Sign in with
Your question

Multi Media /Backup server.

November 30, 2012 10:52:06 PM

Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out quite how to do a Build that'll work as a Media PC (streaming etc) and as a dedicated back-up for my current Desktop /Laptops. (Long term I'm looking at an off site backup)

I know this much,

I want it to be a Mini ITX case, (ideally the Bitfenix Prodigy), and run with a RAID 1 array, with HDD's and one SSD for the Boot drive, Ideally I'd like to use windows 7 (still like to use it as a back up for PC gaming partially as well) but I'm open to using windows home server, or even a linux distro (though I known that'll reduce chances of gaming at all).

I believe all I would have to do is map the Raid array on the Network?
Never had my luck with Window's based solutions when it comes to this stuff (not much of a server guy, more of a Network Guy by trade).

I know I have to adjust my SATA Controllers to be in RAID mode for the array but do I have to do that from the start for the SSD as well? I don't want the PC SSD (boot drive) to be part of the raid array, or are the drives selected at the initial boot / first time setup for the RAID 1 setup, and the SSD just disregard then carry on with the Windows 7 install?

And as for the Raid 1 Array, I can add larger HDDs as time goes on I just have to adjust the partion size correct?

Feel free as I'm open to suggestions and recommendations, and I'm still relatively new to the hardware side.. I'm more similar with a Cisco Switch / Router sitting in a DC then servers tbh. :D 

-----------------Additional Details---------------

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: End of this this year Build to be done Mid to late December
Budget Range: 500 -100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Redundancy/Storage, Media, Gaming

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: may need assistance in understanding how the initial setup of the RAID and Devices should go

Regards,
-Crazed
!