, and reinstalling all types off drivers

All you need to know:
- DVD 1stk - OEM DVD-RW

(if you need more info
please tell)

games u listed are opimizec for intel cpu's and nvidia gpu's.... lol nice job on overpaying for parts though :) . not to mention the shit htat 2 amd cards give u in xfire
July 18, 2013 2:10:15 PM

I wouldn't call anything with a built in graphics card 'high end', but meh. Have you already installed a 64-bit JRE and increased the memory for minecraft to take advantage of those 8GB of ram? Google minecraft 64-bit and you'll find what you're looking for. If that doesn't help, the problem is with your memory card. You have no choice but to reduce some of the settings. Dynamic Lighting, render distance and fancy vs fast graphics options make the biggest difference, but you can remove other things like clouds to get a decent FPS boost.

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

July 19, 2013 6:10:10 AM

are you running in a 64bit os?and what os do you have?
July 19, 2013 7:24:48 AM

what's going on? is it getting micro stutters?
July 24, 2013 8:32:24 AM

Okay my friend, listen close to my advice:
1. Replace your dual AMD graphics cards with a single Nvidia gtx 780/770 (whichever one of those fits your budget)
2. Upgrade to 16GB of RAM (optional but gives you a monstrous boost)
3. Get a 850W PSU, or at least 750w. Your 8 cores of AMD metal need more power, otherwise you will have MAJOR lags.
July 30, 2013 9:55:37 AM

asado999 said:
1. Replace your dual AMD graphics cards with a single Nvidia gtx 780/770 (whichever one of those fits your budget)
3. Get a 850W PSU, or at least 750w. Your 8 cores of AMD metal need more power, otherwise you will have MAJOR lags.

Sounds good......... But 125 watts for the CPU and another ~450 for a 770.... I'd just grab a gold Rated or modualer 750 watt er
August 12, 2013 8:37:40 PM

get a higher watt psu lowest 750w but recomended 850w+
August 14, 2013 8:00:13 AM

Driver sweep your AMD drivers and reinstall them.
I've experience this before. AMD drivers can be quite troublesome at times.
Or yeah, maybe it is your PSU.
August 15, 2013 9:26:37 AM

Your running two graphics cards? with a 650watt PSU. I would bet money that its your PSU and definitely look into getting some more rams. 1 stick of 8 gigs is pretty iffy. If your looking for some cheap decent ram the corsair veangence kits are pretty nice. But try removing 1 of your graphics cards and see how it runs then. I had the same problem i was running an i7 3820, 2 6970s, and everything else and my coumputers was getting really bogged down and then i threw in a 1000 watt and it runs better than ever.
September 3, 2013 1:23:07 PM

Colin Sivak said:
Wait, how BF3 running at 60-80 FPS, the 7970 couldn't even do that! Unless you are running at a different resolution with lower AA.

7970 couldn't do that? I have a 7850 and a horrid AMD A8 5500K CPU and I rip through BF3 ultra with about 60-70 fps? Something is wrong with your PC if you're using a 7970 and can't get 60fps on BF3.
September 5, 2013 7:12:55 AM

jcup said:
Colin Sivak said:

7970 couldn't do that? I have a 7850 and a horrid AMD A8 5500K CPU and I rip through BF3 ultra with about 60-70 fps? Something is wrong with your PC if you're using a 7970 and can't get 60fps on BF3.

Then you lowered your settings. BF3 hardly runs @ 100 fps on a 7990 at max'ed settings @ 1920x1080

An apu!!!! are you kidding me?
September 5, 2013 3:34:43 PM

William Longstreet said:
jcup said:
Colin Sivak said:

Then you lowered your settings. BF3 hardly runs @ 100 fps on a 7990 at max'ed settings @ 1920x1080

Yes an APU? Your point is? and no, I didnt lower my settings I have them on ultra and I know what frames I get?
September 5, 2013 3:38:58 PM

William Longstreet said:
jcup said:
Colin Sivak said:

And maybe you should reread my post because I cleary said it was on ultra
December 6, 2013 3:08:35 AM

The output is very crappy or the games just crash on start?
Well, never seen such a problem. Never happened with me. :( 
Try removing any CD/DVD's from PC and remove any USB HDD's or Flash Drives and check for loose cables or too much CPU Usage.

Yes, the main reason can be a process eating up too much CPU. Open Task Manager and check for CPU Usage AFTER you run those games. Then if no such process found, open the resource monitor and try. Then check if your 3D Vision is enabled because it eats up GPU Memory. (3D Effects are toggled off) :D 

I am generally good on problems on Nvidia and Intel. No experience on AMD :( 

EDIT - Also try re-installing your OS. I re-install my OS every time there is a problem like this. :) 
December 9, 2013 4:50:53 PM

Are you sure that all your cores are running?
December 23, 2013 11:25:22 AM

Probably Driver issues try finding your Graphics card manufacturer and download the latest ones there :) 
December 23, 2013 10:00:06 PM

Might be the CPU that's bottle necking your system. Amd's Bulldozer CPUs have always sucked and always under-performed the processors they were meant to replace. Always try to avoid BullDozer CPUs at all costs. But if you can't change out the CPU try to keep the tasks running at the same time at the minimum.
December 25, 2013 2:34:12 PM

minidoffa said:

All you need to know:
- DVD 1stk - OEM DVD-RW

(if you need more info
please tell)

Ok so contrary to what some of these people are saying, none of your specific parts are "bad" your cpu is fine for gaming and your gpus are fine as well. (YOUR CPU IS NOT THE BOTTLENECK lol, despite what people are saying, you might only be losing 5-10% of your maximum possible fps from those cards due to a slightly slower cpu)

The power supply MAY be a problem for a crossfire amd solution however, but may not be the problem (is the only thing i can see that might be wrong from the spec sheet). From what i have read, for crossfire or sli on these higher performance cards, you generally want a 750 + watt power supply. The only reason i say that this MIGHT not be your problem is that under max load those cards might hit 200 watts each, with your cpu hitting i think 77-80 watts (might be higher as i am used to the intel power usages.. Everything else in the system will be using negligible amounts of power after those parts.

Otherwise your best bet would be to do a clean install of your whole computer and just start from scratch.

From that point, installing only one of your gpus at a time and testing each one would be wise., then perhaps checking that your drivers are up to date is your next best bet, as amd has only really recently gotten their drivers for crossfire to an acceptable playing level.

If the above two options do not work, then there is some other point in your system that is causing the decrease in performance purely due to malfunction. If you don't mind paying 60-120 $, take it to a computer store and they should be able to identify the problem.
Al
December 25, 2013 2:46:19 PM

asado999 said:

1. While those gpu solutions may work better, he already has the two cards and it would be unrealistic for him to do so, especially with amd FINALLY stepping up on their crossfire drivers. (plus i think his 2 cards will out fps the 770, and we won't talk about frametimes here as it isn't relevant since he already owns the cards
2. 8gb vs 16gb there has been quite a few benchmarks proving that you literally may not even see a 1 fps increase
3. I do agree with you on the psu. Crossfire on a 650 watt is a little much.
December 25, 2013 2:48:36 PM

tJava said:
That's odd. It might be the crossfire because I have 1 7850 and it runs Far Cry 3 on max settings with no lag.

Just curious, but you do mean 1080p, all details and AA maxed right? because that gpu will put out less than 20 fps under those conditions (1 card) I think 14 was then benchmarked number. 14fps is unplayable no matter who you are
December 25, 2013 2:52:53 PM

jcup said:
Colin Sivak said:

People need to start specifying the exact settings you are gaming with. Simply saying ultra implies all bells and whistles turned on, which the 7850 will not push out those numbers at. Fully maxed, AA included, the 7970 should push over 60 fps (buddies did 60-80 when fully maxed and OC'd) while my 680 at the time under water did 70-90 with a flashed bios and some serious overclocking
December 28, 2013 8:32:01 PM

Well im no expert but it is deffinatly NOT your processor, up untill last month i had the same just oced to 4.4ghz with a 290x and I had zero problems with anything, and im even running 3, 32 inch monitors. Charts with the 8120 vs intel dont prove anything unless youre running the exact same set up. Ive destroyed intel i5's with 770's and sli 660's. it all comes down to how you set em up.

Another hint.... Dont take advice from Intel users... its useless
December 30, 2013 10:21:04 AM

1.use 1 video card, hate sli/cfx because of driver/stuttering issues
2.use 2x4 ram not 1x8-maybe map isn't loading fast enough for the computer?
3. SSD? your hard drive may be too slow for loading
4. are your SATA cables OK?
5. change gpu cfx to x8/x8, not x16/x16. the difference between the 2 are miniscule(less than 1%) and has less issues(personal experience)
6.change your cpu to piledriver instead of bulldozer???

7.?????
December 30, 2013 3:45:12 PM

I have a question ... What errors are spewing out when running specific games ? Also what games are you playing ?
January 2, 2014 7:13:50 AM

Hey! I found out something which could be the cause - I was just trying out overclocking drivers throughout the web and then there was one like which I mis-setted a bit and it locked the FPS Rate to 1 FPS. Check this out once again and then, get a pirated Win7 OS from your local market and try to run all those games. I bet it would work.

(I know there's a lot of problems in setting up another OS, but for $1100, It's worth it.)

And if this doesn't help too, get your PC dismantled and re-built. Some part of your PC Must be placed incorrectly.

{[(Well, I don't see any reply form user "minnidoffa" and this could indicate that the problem is solved or left as it is. :\ )]}
January 2, 2014 12:30:32 PM

I would personally recommend AGAINST a pirated operating system, as these come with their own problems. The problems make the $100 for the operating system worth it in quite a few cases, and yeah, i think he either gave up or isn't following this anymore
January 2, 2014 7:22:06 PM

William Longstreet said:
minidoffa said:

All you need to know:
- DVD 1stk - OEM DVD-RW

(if you need more info
please tell)

games u listed are opimizec for intel cpu's and nvidia gpu's.... lol nice job on overpaying for parts though :) . not to mention the shit htat 2 amd cards give u in xfire

So even if they are optimized for Intel CPU's and Nvidia GPU's that doesn't mean AMD products won't work. Also AMD products are almost always cheaper until recent when the prices skyrocketed due to bitcoin mining.
January 2, 2014 8:51:00 PM

By overpaying, he meant that these specific parts could easily have been had for MUCH less money had the buyer shopped smart
January 5, 2014 5:26:39 AM

650 watt of psu isnt enough for your 2x7850 upgrade your psu 750 will do but go with 850 silver or gold certified hope this helps :) 
January 8, 2014 4:27:13 AM

Hey man,there is problem with amd processors and radeon gcards. When you install Catalyst Software start it up and in options you have performance tab. Click on CPU Performance and you can set how much cores you want to use effectively.Max cpu performance and you are good to go.
January 11, 2014 3:33:31 PM

minidoffa said:

All you need to know:
- DVD 1stk - OEM DVD-RW

(if you need more info
please tell)

Hello minidoffa,

Here are my findings, you have a 2 GB GDDR5 card (or two cards making it 4). 2GB of vram should take you through all modern games on at least medium to high settings. You should not be having any microstutter or much lag. Therefore i can debunk the graphics card as a problem. The main problem i am looking at is CPU power. Some games a very heavy on cpu power and light on gpu power. Intel Processors deliver, they perform much better per core for single core games. Also, check the max power throughput your motherboard alows to the cpu and gpu.
January 13, 2014 9:30:37 AM

for many games you need to enable crossfire in the catalyst control center for things to really work the way they should. Also microstutter is common with dual cards, no matter what company you have for your gpus
How to get Crossfire going:
1. install latest version of Drivers found Here
2. reboot
3. open up the AMD catalyst control panel
4. go to 3d application Settings
5.add a profile for AC4BFSP.exe or AC4BFMP.exe
6. leave everything as is except for amd CrossfireX Mode set that to Optimize 1x1
7. save
January 19, 2014 6:20:33 AM

Have you tried turning on the Vsync and see the results?
January 19, 2014 10:13:28 PM

If you have the time, reinstall windows. That basically gets rid of any software kinks or possible problems. If reinstalling fixes it, then you found it.

If it's still buggy, its a hardware issue. The FX-8100 series was not the fastest cpu but will get the job done. I think your motherboard has built in overclocking. If it does, try that. Remember if it refuses to boot after an OC'ing attempt, and all else fails, pull out the cmos to reset the bios to stock.

Try older drivers from amd. That might sound weird but sometimes running beta drivers can be unstable and not work properly on newer games.

It's also possible for one of your 7850's to be a dud. Test it by running one card solo, then run the other card solo and if there is any major (15-20 fps) difference you have your issue. Could be one was thermal throttling.

If everything fails, and you're running bone stock windows with amd known stable drivers and the framerate is still unplayable where it should be playable, remember the weakest link in that rig is the CPU. It may be 8 core, but it doesn't have the proper architecture that the 8300's and other visheras do.

Keep fiddling! I'm sure it'll be something really obvious! Post back with more info on how it's going.
!